News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Cronheim

Hurricane Irene
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »
As Irene bears down on the Eastern seaboard, it's got a very high percentage of America's finest golf courses in its sights. Worse still, the vast majority of these courses are old and heavily treelined. Personally, I'm hoping that a few of my least favorite trees on my home courses meet their maker on Sunday. Irene very well may be the tree removal program so many of us have hoped for at many of our clubs...
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Kalen Braley

Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
As Irene bears down on the Eastern seaboard, it's got a very high percentage of America's finest golf courses in its sights. Worse still, the vast majority of these courses are old and heavily treelined. Personally, I'm hoping that a few of my least favorite trees on my home courses meet their maker on Sunday. Irene very well may be the tree removal program so many of us have hoped for at many of our clubs...

Which ones would those be?  The ones at Mrytle Beach?  ;D

In all seriousness though, you east coast boys be safe out there.  Keep the heroics to a minimum.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:48:21 AM »
I would kill to play NGLA tomorrow afternoon! 

In 75-100 MPH winds?  Whats that, 8-9 clubs worth? 60 yard driver shots and 225 yard wedge shots galore... 

P.S.  You'd have to use square golf balls to have any chance of staying still on the greens!!  ;D

David Cronheim

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
I would kill to play NGLA tomorrow afternoon! 

In 75-100 MPH winds?  Whats that, 8-9 clubs worth? 60 yard driver shots and 225 yard wedge shots galore... 

P.S.  You'd have to use square golf balls to have any chance of staying still on the greens!!  ;D

I think with wind that strong a wedge would blow straight down to the ground...I always find that to be the difficult part of playing straight downwind holes. Sometimes the ball just blows down and goes nowhere. It's not an issue with drives, but touch shots and wedges if you don't hoist them, definitely an issue.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
Just keep the tree aimed at my house up. You can take the ones down on my course though. I usually don't worry about these events, but this one is scary.
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
Other people can give much more informed hurricane advice than I, but I can offer the following, based on one bad experience.

If you have a real potential problem, do everything you can to mitigate it in advance, or at least prepare for worst case scenarios. For years, we watched the hillside behind my shop trickle down, never thinking it would amount to much. When Ivan ripped through here back in 2004, the hillside behind by shop came cascading down and left us with 2-3 feet of mud to shovel and clean out - and we were lucky it was only that, and while we weren't there, either (I attribute this luck to clean living...). We recently had a few tragedies here in the Burgh with flash floods and falling trees taking lives, so be prepared.

That hurricane - and having a lot of family in Johnstown, PA, flood capital of the USA - have left me with a healthy respect for the power of water.

Good luck with the tree, Jim.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
The weather service our club subscribes to said, as part of his report:
 In a band from coastal southern New England westward to all of metro New York and then southwestward along the
I-95 corridor to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and then southward across the Cheasapeake Bay region, gusts will reach 100 mph, with sustained winds not far below the hurricane threshold of 74 mph.  As far west as Richmond, D.C., and the deep western suburbs of Philly and New York, wind gusts will be in the 50-75 mph range.  Coupled with rainfall amounts of 6 to 12 inches west of the track of the eye (for roughly 100 miles), the potential for loss of trees is extreme.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
I live in Suffolk, VA, 15 miles west of Norfolk.  We have got by in a very lucky way thus far (the electricity is still on, but lost parts of trees) ... but others not so good.

Scott Weersing that contributes to this site lives in Virginia Beach about 20 miles west of where the eye passed.  I imagine his electricity has off most of the day and may be subjected to some tidal flooding as there are creeks close to his home.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
Thankfully Scott took the family and headed inland to NC. I trust he and so many others come home to just a lot of wet and very little damage. Thinking about you Carl...
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
David,

I'm with you!

So much easier than submitting your tree removal plan through the town council.

So long as my house is spared I advocate your plan plus, plus!

Malcolm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back