News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Scott Warren

Newcastle is a little bit of a sleeper in Aussie golf, at least that's what I have found. In Sydney (2hrs to its south), when talk turns to top golf courses nearby people will rarely mention "Newie", but any time it gets mentioned, everyone in earshot will mention how much they love it and how great it is.

It's a remarkably endearing place, an extremely friendly club and the course is as idyllic as you'll find - other than on 17 and 18, which flank a fairly busy road. The sea is only a few hundred metres away from the course, so wind is generally a factor.

Above all it uses some very good land extremely well, playing over the sizeable undulations with a good variety of greensites, and accepting the blind (or blind-ish) drives (1, 2, 5, 8, 10, 11, 15, 18) with generally ample room to accommodate the reduced visibility.

As well as being really natural, the course is fairly subtle - particularly at the greens, which don't feature many large undulations but have enough going on that there aren't many straight putts. Even inside five feet.

For the most part the greens use steady slopes and very slight ridges and gullies to create challenge. In a lot of ways Newcastle's greens remind me of The Valley Club of Montecito. At both courses it's hard to see much in the greens from 100or even 50 metres away, but the movement is there and it's critical that you keep your ball below the hole.

In and around the greens there is no superfluous shaping. What's there is there for the golf - effective and simple.

I also really like the natural and low-key bunker aesthetics. The course could perhaps handle some bolder bunkering on the wilder land, but in some ways I think the bunkering sums up Newcastle GC: understated, not showy, but effective and well thought out.

The course doesn't feel long, yet it measures 6200m (6820yds) and the par threes will generally require a wood (217m), a mid to short iron (148m), a long iron (173m) and another hybrid or wood (212m).

The par fives only measure 414m, 473m, 485m and 445m, but the 4th and 9th play up steep hills to the green and both the 9th and 10th play over heavy fairway undulations.

The fours are a varied set, with seven between 361m and 391m, another at 352m and the last couple at 325m and 326m - but with such a variety of land very few play similarly.

Lastly, the vegetation - mostly native species including ti tree, eucalyptus and some ferny heath - is well managed and makes the course feel undoubtedly Australian in character.

1st - 376m
The drive is over a slight hill, with longer hitters able to steal extra metres down the steep slope in the foreground of the picture. The green sits up high and demands accuracy, with a slightly angled ridge through the middle making putting tough. A fairly ballsy opener, all things considered.

2nd - 361m
Another semi-blind drive back over the same ridge that is traversed on the 1st. In a theme that is repeated a few times later in the round, the ridge requires less distance to reach (and less height to climb in some cases) if you play away from the ideal line - a great example of how Eric Apperley used the land to create the strategy and challenge here.

3rd - 217m
Plays a lot like a smart short par four (which it will be for many), with a short bunker about 170m off the tee guarding the mouth of the green and the angle worsening the further right you err.

4th - 414m
Bunkers guard the inside of the hole (ugly modern ones, it must be said, built into geometric mounds that really make you appreciate the bunkering elsewhere on the course) and most golfers need to flirt with them to have a hope of reaching and holding the green in two shots. If you find yourself laying up, the third is a tough wedge to a green you can't see, set on an angle and tucked between bunkers.

5th - 368m
The start of the three-hole stretch Newcastle is best known for. A draw down the saddle sets up a mid iron approach, unless your length allows you to run down a steep ridge to about 110m from the green. The green is pressed up making a lateral miss an almost certain bogey, while the front of the green is set just beyond a slight upslope - another feature of the course.

6th - 367m
Doglegging left back in the opposite direction, a draw is again the best shape, with the ideal driving position down the left beyond the dune. There has been some tree clearing here recently and if the left were opened up a bit more I could see merit in a drive bunker set into the dune on that side, perhaps. The depth of the green is hidden from the DZ and it uses steady slope to make putting tough.

7th - 148m
A great par three and not bad to look at, either. More downhill than it appears and the green runs off fairly steeply at the back. A little cut off the LHS bunker is ideal for those who can hit one.

8th - 325m
A clever little par four, where the drive is over a ridge and the modest length leads those who can go deep to favour the right, when the approach demands to come from the left, where the green mouth points. More great use of land not just in the ridge you drive over but also the green set on a high point that repels anything mediocre.

9th - 473m
A large ridge in the drive zone will kick you forward if you melt one, but for most golfers will render the second shot blind, before an uphil iron to another deceptively deep, and steep, green.

10th - 485m
Plays over a steep, high ridge on the drive - the successful negotiation of which will earn you the ability to clear a second ridge on the approach and have a simple pitch to set up a birdie. But if the drive isn't straight, you are likely to find that you can't get past the second ridge with your second and you approach way be blind to a strongly bunkered green. A really intriguing hole.

11th - 326m
More great land-inspired design. The left side of the fairway is much more visible from the tee, but offers a less than ideal line to the green, set on a high point with steep slopes front and back. If you take on the blindness (and fairway bunker ) on the right you get the A1 line in.

12th - 173m
The short right bunker keeps you honest if you elect to bounce one in to the "speedhump" green that slopes down at the front and back and is set from about 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock, with bunkers both sides. A simple challenge, well excecuted.

13th - 445m
I'm upset I didn't get more than the one picture of the green. The drive is one where the right presents a longer carry up and across the ridge, but a successful shot down that line brings the green within reach. But the left is a less taxing shot and from there you're playing it as a three-shotter. Smart (and gorgeous) bunkering 60m short on the left guards the lay-up really well and the green has a few separate sections that are a real test to putt between.

14th - 391m
Maybe the most continually undulating fairway on the course that will present plenty of awkward stances and another green that plays a lot tougher than it looks.

15th - 382m
As blind a drive as you will find, where hitting the middle of the fairway is really all you can shoot for. The green is a great sidehill effort that falls out of the dune on which the 1st green is set and gives a good opportunity to run the ball in and use the slopes to your advantage.

16th - 212m
Doesn't have the intricacy of the 3rd, but a tricky understated green that slides off the hill on the left gives the hole a little something to hang its hat on.

17th - 385m
Another hole where driving down the centre to left is ideal, before a demanding long iton up the hill to a green that is steep in front and runs hard from left to right. The bunkering on the left there, blending into the heath, is some of my favourite on the course.

18th - 352m
A coy little two-shot hole to finish. The drive is over a dune and you can get a nice boost if you flush one. The green is on a steep back to front slope over a valley and makes the final approach - likely to be a short iron - one you'll still have to think about and execute well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:42:09 AM by Scott Warren »

Sean_A

Re: NEWCASTLE GC, Stockton, Aus -- A masterclass in using the land
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:50:16 AM »
Zowie!  Look at all those mounded greens with sharpish slopes! I like the look of 1, 4, 6, 11 & 15 a lot.  Did you feel the raised and sloped greens were a bit repetitive or were teh bunker schemes enough to keep you engaged?

Thanks for another lovely tour Scott.  I really enjoy you present courses.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
Interestingly Scott, your photo of the 4th shows the bunker short left of the green that has recently been filled in.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »
Sean: I reckon you'd love Newcastle. The land is king. There's little repetition because of the different way the landforms are used and the different uses of bunkering. And it's subtle.

Andrew: If the bunker is filled in, it has been filled in in the last four days - those pics are from last Saturday! Or do you mean there was a bunker in the sandy area roped off with red and white tape?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
Andrew: If the bunker is filled in, it has been filled in in the last four days - those pics are from last Saturday! Or do you mean there was a bunker in the sandy area roped off with red and white tape?

Yes, there was a bunker in the sandy roped off area, short of the greenside bunker.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:30 AM »
That would have been a hell of a tough bunker shot. It's a hard enough shot from just short of there on a good lie!

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
I only played 9 holes at Newcastle but drove around the back.  The back appeared significantly more difficult than the front.

The course also felt pretty tight tee to green between the trees. 

I'd love to play the whole course someday.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, I think Newcastle was our fearless leader Ran's home course during his time in Australia.  Check out his profile in "Courses by Country" for his thoughts.   

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:55 AM »
Scott

Am glad you finally travelleld up the highway to see Newcastle GC. I believe you have now seen most of what are generally considered NSW's "better" courses - how do you view Newcastle in relation to them ?

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:58 AM »
KP: I'd played Newcastle once before, albeit maybe a decade or more ago. Let me think for a bit on a NSW top 10.

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
Newcastle is a really great place to play golf.  I cannot believe I did not trust the judgement of its supporters enough to get to there earlier than this month.

Sorry if this post is inane but I am too much in love with the course right now to conduct any meaningful analisys.  everytime I think about it my heart flutters and my stomach feels funny
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:34:34 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:05 AM »
I am assuming the 4th is still a par 5.
Do we all agree that a 414 metre hole in this age is too short to be called a par 5?
I understand what the club choose to call it doesn't really matter but it seems to be a classic example of a hole that was deemed 'too easy' so the awful bunkers down the right were added to make it harder and justify still calling it a par 5.
I have not seen it for a few years now but surely it would be a better hole with the bunkers removed and called what it is - a par 4.

And just because the 3rd is a hard and long three does not justify calling this a 5.The 15th and 16th at Carnoustie are just as hard.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
Sean: I reckon you'd love Newcastle. The land is king. There's little repetition because of the different way the landforms are used and the different uses of bunkering. And it's subtle.

Scott

Assuming the course is wide enough with all those slopes, I couldn't agree more - it does look like my sort of golf.

Ciao

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 03:34:37 AM »
Mike: agreed that the fairway bunkers on 4 are as fugly a they come, but without that side of the fairway being defended wouldn't the hole lose some interest?

With the green up so high the hole is on the cusp of being unreachable for even many good players, so the added difficulty and length of the second shot as you progressively shy away from the sand carries a fairly big consequence: bail out too much and you may not be able to reach the green, as well as the angle becoming so poor that going for it becomes an extremely low percentage play.

At least that's how it seems to me.

As for the par, I reckon they should really put a cat among the pigeons and call the 3rd a "par 3.5"and the 4th a "par 4.5". Try to calculate your stableford points then! Or just box them as a joint par 9!

KP: I really can't decide what order NSWGC, The Lakes and Newcastle deserve to be positioned in, were I to list them 1-3, but they are comfortably the best three I have played in NSW ( NB: I haven't played Elanora, but I think it's the only "highly rated" course missing off my list).

Sean: What are you waiting for man - get down here! I can even arrange some meet and greets within your industry (ies) so you can write the whole thing off on tax!

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 03:46:53 AM »
Scott

I would dearly love to visit Oz, but it just isn't in the cards for the immediate future for this ex-pat.  You will understand when your parents get to that age when every moment spent with them is worth far more than if spent anywhere else. 

Ciao

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 04:22:31 AM »
I am assuming the 4th is still a par 5.
Do we all agree that a 414 metre hole in this age is too short to be called a par 5?
I understand what the club choose to call it doesn't really matter but it seems to be a classic example of a hole that was deemed 'too easy' so the awful bunkers down the right were added to make it harder and justify still calling it a par 5.
I have not seen it for a few years now but surely it would be a better hole with the bunkers removed and called what it is - a par 4.

And just because the 3rd is a hard and long three does not justify calling this a 5.The 15th and 16th at Carnoustie are just as hard.

The 4th tee is not that big & we always play it from the back in comps because the hole is so short for a par 5. I can’t see why the tee couldn’t be made larger at the front so normal comps could be played from between 390 – 400m & medal comps & championships could be played from 414m. That would allow most golfers to be able to reach the green in 2, yet would still play as a difficult par 4.

Interestingly, when we had the black marker comps, we played everything from the back tees with the 4th & 13th as par 4’s. The courses played as a 6400m par 70. Of course this was all pointless as they were always stroke events. I played behind a guy that shot 125 in one of those comps. That was fun! In fact, on another day our good friend Richard Chamberlain scored 13 on two separate holes.

The fairway bunkers on the 4th are truly awful. There were only two bunkers there for many years, with 6 of them being added about 12 years ago. There is a fair bit of room to the right of those bunkers. I could easily see some more aesthetically pleasing bunkering that doesn’t intrude on the fairway as more, but still gives the golfer who wants the easier shot to the green something to think about.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:01:35 AM »
Thanks Scott

Showing my age here

The australian pga assistants chmpionship was played at newcastle for a number of years in the early 90's and i played a dozen rounds and loved it a great deal

My recollection is that we started from 1and 10 with the par 3 3rd being the 10th in the course we played

Has the order of play changed or might they have played that event on a temp hole order?

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 06:14:10 AM »

As for the par, I reckon they should really put a cat among the pigeons and call the 3rd a "par 3.5"and the 4th a "par 4.5". Try to calculate your stableford points then! Or just box them as a joint par 9!

Scott

stick to journalism, don't take up finance, whatever you do.... ::)

3.5 plus 4.5 equals .......9 ????

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »
Andrew: I'm not sure how that routing might have worked Mike C and/or Andrew S might know.

James: Indeed. That's pretty embarrassing!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
Mike: agreed that the fairway bunkers on 4 are as fugly a they come, but without that side of the fairway being defended wouldn't the hole lose some interest?

With the green up so high the hole is on the cusp of being unreachable for even many good players, so the added difficulty and length of the second shot as you progressively shy away from the sand carries a fairly big consequence: bail out too much and you may not be able to reach the green, as well as the angle becoming so poor that going for it becomes an extremely low percentage play.

At least that's how it seems to me.

Agreed. The elevation of the 4th green, not to mention the greenside bunkers, green angulation, and trouble over the back makes the hole harder than the yardage suggests. Par 4 wouldn't be right IMHO.

I know someone who thinks the 3rd should be shortened by 40 odd metres, with the green moved slightly left. That would allow the 4th tee to move back, and with a little yardage, it could be a genuine 5. (I'd love to address the drive bunkers on 4 too - they are seriously poor.)

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks Scott

Showing my age here

The australian pga assistants chmpionship was played at newcastle for a number of years in the early 90's and i played a dozen rounds and loved it a great deal

My recollection is that we started from 1and 10 with the par 3 3rd being the 10th in the course we played

Has the order of play changed or might they have played that event on a temp hole order?

Andrew,

The 3rd was actually the 1st for a while, but that was back in the 70's when the green was smaller than it is now making the hole measure 223m from memory. It has always been the 3rd since I've been a member there.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
I know someone who thinks the 3rd should be shortened by 40 odd metres, with the green moved slightly left. That would allow the 4th tee to move back, and with a little yardage, it could be a genuine 5. (I'd love to address the drive bunkers on 4 too - they are seriously poor.)

MM

I'm with Andrew  ;)

RichMacafee

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
I think the 3rd should be played as a short 4 and the 4th as a mid/long 4 with some bunker modifications.

The 4th green and approach isn't good for a par.5. IMO, there is no lay up area that adds any strategic merit to the hole and the green site is much better suited to a par 4 approach.

A touch more length on 3 and it would be an excellent short 4.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
Rich,

What sort of club does a golfer of your calibre have into the 4th?

RichMacafee

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »
I think I hit a 5-iron from memory Scott
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back