News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
Ben - great add.  Agreed - even a natural green is very complicated in its own way.  You guys did a great job!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Some updated photos from this morning at DR.

If you crush a good drive on 14 you might find yourself wth ths look

If you hit it in the gunch, and have to pitch out, you might be here

15 green

A little closer

And where you mght be if you get frisky wth your approach
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:44:50 AM by Don_Mahaffey »

Jud_T

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
Don,

Thanks for posting.  The 15th green looks awesome in those pix.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Sims

« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
Those pictures look great.  So cool to see some grass on those holes.  #15 is going to hurt some people. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »
One of the VERY cool things I noticed out there was how Doak used distant "points of interest" on many holes.

As you know, the Sand Hills are essentially devoid of trees.  Makes "finding" your way somewhat challenging.  From what I saw, TD used distant blowouts and other features as a "directional".  For example, on one hole, from the tee, the green is in the direction of an ancient blowout about a mile away high up on a hill.  On another, you have Little Horseshoe, and so on.

It's a really beautiful feature that I think you'll love.

PS - About 2 years ago, I started a thread about "The Journey"*.  Trust me, TD's routing at DR fills the description of a course where the golfer enjoys a Journey exceptionally well.  

* - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39956.0.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:28:10 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Dirt - Great Pics.  The grass really jumped while I was gone.  Fescue really came in!

Wonder if I can play 16 with Kavanaugh and BedBoss later this week? 

Eric Smith

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
Wow, Don. These pics look fantastic.

Are the current nightly temps (low to mid 40's forecast through this week) good, bad, indifferent... for growing in the grass(es)?

Eric Smith

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »

More to follow...

Ben Sims

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
Seeing mowing lines on #10 feels a lot like watching one of my students getting their first landing or barrel roll.  Huge excitement seeing grass on what was bare sand a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:52:19 PM by Ben Sims »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
Seeing mowing lines on #10 feels a lot like watching one of my students getting their first landing or barrel roll.  Huge excitement seeing grass on what was bare sand a few weeks ago.
That par 3 in the background looks ok, no?

Ben Sims

« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Seeing mowing lines on #10 feels a lot like watching one of my students getting their first landing or barrel roll.  Huge excitement seeing grass on what was bare sand a few weeks ago.
That par 3 in the background looks ok, no?

The bunker spraying we did on #11 looks really cool from back here on 10.  I can see a tiny bare spot behind that big black pipe though.  Whoever missed gunning that was slacking.  :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:00:09 PM by Ben Sims »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
Dirt - Great Pics.  The grass really jumped while I was gone.  Fescue really came in!

Wonder if I can play 16 with Kavanaugh and BedBoss later this week? 

It's kind of frustrating to think you have a hole in one only to find there isn't a hole.  Tom took his training wheels off for this one.

Eric Smith

« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
John nearly aced both on the back!

More looks at 11.

Eric Smith

« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

John nearly aces the 11th!

John, Chris and I toasted the end of the 2011 season at Dismal with a Sunday morning game of dirt golf on the new course. Shocker -- I'm in love with the golf course. As a whole, it will offer a heck of a thrill ride with one turn after another of the kind of golf I think most folks around here thirst for. Paraphrasing John Kirk, where: 'watching the ball interact with the ground' provides much of the thrill gca fans and the like admire.

During my initial tour back in July, I fell hard for the lower 10, just as I think most everyone did, and that's understandable, because it is unlike anything any of us had seen before. But what may have gotten lost on that visit, at least as far as I'm concerned, was how good the upper 8 holes are. Sure, from the first time I laid eyes on the 3rd, I felt it was going to be a special hole, and I was awestruck by the big, brawny 5th as well, but both of those are par threes where I didn't have to visualize so much where the fairway was before me. The tees and green sites were already there on both of those holes, much like they are on the rest of the golf course. I suppose I missed some of the more subtle characteristics when everything in view was cut to one length back then. The upper holes are much more edifying in their current state, which is low mowed and (nearly?) dormant baked out prairie grasses on top of pure sand along with some roughed in bunkering that helps in putting the holes together, though I doubt they'll do much to help one's scorecard when complete! I am now of the opinion that the upper 8 rivals the lower 10 in terms of quality golf and it would be difficult for me to choose one over the other as a favorite.

Some highlights from our round...

The first begins with a fairly friendly handshake - a shorter par 5 with plenty of width to ease you into the round. John and I both made 4. Knock it to within 10 feet of the pin and its a one putt in dirt golf. Wish we had a standard bearer..."Hey, we're 1 under on the Doak!", with Johnston at level par...20 feet. :-)

Crew working alongside 1 green.

2 is a longish devil of a four played out into a sea of dunes. John hit a beautiful, blind hybrid second shot from down below the ridge that landed 50 yards short and bounced and rolled for what seemed like forever until reaching the front of the green. Two putt par for JakaB. The second was one hole I know I overlooked on my initial tour in July. The whimsical nature of playing a blind shot over a sand hill promises to thrill.

I think the members tee allows a tee shot to carry to the upper portion of the fairway in most winds. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys.

5 was into the teeth of the wind and we played the back tees here. None of us reached the green with driver. It is a half par from here on days like yesterday for most players.

5 from the back tee. +/- 245 yds.

John and I talked a lot about the new course on the drive back to Denver and we're both on the same page regarding the upper 8 holes: the golf up there is special, along some fantastic ground, with views that'll put a tear in your eye. (Probably the wind.) When the wind's really cranking up there like it was yesterday, you'll be glad to see that the holes are designed to allow for it, with an abundance of width provided.

Another thing I liked about this golf course is the more intimate routing. There are a few spots where multiple greens and tees are within your immediate periphery as well as what will be a really cool, enormous shared fairway on the 14th and 15th holes and I like all of that, mainly because it is a departure from the way the Nicklaus course is routed (mostly). Heck, the whole thing is different from the Nicklaus course (which I also love) and that, to me, is what makes Dismal that much more special.

Some shots from our round yesterday:

Looking down in the bunker on 3

View from the bottom of bunker at 3. Chris is on the green.

3 green

13 green

17 fairway

17 looking back

18 tee

18 approach
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:48:56 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »

I like the green shirt.

Anthony

Chris Johnston

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
Eric - Great Pics!

Eric and John - Great times!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2011, 08:15:39 PM »
Are you closed for the year now?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Are you closed for the year now?

Morgan - Last Sunday was closing day.  We will slowly out the course to sleep over the next month.  Irigation blowout won't be for a month.  We play the course(s) alot in the offseason.  You coming out this way?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

I got a hair cut and I look much thinner now in person.  What I found most interesting and what some will find unbelievable is how the tee sites exist as naturally as the greens.  This is one tee on 18 out on a peninsula with several others just sitting there waiting to be used.  There will be some tree removal but little dirt moved leaving an amazing finishing hole.

Just this year someone told me that I must have been an amazing athlete to be able to hit the ball considering all the crap going on with my body.  Now I wonder where the compliment in that statement lies.  I can't believe I bought pants that large without going to the big and tall store.  Driver, 9 iron in case anyone is asking.

note: Eric posted a few new pictures on page 4.  Not fair sneaking them in the back door.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »

John....How's the uric acid?

Anthony

Chris Johnston

« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
John - just play with me.  You'll always be the thin guy!

Never seen you hit the driver better.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
Wow - yellow golf balls.  Hadn't seen one of those in a while.

Is it the picture or is that ball being played quite a bit up in JakaB's stance?  High power fade?

In all seriousness, thanks for posting these construction photos.  I've always been fascinated as to the whole process, and am enjoying seeing this project as it develops.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the negative swing thought right before my Tuesday game. Yes, it was a power fade. What else would a player hit off the contour of that fairway? 

Scott Szabo

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
John,

Glad to be of service!

Of course it screams for a high fade - it's just that not many of us can dial up a shot at will. 

Me, I would have played my patented low-draw that may or may not have ended up in the fairway.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jason Hines

« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
Wow, wow and wow.

Thanks for posting Eric.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back