News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

Dye "Bubba-Proofs" Whistling Straights
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
Here is the article from Golf Channel. Seems like pretty specific measures to counter a specific player....

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Call it Bubba’s Hillock.

OK, that’s not the official name of the small mountain going up in front of the new back tees at Whistling Straits’ fifth hole, but you wouldn’t be far off saying Whistling Straits owner Herb Kohler and architect Pete Dye have Bubba-proofed the hole. Actually, they’ve protected it from all long hitters like Bubba Watson, but Watson made the largest impression shrinking the course during his run into the PGA Championship playoff a little more than a year ago.

Whistling Straits’ head professional Mike O’Reilly gave this writer a sneak peek of some of the new tees in a visit during the U.S. Amateur last week. With the new fifth tee, the course will measure about 7,825 yards from the back tees. That’s 318 yards longer than the PGA Championship layout last year. Notably, it’s also longer than Erin Hills played (7,760 yards) during the U.S. Amateur, the longest layout in U.S. Golf Association championship history. Erin Hills is 60 miles southwest of Whistling Straits.

Whistling Straits will host the PGA Championship again in 2015 and the Ryder Cup in 2020.

Dye’s new back tee at No. 5 isn’t officially open for play yet, but it’s close. The new tee box adds 35 yards to the par 5, which will soon play to about 635 yards.

It’s a dogleg-right, around a pond. Watson used his driver to take a shortcut not imagined when Dye first built the hole.

“Bubba was hitting driver and 9-iron,” O’Reilly said. “It was a 310-yard carry the way he played it. That’s a 340-yard carry now.”

Notably, Dye also built a large mound (hillock) just to the right and front of the new tee box, which would help block a bid to cut the corner. Specifically, it blocks a favored left-handed Bubba fade.

There are also new tees at the 10th and 14th holes. With Dye mulling the possibility of building another new tee at the 16th, the course could soon play to 7,850 yards from the back tees, though there’s no guarantee the PGA Championship will be played from there when it returns in four years. Heck, by then, there might be even more new tees.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

jeffwarne

Re: Dye "Bubba-Proofs" Whistling Straights
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
Here is the article from Golf Channel. Seems like pretty specific measures to counter a specific player....

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Call it Bubba’s Hillock.

OK, that’s not the official name of the small mountain going up in front of the new back tees at Whistling Straits’ fifth hole, but you wouldn’t be far off saying Whistling Straits owner Herb Kohler and architect Pete Dye have Bubba-proofed the hole. Actually, they’ve protected it from all long hitters like Bubba Watson, but Watson made the largest impression shrinking the course during his run into the PGA Championship playoff a little more than a year ago.

Whistling Straits’ head professional Mike O’Reilly gave this writer a sneak peek of some of the new tees in a visit during the U.S. Amateur last week. With the new fifth tee, the course will measure about 7,825 yards from the back tees. That’s 318 yards longer than the PGA Championship layout last year. Notably, it’s also longer than Erin Hills played (7,760 yards) during the U.S. Amateur, the longest layout in U.S. Golf Association championship history. Erin Hills is 60 miles southwest of Whistling Straits.

Whistling Straits will host the PGA Championship again in 2015 and the Ryder Cup in 2020.

Dye’s new back tee at No. 5 isn’t officially open for play yet, but it’s close. The new tee box adds 35 yards to the par 5, which will soon play to about 635 yards.

It’s a dogleg-right, around a pond. Watson used his driver to take a shortcut not imagined when Dye first built the hole.

“Bubba was hitting driver and 9-iron,” O’Reilly said. “It was a 310-yard carry the way he played it. That’s a 340-yard carry now.”

Notably, Dye also built a large mound (hillock) just to the right and front of the new tee box, which would help block a bid to cut the corner. Specifically, it blocks a favored left-handed Bubba fade.

There are also new tees at the 10th and 14th holes. With Dye mulling the possibility of building another new tee at the 16th, the course could soon play to 7,850 yards from the back tees, though there’s no guarantee the PGA Championship will be played from there when it returns in four years. Heck, by then, there might be even more new tees.

zzzzzzz....
a Hinkle mound?
whatever risk reward there is, take it out.
Do you need an architect to do that?
more 6 minute abs.... (or is it 8000 yard abs?)
In fact why  not just go to 10000 yards?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Day

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
that's a lot of effort for one bloke whose going to possibly play there in 2015

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Now it truly plays like that ancient template "Serpent" Pete saw on his first trip to GB&I. :

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:20:22 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »
"That’s a 340-yard carry now."

...I wouldn't be surprised if Bubba could make that carry 4 years from now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:21:58 PM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
"That’s a 340-yard carry now."

...I wouldn't be surprised if Bubba could make that carry 4 years from now.

Absolutely, and the PGA can go one up on the USGA with a "driveable par 5" concept
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:55:33 AM »
Pete is out of control....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
Being able to take additional risk by taking that line should be rewarded. Does Pete want to make sure that it's the worst hole on the course through 2020?
H.P.S.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
To be fair, I don't think Dye ever wanted or planned for anyone to ever cut that corner. When he designed the hole he didn't want it to ever play that way. So honestly I don't see how ensuring the golfer actually drives it in the intended driving zone is that big a deal. To me it's the equivalent to a hole where some people play down an adjacent fairway to cut 100 yards off the hole. Would it be that big a deal if the architect suddenly planted a stand of trees near the tee to make sure they actually hit it down the correct fairway? I don't really see the drama here.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
The sad part is that it's actually a better hole if going for it is an option....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
that's a lot of effort for one bloke whose going to possibly play there in 2015

Not to mention that all the regular players are paying high fees to play there so that they can spend the money on the course to prepare it for the tour bombers.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
Matt K, why is it necessary for any architect to dictate how his holes are played?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
Matt K, why is it necessary for any architect to dictate how his holes are played?

Pete Dye in particular is known for his delight in giving the tour player fits. In this case, he has provided plenty of tees for the regular player to decide how he wants to play the hole. However, Pete would rather be in control when the tour player comes to visit.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
Does this mean the hole now has 6 tee boxes? 

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
The sad part is that it's actually a better hole if going for it is an option....

ding ding ding :)
H.P.S.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

I don't understand your logic. The hole was NEVER meant to incorporate that option. I don't understand how this is not understood. What would happen if hell's half acre was suddenly driveable because distance got so out of hand? Would you say ''moving the tee back is removing the option of driving it over the bunker?'' The hole was never meant to be played that way. Yes, I agree it sucks that it has come to this, but what do you want to do? Besides, it's not like adding one tee changes anyhting for the resort golfer. I think you are making way too much of this.

Also, if a couple of golfer's were able to take that shortcut in 2010, by 2020 maybe half the field will be able to? Would you still be saying to leave the hole the way it is?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Brian Hilko

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
I do not find this that big of a deal. They do not even put the back tees there for regular play. The line Dustin and Bubba were taking for the PGA was crazy. I do not like to watch guys hit 9 iron into a par 5. It is to big an advantage for the 5 players that can pull off that carry.
Down with the brown

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »
True. I also think that they should flatten the greens considerably, because right now it is too big an advantage for the best putters in the field. Generally, courses should cater to all abilities and skills in the same way, so that everyone has the same chance of winning. Another idea would be even simpler to implement: allow players to make that huge carry, but if they do, then count the hole as a par 4 for them. Then their birdie is just as difficult as the birdie for the short player going around the lake - everyone hits 9 iron into the green. Perfectly fair I should think.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:39:58 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
True. I also think that they should flatten the greens considerably, because right now it is too big an advantage for the best putters in the field. Generally, courses should cater to all abilities and skills in the same way, so that everyone has the same chance of winning. Another idea would be even simpler to implement: allow players to make that huge carry, but if they do, then count the hole as a par 4 for them. Then their birdie is just as difficult as the birdie for the short player going around the lake - everyone hits 9 iron into the green. Perfectly fair I should think.

Ulrich

Urich,,
Please tell me there's some sarcasm in there.........

William_G

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
Let's just call it a manufactured course and get it over with, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Pete is out of control....
I'd say the game is out of control, Pete is just reacting. It's pathetic. The snoring we hear is coming from the USGA and R&A HQ's. Have another pint lads.

Hell, Pete should add 10 to 15-yards to each of the other holes and make it a smooth 8,000-yard course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back