News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Clark

Re: Is the putter cover a statement of what golf has become?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »
For those that don't use a cover  for their short stick, I think we can safely assume none of you have a putter made of carbon steel.  If you don't cover one that is, you are ultimately going to have a rusted head.  I use one for the one carbon steel putter I have.  I don't use one if I am gaming a stainless steel flatsick, because I hate taking it on and off, and I am going to lose it eventually anyway.

See absolutely nothing wrong with a cover for one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:02:19 PM by Greg Clark »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
The putter cover?...Nah, but these courses....Yeah!

Shadow Creek $500+
Pebble Beach     495+
Pinehurst #2     390+
Cascata             375+
Sawgrass             "
Cordevalle         360+
Spyglass              "
French Lick        350+
Whistling Sts.     340+
Kiawah               340+

......and that's just the top10 expensive publics.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
Putters are made of softer metals these days, I don't want my putter to be beat to hell. Now iron covers are the stupidest thing ever, if I see someone with iron covers I don't even want to play with them.

Iron covers are golf`s version of the pocket protector, both needless and nerdy. I have never used a putter cover and unless an assassin has a gun to my head I never will. One of the main reasons being that it will be lost within a couple rounds anyway. Is there anything worse than the guy who freaks out when he loses it and acts like he has lost his wallet. They are a dime a dozen for christ sake. I can see a few calls to the pro shop in the days after a round to see if they have your wedge but not a putter cover.

Ken Moum

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
I  really liked the striped black/white knit cover that came with my Ram Zebra back in the 70's.  I was deadly with that putter - especially from distance.   I still have the putter but not the cover.  If any of you haters have one, let me know.

Bogey

Neener, neener..... and since I have about 15 Zebras, I'm not selling....

But this guy is... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAM-ZEBRA-ORIGINAL-PUTTER-COVER-COLLECTOR-S-NOW-5-/250883140286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69cceabe

and this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEBRA-maroon-white-BLADE-MALLET-Putter-Cover-NEW-/300594587257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fcd56679
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:26:07 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom Walsh

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »
Wow- a putter for $300. Would not compute with me. I would rather play 4 or 5 times and use my old putter, whatever it may be.

Furthermore, perhaps my feeling toward a cover dates to my days as a caddy---when woods were woods and iron covers immediately identified a bad loop before we even teed off.  ;D

"vado pro vexillum!"

David_Elvins

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »
I have an old macdonald butter cover so I guess it is a statement if what golf has become. 

I am theoretically opposed to putter covers but after having to replace my last putter for no other reason than how dinged up it was, it make sense.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »
I have a putter cover and I'm proud of it.  I take care of my stuff, from cars to clubs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:34:17 PM by Brent Carlson »

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
Mike,

I must admit, I'm curious what that statement might be?  I have an idea in my head but was wondering what your original intent was.

$$$$$...
THE soft carbon steel BS doesn't fly...sounds sort of like the "reeech corinthian leather" from the old Chrysler commercials.
The Bullseye was as soft a metal as any putter ever made....we played with them dinged or not...NO COVERS

Selling $300 putters is pure marketing BS and when we reach a point where golf can absorb $300 putters then we are where we are now...that's all I'm saying.  
Next year we will have the $300 wedges and then covers for them.
But I was saying the cover symbolizes so much of the BS in golf from scented towels to cartpaths to urinals with wide screen TV's.  So it sort of confuses me when so many of the "soul"type golfers are protecting putters.  
PUT THE NEW EFFING PUTTER IN YOUR BAG AND USE IT...SHOW ME ONE TIME WHEN IT BEING DINGED MAKES YOU MISS A PUTT....IT'S TIME TO STOP ALL CRAP THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE GAME.  
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom Kelly

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
Bronze, Copper or Nickel clubs are not made anymore due to hazardous production methods which have seen production processes banned or made too expensive to be viable hence modern soft putters are made form Carbon Steel.

Carbon steel as it names suggests is prone to rust. Modern head covers such as the Scotty Cameron covers are designed so the lining absorbs the oil which is needed to be applied to protect the metal from rusting therefore protecting the putter whilst in use. If one of these putters gets wet and is left it will rust very quickly ruining the putter. Dings and scratches to putters of these materials will also eventually ruin the putter if on the face. They do not withstand a battering for long, trust me and a dented face doesn't do your chances of a good stroke much good.

I use a head cover to protect my putter as it is my pride and joy, I don't want to consider trying to replace it should something happen to it. It would cost me an absolute fortune to get the same model these days as it has become very collectible therefore I look after mine so I can continue to use it and enjoy it.

I also use iron head covers as my previous set of forged blades were smashed to pieces after a couple of years so when I bought a new set I decided to look after them as I can't afford to replace them every year and continue take some pride in them being in good condition. I would rather spend a few quid and keep them in good nick than shell out £700 every year.

If someone thinks I am worth playing against for money because I use iron head covers I am willing to to accept the challenge as long as we play off scratch....

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
Bronze, Copper or Nickel clubs are not made anymore due to hazardous production methods which have seen production processes banned or made too expensive to be viable hence modern soft putters are made form Carbon Steel.

Carbon steel as it names suggests is prone to rust. Modern head covers such as the Scotty Cameron covers are designed so the lining absorbs the oil which is needed to be applied to protect the metal from rusting therefore protecting the putter whilst in use. If one of these putters gets wet and is left it will rust very quickly ruining the putter. Dings and scratches to putters of these materials will also eventually ruin the putter if on the face. They do not withstand a battering for long, trust me and a dented face doesn't do your chances of a good stroke much good.

I use a head cover to protect my putter as it is my pride and joy, I don't want to consider trying to replace it should something happen to it. It would cost me an absolute fortune to get the same model these days as it has become very collectible therefore I look after mine so I can continue to use it and enjoy it.

I also use iron head covers as my previous set of forged blades were smashed to pieces after a couple of years so when I bought a new set I decided to look after them as I can't afford to replace them every year and continue take some pride in them being in good condition. I would rather spend a few quid and keep them in good nick than shell out £700 every year.

If someone thinks I am worth playing against for money because I use iron head covers I am willing to to accept the challenge as long as we play off scratch....

That is the first claim I have heard of irons needing covers so that they didn`t get smashed to pieces. How did it happen?

Tom Walsh

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian   ;D
"vado pro vexillum!"

Tom Kelly

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »

That is the first claim I have heard of irons needing covers so that they didn`t get smashed to pieces. How did it happen?

They are made from very soft forged steel, with a hell of a lot of use carrying them around in my bag they are constantly banging into each other eventually the dings all over the clubs, both the faces and backs made them a complete mess. If you imagine the damage a stone in a bunker can do to the groove of a soft wegde (dent it etc) but a hundred times over it takes its toll on the clubs. I played a hell of a lot of golf during that time with those clubs and the wear took its toll. If you were just knocking around with the old clubs you could get away with it, but playing to a decent standard I want decent clubs. The current clubs I have are almost identical but with the use of headcovers they still look and feel brand new and I've had them for over 5 years now, the faces are starting to wear a touch from hitting balls, but the rest of the club head is spot on.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:26:56 PM by Thomas Kelly »

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
 8) :P ???

Great topic and I'm so embarrassed.  For the first time in my life I've got a putter cover !    My white  :P :P :P spider works, so I can't ditch it. Do I get some slack from the cognoscenti because my driver goes without .......??.........

Eric Smith

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
Mike,

I must admit, I'm curious what that statement might be?  I have an idea in my head but was wondering what your original intent was.

$$$$$...
THE soft carbon steel BS doesn't fly...sounds sort of like the "reeech corinthian leather" from the old Chrysler commercials.
The Bullseye was as soft a metal as any putter ever made....we played with them dinged or not...NO COVERS

Selling $300 putters is pure marketing BS and when we reach a point where golf can absorb $300 putters then we are where we are now...that's all I'm saying.  
But I was saying the cover symbolizes so much of the BS in golf from scented towels to cartpaths to urinals with wide screen TV's.  So it sort of confuses me when so many of the "soul"type golfers are protecting putters.  
PUT THE NEW EFFING PUTTER IN YOUR BAG AND USE IT...SHOW ME ONE TIME WHEN IT BEING DINGED MAKES YOU MISS A PUTT....IT'S TIME TO STOP ALL CRAP THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE GAME.  

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Mike -- are you saying it's not so much about the economics of playing with $300 putters, but more the dorkonomics of using a cover on them? Because as you know, that leather bag you carry retails for more $$$$$ than two Camerons combined! Not that there's anything wrong with that -- as I have one myself. The bag...not the putter cover. Though...mine is the Original and yours is, well... ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
Go figure, I go out to hit some balls this afternoon and I see a guy with Titleist.....iron covers. What is Titleist thinking?

Mike_Young

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
Mike,

$$$$$...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Mike -- are you saying it's not so much about the economics of playing with $300 putters, but more the dorkonomics of using a cover on them? Because as you know, that leather bag you carry retails for more $$$$$ than two Camerons combined! Not that there's anything wrong with that -- as I have one myself. The bag...not the putter cover. Though...mine is the Original and yours is, well... ;D

Eric,
The bag you see is an original.  Who told you it wasn't?  I do have another that is very very similar and I really don't know the story on all of that.  Both seem to be fine.
Dorkonomics???  yep.  Lot of that goes on here.  But when you think of someone trying to make every dollar they can off of the sport then putter covers ranks up there as an idea that was dreamed up and marketed to the utmost. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »
Mike,

My bad. I had seen or read where you had one of the other guys bags. Now knowing you have both a MacKenzie and the other clears that up. Rich Corinthian Leather indeed... ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 12:24:22 AM »
Mike,

My bad. I had seen or read where you had one of the other guys bags. Now knowing you have both a MacKenzie and the other clears that up. Rich Corinthian Leather indeed... ;D
I like both of those guys but never have heard the story on how it all came to be.  What is the scoop.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
Mike Y,

Thanks for the clarification.  Your meaning of what golf has become is indeed a bit different than what I thought you had in mind.

Its the absorbing of every last profit dollar to be found that is most worrisome to you. I guess that could be an issue, but given that there are so many equipment options in golf, I don't know how big of a concern it is. 

Some people are early adopters and must have the latest and greatest of everything.  And if their income is such that they can afford a $300 putter, with a head cover, then so be it.  After all, the origins of this game was based on the rich, private model.  The concept of the every man playing golf came much later as I understand it.

So in my case, when the two ball putter 1st came out, I really really loved em, but couldn't afford one.  But sure enough I waited and I found one on sale about 4 years ago for $69, so I bought it.  But even that price may be out of the range of some golfers. Even today, I could scurry down to my local used golf club shop and pick up a cheapie putter for $15.  It may not be the best in the world, but it'll get the job down more or less.

In conclusion, given all of the previous years models, and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand clubs that are available....I think those who can afford the extra premium, and buy the fancy putters... is fine. No one is forcing them to do so.  If a individual person doesn't think $300 is a value proposition, then one can vote with their wallet and abstain...simple as that!

Golf remains, and ever will be a luxury item.  Its hard in my mind to come up with "reasonableness" in terms of pricing structure for a game that the vast majority of the worlds population can't afford to play.

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
Mike,

$$$$$...

I have a cover for my carbon steel putter, but it's got loads of nicks and dings, and a fair bit of rust, too. In short, tons of character.  However, I don't want it to rust any more so I do use a cover.   Sorry you find it so offensive.

Mike_Young

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
Mark,
did I say I found it offensive?  I don't find it offensive.  I find it indicative of where we have come in golf.  But that's not personal in anyway.
Why do you need a carbon steel putter.  Karsten developed the Anser and once it could be copied guys decided to make it out of carbon steel.  ...I have a SC newport2 but no cover....it puts no better than my anser... ;) ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »
Putter covers are way down the list. How about a $500 million dollar golf course? The islands for this project don't exist at this time, they're all going to be created:
Here's one photo, the slide show is below.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehkj45fmh/seafloor-walkway#content?partner=yahooca

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:55:05 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Mark,
did I say I found it offensive?  I don't find it offensive.  I find it indicative of where we have come in golf.  But that's not personal in anyway.
Why do you need a carbon steel putter.  Karsten developed the Anser and once it could be copied guys decided to make it out of carbon steel.  ...I have a SC newport2 but no cover....it puts no better than my anser... ;) ;)

I should clarify - Mike, I agree with you regarding the commodification of the game.  Golf clubs have become a "toys for boys (&girls)" items, to be used for a while, and then "upgraded".   However, I actually benefit from this because I never buy new clubs, and pick up all my stuff on ebay for less than half of what they cost new.   Why do I game a carbon steel putter?  A combination of choice and availability (I'm a lefty - there are few left-handed Newports in Stainless - boatloads of lefty Newport 2's in Stainless, but harder to find a straight up Newport).   The reason I use the headcover, ironically, is so that I don't have to buy another putter, or get this one refinished! Cameron doesn't even make OTR carbon putters anymore - he hasn't for years, primarily because he took a lot of flak from guys who dropped 250 bucks just to see the thing rust up in a couple weeks because they had no idea they had to keep them dry and oiled.   I do agree with you regarding the silliness of the current Scotty Cameron cult types who have 7 or 8 headcovers at a hundred bucks a pop.   That IS symbolic of the materialistic side of the game. 

mike_beene

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
I bet those Titleist iron covers are made by PIng or Taylor Made

John Kirk

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
I don't take care of my clubs.  Every club in the bag is over 5 years old, except I switched to a mallet-shaped putter about a year ago.  I used to have three head covers for the woods, but I lost the driver and 7-wood head covers.  The driver's graphite shaft has dings all over it, but hits the ball about the same.

I regard golf clubs as easily replaceable.  In particular, I don't think iron technology hasn't improved since the Ping Eye 2; they're all about the same.  Drivers haven't changed much either.  I like that my clubs are old and dinged up a bit, like experienced old friends.  I suppose I could take better care of them.  I might shave a quarter of a stroke off my handicap index.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back