News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Downers Grove Golf Club
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Downers Grove Golf Club - isn't this the original 9 holes from Chicago Golf Club?

From the website:
"This 9-hole par-36 scenic course offers a challenging, yet playable, golf experience for all skill levels. Practice your swing at the 24-station driving range, renew or purchase your 2011 pass, browse the pro shop for new gear, or relax in our Clubhouse while enjoying a snack and beverage."

Has anyone played the course and have any feedback.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Seitz

Re: Downers Grove Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
Matt Sander did a photo tour a while back.  I think a lot of the Chicago folks have played it at least once.  It's an interesting golf course, though I'm not sure off the top of my head how much of the original routing remains.  It's worth playing.  With regard to the history, Dan Moore would probably be the best guy to fill you in.  Here's a link to Matt's thread:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45309.msg992119.html#msg992119

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
Paul,
There's no original diagram of Chicago Golf Club at Belmont (now Downers Grove). The earliest is from a Green Book from a few years later, after some of the original property was no longer available and after the course had closed and reopened. Plus, Downers Grove was partly redesigned a few years ago, taking out the back-to-back par-3 opening holes that were thought to go back to the original layout.
In short, I doubt much of the current course matches the past, but it's a fun layout.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »
Much more elevation change than is typical for most Chicago-area courses. They have a tournament with local pros playing there in the spring. Pretty fun place to play.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
Downers is a really fun golf course but much of the layout has changed. The piece of land is fantastic though and the new superintendent has done a great job with the course.
Down with the brown

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back