News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Chris,

Do you find that Brent kid's hat to be as offensive as I do?  And here I thought Dismal River had standards.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
Chris,

Do you find that Brent kid's hat to be as offensive as I do?  And here I thought Dismal River had standards.

JC:

It's actually Brett, Brett Hochstein, and he was probably trying to lay low with the U of M hat because he's from Michigan.  But he really graduated from Cornell ... and also from the Elmwood College turf program near St. Andrews.

Don:

Great idea of posting the crew pics.  I haven't heard a peep from Ben yet on what he thought of the place, though ... he must be trying to figure out how to tell me it sucks!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
Please don't stop posting construction pics.  They are interesting and should prove to be invaluable to people like me interested in seeing this thing come to life.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Sims

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
Just saw these recent posts as I go back from Mullen on a beer run.  We had run out of suds and needed a few to toast the completion of all our seeding--both greens and fairway surrounds/tees for 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 16. 

I have had the time of my life and a decidedly positive experience for what I really hope will be my next career choice after my flying days are over.   This was my "Top Gun" moment.  Watching that movie in 1986 as a starry eyed four-year old, I became obsessed with being a pilot.  Now, as a "crusty" old guy--at least on this young crew--I have a new idea of what I'd like to be.

I came out here with an idea of smoke and mirrors to the Renaissance recipe.  I wanted to see what the fuss was all about by what must be considered one of the best design firms.  I didn't find it.  What I did learn and discover was that it takes patience and care to build a golf course.  It takes a commitment to getting it right, attention to detail in the extreme, and a motivation to make it better everyday.  It takes an effort to look for the absolute best golf holes you can find with the naked eye, then put in long hours and hard work to make them even better. 

Brett, Jeff and Zach have been very fun to work with.  They have asked my opinion on more than one thing that they probably shouldn't have, and in doing so, made me feel like a part of their team.  I hope the little ideas we batted around will get in the ground, that would be a thrill.  Don and "our crew" have been just like we always have been down at Wolf Point.  I'm glad that his ideas and work ethic will get to be seen by a larger crowd now.  Watching him and Brian figure things out has been a lesson in "joint warfare."   Brian is a consummate professional with a fun streak  that keeps the balance of the whole crew on the even.  Watching him dig a new bunker on 13 and tie in a lonely pimple on 11 is worth the price of admission.

In the end, people will say what they're going to say about the golf course.  Being here for a week, I have gotten a small taste of how hard it is to discover and create great golf.  Looking at what's here now, I'm very excited to see it when I return for more work next spring.  Anyone that says that Tom doesn't have great finishing stretches, or build hard enough par 3's, are in for a rude awakening.  I have no idea how well received the course will be, but the work has been top notch, and everyone involved cares a great deal about it being the best it can be.

I would write more, but I'm off to be one of the first ten or so folks to play the front 9 of the new Doak course at Dismal River. 

JC Jones

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
Ben,

Kudos to you.  I don't think anyone on this site has worked harder to take their passion and interest in golf course architecture to the next level like you have.  Well earned.

Tom,

Being from Michigan is no excuse.   :) 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:35 PM »
Ben arrived Tues evening and was soon raking out tire tracks while wearing his flip flops. He apparently thought he was just coming down to say hello and wasn't anticipating being put to work right away.

The next night a H-O-R-S-E game broke out and we almost lost one of America's finest. As you would expect, the oldest guy in the game, me, excelled while fresh as I easily won the first game. I matched everything thrown at me, especially Robert "west tex" Young's 3 point bombs. I wore him down with granny shots from the free throw line and put the icing on the cake with a granny, nothing but net, from 3 point land.
I quickly faded as the games wore on but the next oldest guy, Mr. Slawnick picked up the pace winning game #2. It was then that Ben, decided to try the bounce off the free throw line, up off the  backboard, catch in mid air lay up. He was doing great three quarters thru, but either the Keystone, or his enthusiasm, kicked in and his adrenaline out paced his athletic skill as he lost his balance and narrowly missed cracking his skull on the pole supporting the basket. I immediately wondered how Ben's commander would explain the accident to Ben's kin. Luckily he just missed his noggin but his shoulder did rattle the hoop. He did eventually hit that shot, but it was done at such a slow pace it was easily matched.

Slawnick held serve thru the 3rd game where it looked as if he was in control leading Brett (sorry about your name in my post above) H to H-O-R-S. I felt as if Brian was in complete control and made a 5 - 1 wager with west tex that Brian would win. Brett overheard and went into his Vinny "the microwave" Johnson mood and simply toyed with Brian hitting shot after shot until he put him away. For the next week I repeatedly heard Brian say to Brett, 5 -1 you can't get that done by lunch.....  

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
Wow, that is an awesome story Don, hearing stories like that of you guys having fun is just priceless.  I can imagine being on site working into the wee hours is probably just a blast. 

Kudos to Ben, I hosted him at Stone Eagle and had a great time, I knew he would be getting his hands dirty sooner than later in the dirt.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
Ben arrived Tues evening and was soon raking out tire tracks while wearing his flip flops. He apparently thought he was just coming down to say hello and wasn't anticipating being put to work right away.

The next night a H-O-R-S-E game broke out and we almost lost one of America's finest. As you would expect, the oldest guy in the game, me, excelled while fresh as I easily won the first game. I matched everything thrown at me, especially Robert "west tex" Young's 3 point bombs. I wore him down with granny shots from the free throw line and put the icing on the cake with a granny, nothing but net, from 3 point land.
I quickly faded as the games wore on but the next oldest guy, Mr. Slawnick picked up the pace winning game #2. It was then that Ben, decided to try the bounce off the free throw line, up off the  backboard, catch in mid air lay up. He was doing great three quarters thru, but either the Keystone, or his enthusiasm, kicked in and his adrenaline out paced his athletic skill as he lost his balance and narrowly missed cracking his skull on the pole supporting the basket. I immediately wondered how Ben's commander would explain the accident to Ben's kin. Luckily he just missed his noggin but his shoulder did rattle the hoop. He did eventually hit that shot, but it was done at such a slow pace it was easily matched.

Slawnick held serve thru the 3rd game where it looked as if he was in control leading Brett (sorry about your name in my post above) H to H-O-R-S. I felt as if Brian was in complete control and made a 5 - 1 wager with west tex that Brian would win. Brett overheard and went into his Vinny "the microwave" Johnson mood and simply toyed with Brian hitting shot after shot until he put him away. For the next week I repeatedly heard Brian say to Brett, 5 -1 you can't get that done by lunch.....  

Don:

This is the sort of fun I miss out on nowadays, because I have to get on to another site somewhere and see how it's progressing, so I can keep all of these fine people gainfully employed.

I'd probably have more fun just building one course a year ... if only I could count on the one I picked actually happening.  Someday, I'll get back to that, but hopefully it's by design and not by circumstance.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
I love this thread.

Keep the stories coming guys!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »
Brett is not only a great rake man, but he has a great eye for shaping. He spent a few months working with us at Mira Vista this summer where we relied on him for keeping an eye on the greens tie-ins to areas we preserved. Besides being good with hand tools, he has a knack for SandPro work, too. Very glad, Tom, that you had something for him to work on as I think he has a good future creating golf courses.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
Forrest:

Brett will be starting on a much larger piece of equipment a couple of months from now, halfway around the world.

Meanwhile, we kidnapped Zach and Jeff as they were headed back east after working on the par-3 Bandon Preserve course from start to finish.  I hope nobody reports them missing!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »
Damn, I love DR!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Keystone light sales have skyrocketed in Mullen.  Just watched the boys play the front.  Cap'n hit it to 6 inches in 7.  

We then hooked up with Brent Gander  (Brett's stripper name) and took a ride across the river for an aerial view of the course above Little Horseshoe.  The boys were blown away as you can see some really speacial views from up there.  Remember, Lads, shhhh.

Ben Sims is a great guy and a hero in my book.  He sure has alot to talk about when he gets home.  Well received, indeed.

Jason - that M is for Mullen.  We'll be posting a short video for Gander later on.  I'll send him home with a bit of Red.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:21:06 PM by Chris Johnston »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
When are the boys leaving?  The last weekend I may have available is the one of the 24th. I need to get out one last time this year.

Eric Smith

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the updates fellas. It's thrilling seeing and reading how the golf course is taking shape...kudos to all involved. I find myself pining to pick up and move the family to Denver. If I could, I think I really and truly would. Can't imagine anything better than being able to take lots of weekend road trips to Dismal.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
How few men have the luxury of to few a weekend to enjoy the spoils of ones efforts.  The men of Dismal are a lucky lot.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
When are the boys leaving?  The last weekend I may have available is the one of the 24th. I need to get out one last time this year.

Dirt is home now, returning next week.  Tom and Brian may be back once more to look at things before we put her to bed.  The young bucks are here for 3-4 weeks, I think.  Cap'n and Rober leave early tomorrow - if they survive tonight.

BedBoss - It is an amazing place.  As you know, the spirit is very strong.  See you soon.

One person not mentioned much is my good friend and little brother, our super, Jagger.  He has done an absolutely amazing job out here and makes everyone look good.  Also, Mark Stencel had been beyond valuable and helps make it all happen.

To a person, we have great people here - Teams Doak, Dirt, and Dismal.

Me?  Just call me "Lucky".

Rob Rigg

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
Really exciting to see the progress that the various "teams" at DR are making.

I'm beyond jealous of el capitain - looking good sir. Getting a taste of how the magic works must be just brilliant (and well deserved).

It's a lot less glamorous than it sounds, I'm sure, but you are all creating history and I'm sure there will be a swarm of "GCA types" arriving on campus in '12 to check it out - we're drooling already.

Keep livin' the dream out there Chris and crew!

Can't wait to enjoy that walk.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »
Chris - how the heck did you get up to the top of Little Horseshoe? 

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »

A different persepctive on the par 3 16th
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
I think it's great how quickly this thread evolved from rank boosterism into an organic account of the collaborative process of building a golf course. Nice being a bit of a voyeur!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Colton

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »

A different persepctive on the par 3 16th

CJ, if you're still looking for a name, how about Old Nugent?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
I thought he'd already decided on Dismal 2.0!! 

As a tribute to us GCA geeks/nerds!  ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
Dan - Polaris Ranger across the cattle bridge.  4 guys, cooler, and plenty of Yucca slaloms.

Old Nugent may just work!  ;)

Kalen  201 and 2.0?

Have to remember to send Sims a bill for all the mulch he took back
    ...on his clothes and hat.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
Has anyone been getting some of this design and build on HD video?  I know Gil Hanse had been posting progress at Castle Stuart on YouTube. 

It doesn't seem likely that we'll see much more course building out in the sand hills.  I really wish that a professional videographer would have shot enough tape to do a documentary.  Oh, I know how narrow or tight of a circle of GCA nerds are out there.  But, with all the television reality shows about 'men at work' (Ice road truckers, Crabby Fishermen, Modern Marvels construction, and Asphalt Cowboys or Illi-ana) I actually think a documentary of the work on golf course development would be viable TV viewing.  I think The Golf Channel really misses the boat on this.  Building a course so pure as what the folks are doing out there at DR is just too good to pass up as a matter of documentary, and even historical value in years to come.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back