News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Doerr

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
Chris.

Very fun...

We are thinking of having an event next year..."The Snip and Chip".  Branding (and snipping) in the morning, followed by golf that afternoon and the next morning.  If a GCA event, wonder if turnout would be good?

Some years ago, my daughter did an exchange in middle school - city kids to the country and country kids to the city. She got to learn what a "Cheerio Gun" was in Burns, OR.

I'm hoping to get out to Dismal River in late July next year. Scott Weersing and I are in the early stages of planning a big road trip.

Cheers, Jeff

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
TDiddy...that's where the cattle come in...ride them from hole to hole, bringing JWN and TXD (your middle name is Xavier, right?) together again.

I'm hoping to get out this way, if only to shake hands with the great Eric Smith...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
Say it with me...Seeding Tomorrow!

Great news!

How's the weather there today?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
Say it with me...Seeding Tomorrow!

Great news!

How's the weather there today?

BedBoss - its sunny, high around 80.  May be a bit windy for seeding.  We'll see. 

ps:  BedBoss beds are the best!  ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »

I'm hoping to get out this way, if only to shake hands with the great Eric Smith...

Thanks, Mo. Looking forward to seeing you as well when you decide to make the pilgrimage. I hope you and Kevin make it out for The 5th. I'll let you know the dates after Chris and I put our heads together.

BedBoss - its sunny, high around 80.  May be a bit windy for seeding.  We'll see.  

ps:  BedBoss beds are the best!  ;D

Chris - It might be Christmas before the wind dies down out there! Good luck!

As to the BB - Can you come to my grand opening? ;D I'd love to put you in front of the mic with the radio gals as I really do appreciate your enthusiasm my friend!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
Hey - who hydro-mulched the white truck?

Wind died down, two greens seeded.

Hope Dirt has some pics.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
CJ,

I'm sure you'll have a ton of before and after pictures, and I hope you'll share them.  It's fascinating to me to look at the finished product compared to what the architect saw before breaking ground. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

Jim Colton

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
Don, #16?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
I can't  judge by the photo but that green looks very close to the hill. Isn't that a little risky with water runoff?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
The Dismal River is between the green and the hill.

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
I didn't realize the Biden Boehner story was posted elsewhere.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:23:02 AM by Colin Sheehan »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
Darn - I was hoping #16 could use Horseshoe (that HUGE sandhill) as the world's biggest backdrop!  :)

That area down by the river is really beautiful.  By the way, is Sand Hills downstream of that spot?  How far would it be as the crow flies?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
Darn - I was hoping #16 could use Horseshoe (that HUGE sandhill) as the world's biggest backdrop!  :)

That area down by the river is really beautiful.  By the way, is Sand Hills downstream of that spot?  How far would it be as the crow flies?

Dan - #17 green is at "Little Horseshoe".  #18 green is at "Big Horseshoe".

#16 (Dirt's pic) is at the base of the centuries old buffalo crossing.

Sand Hills is 8ish miles downriver.

JC Jones

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »

Kayak?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

Kayak?

Tube. You could probably walk most of the way its so shallow.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
What was seeded around the greens? Is it throughout or are bunekrs faces different for example. Bent on the greens correct? Is it an A1&A4 mixture?Congrats for finially posting a construction photo, something we do not see enough of on this site IMHO. Looks great for so early on, things always seem to get better as the project evolves but damm thats a strong setting and fits perfectly. Congrats to all the team!

JC Jones

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »

Kayak?

Does it flow in that direction?  If so, I see the workings of 12-packs and a lazy river :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »

Kayak?

Does it flow in that direction?  If so, I see the workings of 12-packs and a lazy river :)

Best idea I've heard yet....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom_Doak

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
What was seeded around the greens? Is it throughout or are bunekrs faces different for example. Bent on the greens correct? Is it an A1&A4 mixture?Congrats for finially posting a construction photo, something we do not see enough of on this site IMHO. Looks great for so early on, things always seem to get better as the project evolves but damm thats a strong setting and fits perfectly. Congrats to all the team!

Randy:

We chose not to go with A-1 / A-4 as we thought the maintenance was a bit too intense for out there; we only want the greens at 10, not 12.  So we went with the newest Dominant blend of bentgrasses instead.

The roughs and fairways are all the same blend of fine fescues, except that we have a slightly different mix [which includes sheep fescue] for areas where we intend to let the grass get tall and wispy.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
TD,

I would love to hear a design explanation for the thought process on the green shown above.  I say that because it reminds me very much of the greens at Kemper Lakes - three dramatic lobes, bunkers pinching the inside corner of each, strong tier to back right area, obviously built, and with no real relation to the strong hills behind.  Granted, there is more detail to the bunkers and green contours, but........I always figured you were more in line with the Pete Dye oval green shapes.

It would seem to be sort of an experimental green for you, but as always, I could be wrong. I guess there are some wild shaped greens at BN, from photos I have seen.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
Jeff,
TD can certainly explain his design ideas if he wishes, but as a clarification, the photo is not taken from the direct line of play. In person it certainly does not feel as if there are three "dramatic lobes". More of a long green front to back with a left pin placement. As far as relation to the back hills, photos do not do this course (at least my photos) justice because everything is so large and expansive. Not sure what your gleaning from an amateur's photo, but I'm starting to understand why we see so few construction photos here. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

Jeff:

Damn!  I was hoping to rip off Kemper Lakes, thinking that no one would notice.  :)

Actually, when we started the project a couple of weeks ago, I was thinking we'd leave this green until the spring because I wasn't 100% sure what to do with it.  But I spent 3-4 days thinking about it while working on the other greens, and decided we could go to work.

It was a tough green site to work with.  Where the bunkers on the right are, there was a deep swale headed down to the river, so my first inclination was to put all of the green back behind it ... but I wanted to save room to use the area behind the green as a back tee for #17, where the length is needed on the carry for the tee shot for good players.  So, the puzzle was to figure out how to get the green forward of the swale, with quite a bit of elevation change to take up, and quite a bit of left-to-right tilt in the front half of the green.

As Don says, the angle of play is from further to the right.  You can just see the front of the forward tee in the right of this picture; the two back tees are even further to the right, so that the back right hole location is fronted by the right-hand bunkers.  That made it a long, narrow green with barely any width in the middle section for a hole location ... so we extended to the left, behind the fronting bunker, for a third hole location option.  The back-left bunker which helps create the shape of the green was the last piece added ... I just thought we'd given too much bail-out room to the left for a 160-yard par-3 ... but now you are really in trouble if you bail left, since everything on the green is going away from you, and you'll probably be either in a bunker or having to go over one.  I think it's going to be a very tough little hole, especially on days with the wind from the left.

Don ... feel free to post another couple of photos if you have good ones.  I got a great photo from the top of #13 fairway on my phone, but I don't think it will blow up well.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Tom,
Unfortunately, I do not have many good pictures as I never seemed to have my camera when the light was right. The photo of 16 was taken just as the sun eased behind the hill last Friday evening. I wanted some shots but started too late in the day as we were trying to get 16 seeding finished up.

I did get a chance to take a few shots of the people involved. To the causal observer, it may seem normal that you announced the work in July and we're done seeding 6 green complexes in early September. To those involved, we know what a whirlwind its been and its a credit to all involved that it has gone so smooth and moved at such a rapid pace. Its always cool when a team comes together and works toward a common goal.

These three guys, Brent, Zack, and Jeff, hand raked every square inch of the 10 acres we seeded. In fact they hand raked it multiply times! The finishing was especially challenging in some spots because we were basically just seeding into native ground. Yet that ground had to be smooth enough to be closely mowed. In most cases the only way to get that finish was with a landscape rake and a strong back, for hours at a time. These young guys got it done.

Robert, Ben (this is how a USAF Capt. spends a week of leave), and Lupe averaged 14 hydro seed loads a day and worked into the night the first three nights as we made sure to tack down anything that might wash onto a green. There where pop up storms in the area and the crew was going to do all they could to protect the finish work.

From the beginning we knew we'd be racing a rapidly closing seeding window. The irrigation install guys were tasked with getting main line run to the green sites and then wrapping them as quickly as possible once the shaping was done. They did well, as they should, as this crew has been together for close to ten years now. Their foreman, Lupe, in the center, has been installing irrigation for close to 20 years. The latest addition to his crew is his son, Ferrmin, is too Lupe's right.  To Lupe's left is his nephew, Carlos, who has made every fuse. We've had two suppliers come out to inspect the fusing and both left with "that guy is good" comments.

I wish I had a photo of Brian Slawnick in action. Brian obviously does outstanding work, but is also an excellent leader who keeps things moving without any drama. Brian keeps the vibe on the job just right and that's not always an easy thing to do.

Nor do I have any photos at this time of staff from Dismal River Club, but safe to say no way we get this much done this quickly without excellent support from Chris and his people. I will get some crew photos of the K State mafia when I'm there next week.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Echoing Dons comments, this is an outstanding crew - the guys are first rate with their work and as people. Tom and Don have surrounded themselves with quality, and it shows in both work and attitude.

Don - its pretty cool you posted these pics. 

Thanks for the GREAT JOB guys!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back