News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Check out how the big bunker to the right of the 3rd green is developing...

July 2011

May 2012
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:13:26 PM by Eric Smith »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
How long is that hole? That bunker looks really cool.

Eric Smith

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

Sam,

200 yds or so from there.

I too think that bunker is cool, but you probably don't want to go in there! I took this shot last fall from down near the bottom. That fella up top is standing on the green.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

Sam,

200 yds or so from there.

I too think that bunker is cool, but you probably don't want to go in there! I took this shot last fall from down near the bottom. That fella up top is standing on the green.

I'm screwed, my draw would have to come in over that bunker, give me a 4.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
Call me crazy Eric, but you know it IS possible to hit a ball straight! :)  If it draws anyway, at least you don't make worse than four from the left of that green.

Since my misses are mostly left, I was carefully checking out what a miss left would mean for each hole when we were touring the course last summer.  This one didn't look so bad, we should just leave it to the slicers to be terrified on this tee!

That is one deep bunker though, these photos do not do it justice at all...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
 That is a very nice photo of #3. There are quite a few guys out here with cameras so hopefully more will be posted as I'm sure many great photos have been snapped in the last few days. Construction is moving at a brisk pace here as Brian Schneider and Jonathan have been working their magic with most of front 9 shaped, and holes 5 & 6 will be completely irrigated by tomorrow.  Seeding to start very soon.

I have a feeling the 5th major participants will like what they see.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
Don:

That was a pretty good week ... we have basically shaped all of the front nine (with a couple of bunkers left to finish) in three weeks, with a D-5 and an excavator.  You can't do that on most pieces of ground!

Ben Sims

« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Don:

That was a pretty good week ... we have basically shaped all of the front nine (with a couple of bunkers left to finish) in three weeks, with a D-5 and an excavator.  You can't do that on most pieces of ground!

So badly want to be there.   I'm out of the fight! :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:14:58 AM by Ben Sims »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
Don:

That was a pretty good week ... we have basically shaped all of the front nine (with a couple of bunkers left to finish) in three weeks, with a D-5 and an excavator.  You can't do that on most pieces of ground!

So badly want to be there.   I'm out of the fight! :(

Ben - you and your spirit are missed.

Things are really coming along ;)

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
Some photos from earlier today courtesy of Jaeger Kovich.

#3  Par 3   190...ish? (not sure)

#5  Par 3...230?...more or less

#6  Par 4 from the back...300 or so...(I think)

From a little closer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:46 AM »
Don:

I believe the sixth hole is about 340 yards from the back tee.

Looks great ... looks like the bunkers to the left are already getting a bit of wind shaping.  When are you going to start putting down seed?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
Don:

I believe the sixth hole is about 340 yards from the back tee.

Looks great ... looks like the bunkers to the left are already getting a bit of wind shaping.  When are you going to start putting down seed?

Tom,

Nice work with the shaping - not too sure about the wind shaped bunkers - I cant help feeling that the natural big pit bunker on 3 should have been left alone almost like Calamity at Portrush.

I would have thought a few sod wall pot bunkers like the ones at the Renaissance Club in Scotland would be better suited for this landscape rather than 'flash up' bunkers which I feel are detrimental to the original look ie. the landscape before the golf course was constructed and sod wall pot bunkers would 'hide' the sand as well as protect it from the wind which will reduce the amount of sand to re fill these bunkers. Its just my personal view.

Would love to play Dismal one day and look forward to seeing the finished article.

Cheers
Ben

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
Tom,
Been a bit on the windy side, expect 4 grns to be seeded by thurs/fri.

Ben, those wind shaped bunkers you find detrimental to the landscape are actually naturally occuring all over the sand hills.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
Tom,
Been a bit on the windy side, expect 4 grns to be seeded by thurs/fri.

Ben, those wind shaped bunkers you find detrimental to the landscape are actually naturally occuring all over the sand hills.

Hi Don,

Thanks for letting me know as most of the pre-construction work photos show natural grassy hollows - it is nice to have some reference to other parts of the landscape. Having seen the photos again - where are these sand hills? as I can't see them in close vicinity to the new golf course in these recent photos.

Cheers
Ben

Mike Hendren

« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »
Why did the architect feel compelled to improve upon this?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Michael,

Bunkers are less penal and more beautiful than gunch.  Why would anyone want a guy who just missed a 200 yd par three to have to take an unplayable lie?  I don't think you would prefer they planted grass which in the Sand Hills is less natural than a bunker.  Damn thing would probably turn into a bunker anyway with all the golfers climbing up and down the thing once play begins.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
INCREDIBLE

Mike Hendren

« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Good point, except now he can take an unplayable after he leaves his bunker shot short in the bank.  

That depression is as beautiful a natural golf course feature as I've ever seen.  Look at all that room to the left and explain to me why on earth anyone would not desperately try to avoid it at all costs.  

Actually Barney, I'd prefer to fill the bottom and have one hell of a dell, but that's not my point.   Should not an architect not always ask WWED - What Would Engh Do?

Respectfully,

Bogey
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:20:07 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
What's the prevailing wind on that hole?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
Good point, except now he can take an unplayable after he leaves his bunker shot short in the bank.  

That depression is as beautiful a natural golf course feature as I've ever seen.  Look at all that room to the left and explain to me why on earth anyone would not desperately try to avoid it at all costs.  

Gravity will fight balls that desire to stay on the bank.  As far as why anyone would end up to the right I ask myself the same question on 14 at the Nicklaus course.  The penalty is as much physical as mathematical given the difficult climb up and out of the hole.  At least it is earlier in the round.  I hope the green is built so that those who bail, fail.  You know, not everyone plays for bogey.

JESII

« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »

I hope the green is built so that those who bail, fail.  You know, not everyone plays for bogey.

Doesn't that explain the squirell?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
I guess a lot of the questions about the nature of our third hole need a bit more background.

The natural grass cover in the sand hills is a mixture of all sorts of grasses -- everything from buffalo grass to orchard grass to a bit of fine fescue here and there.  John Kavanaugh used the quaint midwestern term "gunch" which accurately depicts what it feels like when your all is in it and the cows haven't grazed it down lately.

To turn the hazard right of #3 into a grassy hollow like at Portrush would require irrigation and seeding to fine fescue -- and the 2:1 slope down into the bunker would STILL be difficult to maintain no matter what the circumstance. 

A smaller bunker like the one on the left would probably hold up a bit better in the wind if it were revetted, but revetting bunkers every 2-3 years is not entirely cost-effective, either.  Sand Hills Golf Club has had success in reducing wind erosion over the last few years by using a soil cement in the winter months to prevent things from blowing around, and that's likely how we will address the issue at Dismal.

I just got back from Pacific Dunes where we went over all the same issues -- it's much tougher to solve there because the golf course is always in play and the wind is always in play, too.

P.S. to Jud:  Prevailing wind in the sand hills is "full on", but the direction changes often enough that it's not much use trying to peg it.

Will Lozier

« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »
I guess a lot of the questions about the nature of our third hole need a bit more background.

The natural grass cover in the sand hills is a mixture of all sorts of grasses -- everything from buffalo grass to orchard grass to a bit of fine fescue here and there.  John Kavanaugh used the quaint midwestern term "gunch" which accurately depicts what it feels like when your all is in it and the cows haven't grazed it down lately.

To turn the hazard right of #3 into a grassy hollow like at Portrush would require irrigation and seeding to fine fescue -- and the 2:1 slope down into the bunker would STILL be difficult to maintain no matter what the circumstance.  

A smaller bunker like the one on the left would probably hold up a bit better in the wind if it were revetted, but revetting bunkers every 2-3 years is not entirely cost-effective, either.  Sand Hills Golf Club has had success in reducing wind erosion over the last few years by using a soil cement in the winter months to prevent things from blowing around, and that's likely how we will address the issue at Dismal.

I just got back from Pacific Dunes where we went over all the same issues -- it's much tougher to solve there because the golf course is always in play and the wind is always in play, too.

P.S. to Jud:  Prevailing wind in the sand hills is "full on", but the direction changes often enough that it's not much use trying to peg it.

Thanks for the background and details in the decision making process - maintenance is an obvious consideration.  I still think the untouched "pit" looked unbelievable untouched reminding me of the right side of #13 at Lahinch along with the mention of Portrush.  Could it have been left completely natural - without any further seeding or irrigation and what would the downside have been?

Cheers

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
Maybe this doesn't matter to the purists in the world but when I take guests out the the Sand Hills they want to play out of the sand.  It would be an embarrassment to drive up from North Platte seeing bunker after natural bunker along side the road to arrive at a golf course with man made grass hollers.  I also don't get why anyone would want bunkers on a golf course that look different than the ones in the wild.  Jesus people, you don't think you see golf holes for miles and miles because there are tees and greens scattered out in the distance.  It's Bunkerville, USA.

Will Lozier

« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Maybe this doesn't matter to the purists in the world but when I take guests out the the Sand Hills they want to play out of the sand.  It would be an embarrassment to drive up from North Platte seeing bunker after natural bunker along side the road to arrive at a golf course with man made grass hollers.  I also don't get why anyone would want bunkers on a golf course that look different than the ones in the wild.  Jesus people, you don't think you see golf holes for miles and miles because there are tees and greens scattered out in the distance.  It's Bunkerville, USA.

Jesus John ;)...what has been suggested by a few and answered by Tom is that ONE specific natural pit LOOKED great and might have been left untouched.  Tom has hinted that he thought about leaving it alone before maintenance considerations - is this fair to say Tom?  Bunkerville, USA?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:18:21 AM by Will Lozier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back