News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 12:07:31 AM »
Just had a few with Tom, Brian, Eric and John K. 

Great work today, Gents!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

I know Tom likes to route fairways in valleys and use punch bowl greens, but that's ridiculous! riDQlous?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
That is some impressive-looking ground! I regret I can't make it out for the inaugural work and shirk weekend this September, but hope to make it out to the next effort, if one is offered, perhaps in the Spring? It says a lot for Chris, the ownership and team, plus the membership, that they have refined Jack's track to provide a better course AND then also committed to another course with Tom and his talented gang creating a second, though different, helping of prairie golf.

There is an opportunity to have something quite special there from all that has been said and I'm heartened to see that American golf has at least a few of these projects being undertaken.

Cheers.
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Chris Johnston

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »

I know Tom likes to route fairways in valleys and use punch bowl greens, but that's ridiculous! riDQlous?

Garland - #9 is a dog right par 4 but the courageous may have a go, dependent upon wind at the time.  Miss right and you meet the ravine.  A classic "how much do you want" hole with an eternity green.  It will be fun.

The drive is towards "Big Horseshoe", the backdrop left of the flag, and the approach is to "Little Horseshoe" shadowed to the right of the flag.  Both are prominent backdrops for several holes and are >300ft in height.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

Garland - #9 is a dog right par 4 but the courageous may have a go, dependent upon wind at the time.  Miss right and you meet the ravine.  A classic "how much do you want" hole with an eternity green.  It will be fun.

The drive is towards "Big Horseshoe", the backdrop left of the flag, and the approach is to "Little Horseshoe" shadowed to the right of the flag.  Both are prominent backdrops for several holes and are >300ft in height.

Thanks for the response Chris, but it was a joke presuming Tom had routed the fairway down the ravine to the big punch bowl in the distance.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
I am breaking my self-imposed hiatus to post these pictures from my visit last month. I feel guilty about not posting these when Chris and his crew were such generous hosts.

Chris or others, please let me know if I mis-labeled a hole. My memory was kind a fuzzy...

Hole #1

Hole #2

Hole #3
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:01:06 PM by Richard Choi »

Richard Choi

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
Hole #4

Hole #5

Hole #6

Richard Choi

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
Hole #7

Hole #8

Hole#9

Richard Choi

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
Hole #10

Hole #11

Hole #12

Richard Choi

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
Hole #13

Hole #14

Hole #15

Richard Choi

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »
Hole #16

Hole #17

Hole #18

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
Okay, that's enough photos for now.  Apart from Aidan's picture of #9, I don't think you can take anything right now that really does justice to what's out here.  It is amazing to me how [even with the fairways mowed out a bit] it is so much easier to focus the eye on site than it is in a photograph ... looking at the photos, you struggle to get the scale of everything sorted out, and you really can't tell what you are looking at.

It is miles better in person.

I won't be around for Chris' weekend in September ... I'll be somewhere overseas ... but by then we should have six greens shaped and irrigated and [hopefully] seeded.  Five of the greens are already good to go:  nos. 10, 11, 13, 15 and 16.  We'll get #14 in the next 2-3 days and I think that's all for this fall.  We want to make sure that anything we build is going to germinate and get good cover this fall.  We may come back in October and do a bit of bunkering and a bit of earthmoving, or we may just wait until spring to fire it up again.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
If any of you are in the area, feel free to stop by!

Thanks but I'll be fishing off the New Jersey coast this weekend.

The water must be a little choppy huh? ;)

Tim: thanks for getting it!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Update -

6 greens are now shaped and two greens are irrigated.  Hydro seeding set to begin next week.

A good bit of the main line is in and charged.

On the downside, we are running short of Guinness...calling Adam Clayman!

Joel - catch anything?  House?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Chris - how are the "cattle-built / salt lick induced" bunkers coming along?  I thought this was a VERY cool idea when I saw it in progress back in July.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
Dan:

The cattle have scuffed a few areas bare ... but then they moved the cattle off the back nine so we could work.  We'll see if the wind does anything interesting with them this winter.  We did build a few others without bovine help.

Ron Farris

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »
Just looking at the pictures get the juices flowing.  I enjoyed the photos and it makes me long for home.  More magic comes to the mystical sand hills.  I look forward to a vist one day.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 06:30:31 AM »
Chris. Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Me 'n Pablo have been busy working on alignment. Sims is bringing the booty.     Tom Doak, it will be interesting to see the wind's effect. With the hill to the NW I wonder if you'll get much erosion on the lower holes. Did you orient the bunkers a specific direction specifically for the wind?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael George

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »

Are the cattle staying ala Irish Straits and the sheep?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 08:22:58 AM »
Michael. I can't speak for Chris, but, that would be a bad idea. Have you ever seen a cow pie? They're huge. Plus, the damage their hoofs can do to a green is not pretty. Once at West Winds, one cow got away from a staging area nearby. The marks left behind were interesting. My guess was that the cow got spooked when the wind grabbed the flag and made a loud noise. The best we could figure, the cow was startled and leaped sideways a few feet. I sure wish I'd seen that.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Johnston

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Michael - The cows will be (visible) on the property but not on either course, per se.  I'd love to let them run loose but Adam is correct, the "fallout" would be a bit messy.  The want to scratch their backs and flies love them.

For those who wish a cattle fix, try the back road into Dismal River.  Its a 1-lane County Road, 7 miles of which is sand, with cattle free ranging.  Just be sure you are in a truck or SUV.

We are thinking of having an event next year..."The Snip and Chip".  Branding (and snipping) in the morning, followed by golf that afternoon and the next morning.  If a GCA event, wonder if turnout would be good?

Adam - Pablo is getting alot of face time these days - he may want to engage an agent!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »
Will Dismal now be considered the Sebonack of the midwest? Mix and match holes from each course and voila, Sebonack of the Sandhills...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »
Will Dismal now be considered the Sebonack of the midwest? Mix and match holes from each course and voila, Sebonack of the Sandhills...

That would be hard to do, since the courses are more than a half mile apart at their nearest point.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that you get a quick peek of the Nicklaus course while playing the Doak.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
Say it with me...Seeding Tomorrow!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back