News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
Thanks for posting all the pictures.

The Renaissance Boys seem to simply make the right decisions based on logic.  When one first arrives at Dismal River (which I did mid-construction of the first course) one instantly knows that the land where the Doak Course is located is a special place.  Interests me that the the first course was not there from the get go............I am not say the location for the Nicklaus course is bad, it just wouldn't have been my first choice.  Nonetheless, great golf in the land of the Huskers is a good consolation for the poor performing football team in Lincoln.  Go Big Red.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »

I got a hair cut and I look much thinner now in person.  What I found most interesting and what some will find unbelievable is how the tee sites exist as naturally as the greens.  This is one tee on 18 out on a peninsula with several others just sitting there waiting to be used.  There will be some tree removal but little dirt moved leaving an amazing finishing hole.

Just this year someone told me that I must have been an amazing athlete to be able to hit the ball considering all the crap going on with my body.  Now I wonder where the compliment in that statement lies.  I can't believe I bought pants that large without going to the big and tall store.  Driver, 9 iron in case anyone is asking.

Great image.

Nothing cooler than hitting off a natural tee before it gets "improved". You get to tee it up - who needs the tight bent?

Reminds me of the tees on another Doak course - Apache Stronghold

JK - pounds can be shed, but having hair - hence the ability to wear a visor - is better..

note: Eric posted a few new pictures on page 4.  Not fair sneaking them in the back door.

JC Jones

« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:26 AM »
I wish I could have been there to watch football with CJ.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
Jason - I was wondering where you were...that was like watching paint dry or bread toast, only longer.  A lot less exciting than watching grass grow!  

Congrats to the Sparties!

Michael George

« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:23 AM »

For those worried about Nebraska, don't fret.  The Buckeyes are coming to town this Saturday evening.  Big Red will destroy them. 

The last time the Buckeyes were 11 point underdogs was the National Championship Game in which they beat Miami.  It was interference JF, sorry.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jud_T

« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »

Chris,

You seem like a glass-half full kind of guy, which is great, but let's not get carried away.  Michigan will be 5 point favorites in East Lansing or I will be taking out a second mortgage.  We all know all that town's good for anyway is easy access to a Medical Marijuana Card... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »

Chris,

You seem like a glass-half full kind of guy, which is great, but let's not get carried away.  Michigan will be 5 point favorites in East Lansing or I will be taking out a second mortgage.  We all know all that town's good for anyway is easy access to a Medical Marijuana Card... ;)

How many years in a row is this that Michigan has won both the September National Championship and the September Heisman?  You'd think after 3 years of this you'd wait until after October to talk trash.  Hopefully you'll get to 7 wins this year, I know how hard that has been after your previous 5-0 starts.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jud_T

« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »

Chris,

How many years in a row is this that Michigan has won both the September National Championship and the September Heisman?  You'd think after 3 years of this you'd wait until after October to talk trash.  Hopefully you'll get to 7 wins this year, I know how hard that has been after your previous 5-0 starts.

If you want to start talking about history, I don't think you'll win that argument.  All that matters is what happens at noon EST a week from Saturday with the current lineups... (fyi- in 1902 we won 119-0... ;D)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
Fitting with the stereotype, the UM guy brings up victories from the early 1900s as a defense to their current condition.  Congrats on your wins against Chicago High School.  It must pain you to know that we outnumber you in National Championships 6-2 since WW2 (I mean, if you want to talk RELEVANT history, that is).

Mac Plumart

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
FYI,

the latest edition of Golf Course Architecture magazine reached my house last week.  I was excited to see the article on the new course as Dismal.  But horrified to see a picture of Kavanaugh accompanying the article!!!   :o
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
FYI,

the latest edition of Golf Course Architecture magazine reached my house last week.  I was excited to see the article on the new course as Dismal.  But horrified to see a picture of Kavanaugh accompanying the article!!!   :o

I only wish he had been identified as a rater.

Eric Smith

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »
FYI,

the latest edition of Golf Course Architecture magazine reached my house last week.  I was excited to see the article on the new course as Dismal.  But horrified to see a picture of Kavanaugh accompanying the article!!!   :o

Which pic / hole, Mac? I sent Kav into a brief GCA.com retirement with those pics, so if he's now in a periodical at the local dentist office I may never hear from him again. Sorry buddy!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
Eric - you have been given photography credit and you are now published!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
Eric...

It is the first picture in post 137.  And yes, Mike is right, right next to the photo it says, "Photo: Eric Smith".   8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael George

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

In the attached pictures of #15, is that green as big as #5 at Old MacDonald.  What is the yardage?  Is it designed to be a Short?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Franklin

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »

For those worried about Nebraska, don't fret.  The Buckeyes are coming to town this Saturday evening.  Big Red will destroy them. 

The last time the Buckeyes were 11 point underdogs was the National Championship Game in which they beat Miami.  It was interference JF, sorry.

Geez, I just saw this. Late flag, no penalty, let the players dictate who wins not the referee. At least we won this year.
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »

Jim:

Myself, like the referee, call them like we see them.

PThomas

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

Geez, I just saw this. Late flag, no penalty, let the players dictate who wins not the referee. At least we won this year.

that penalty has to be one of the worst all -time sports calls in any sport, ever!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

In the attached pictures of #15, is that green as big as #5 at Old MacDonald.  What is the yardage?  Is it designed to be a Short?

Michael:

The 15th hole is a short par-4.  I was surprised to find that it's the biggest green we've built so far -- it started out to be the smallest, but I added a big section to the right after missing the green repeatedly when play-testing the routing.  It will still be hard to hit, I think.

The par-3 is the 16th hole.  It is a fairly large green with multiple levels, because we were trying to tie in hole locations at the front and back that were more than two feet apart in elevation.  But, it's not intended to be based on any Macdonald hole -- nothing at Dismal is.  And it's only half the size of the 5th green at Old Macdonald.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
Tom - I only saw the routing on our "gator ride" tour in July, and I was extremely impressed.  Great job by you and your team!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »
Tom-

How different are the hills/mounds/dunes at Dismal than Sand Hills?  I have played both and can certainly look at the pictures and see differences, but I can't "really" tell.  The hills look a little more gentle at DR than SH to me. I realize they are only a few miles apart the way the crow flies so they can't be too different probably, just wondering if you can notice any major differences...

Thanks
Chip

Tom_Doak

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Tom-

How different are the hills/mounds/dunes at Dismal than Sand Hills?  I have played both and can certainly look at the pictures and see differences, but I can't "really" tell.  The hills look a little more gentle at DR than SH to me. I realize they are only a few miles apart the way the crow flies so they can't be too different probably, just wondering if you can notice any major differences...

Thanks
Chip

Chip:

They are as different as any two links courses -- say, Sandwich and Deal.

My general impression is that the terrain at Dismal River is bigger and broader than at Sand Hills.  There is more vertical change, but less frequency of undulation.  That could just be because Coore & Crenshaw routed their course on the gentlest portions of the terrain they had to work with, and Jack Nicklaus went for bigger and bolder things.

Our own site is different than either of the above, because we are leading down to the river.  There is twice as much elevation change overall as Sand Hills*, but it doesn't feel like it when walking the course because I cheated and finished lower than I started.  Still, I would say the contours on our ground are a bit gentler than on the other course at Dismal, with a few exceptions.  Chris' observation that he expected our holes to be laid out in the valleys, and it's really not, is spot on.

* actual elevation changes: 

Dismal River II:  high point 3444 (6th tee), low point 3260 (16th green) = 184 feet of elevation change

Sand Hills:  high point 3335 (3rd tee), low point 3255 (8th fairway) = 80 feet of elevation change

I might be the only person in the world to have the topo maps for both courses.  Dick Youngscap gave me the GPS plan of Sand Hills after Bill and Ben had flagged it all out.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
A bit OT:  If you ever want to see something really cool, check out the C&C routing stick diagram hanging in the Sand Hills dining room.  It's amazing how many holes were sketched out to reach the "final 18".

Eric Smith

« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
From the DRII Routing thread:

Course routing

And the overlay that Jim Colton posted

I'll have a few new pics to post momentarily.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Please understand that on the Colton inspired picture the unseemly buildings and such are the maintenance facility and employee lodging, neither of which can be seen from the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back