News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - All Nine Holes Posted.
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
This is my first photo tour, so bear with me.  If anyone has pictures they'd like me to add, please let me know, or feel free to add them to the thread.  Unfortunately, since I wasn't exactly planning to put together a photo tour, I didn't get a lot of good shots of the green contours, but this should give a general sense of the course.  If someone wants to supplement with better shots of the green, please be my guest.  The upshot of not lingering around the greens, however, was a round played at a refreshingly brisk pace.  

A number of GCAers, including myself, were graciously invited by Terry Lavin to play the Dunes Club on Wednesday, August 17th.  Located 90 minutes from Chicago, the Dunes Club is Americas finest nine hole course. The course was conceived by Mike Keiser, and designed by Dick Nugent.  The course plays 3,492 yards from the back tees, rated at 75.6/149.  It plays 3,269 yards from the middle tees, rated at 74.0/145.  From the front tees, the course plays 3,125 yards, rated at 72.8/143.  However, if played as intended, it's difficult to get an accurate measurement and rating.  While there are numerous tee boxes, there are no actual tee markers, save for some CDGA plates.  The scorecard encourages players to utilize a variety of options, advising: "When there are no tee markers, it is customary that the winner of the prior hole chooses the tee position within a designated tee area."  There is a welcome lack of overwrought infrastructure and pretension.  The inside of the clubhouse is quite small, the bar is refrigerator operated on the honor system, and the pro-shop isn't much larger than a closet.  The Dunes Club is truly about the golf.

The clubhouse

Hole #1
Back - 415; Middle - 398; Front - 398.
The first hole is a fairly straightaway par four with a slight twist to the left.  The tee shot plays over a scrub area which normally shouldn't be in play.  There are trees and OB right, trees left, and the fairway tightens a bit as you approach the green.  The green slopes front right to back left, with bunkers right and a collection area left and behind.  Left of the green and through the tees is the only view of Lake Michigan from the golf course.  The pins were re-cut for the second round.  Our first round pin was back middle, and the second round pin was very difficult, cut on the front left.

From the first tee

A view from the first fairway

A little bit closer view of the green

A view looking back to the first tee from the fairway
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:13:53 PM by Bill Seitz »

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - First Hole Posted
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for putting in the time to share this course with us. I wish every town had a club of this kind. From what I've read, it reflects golf's past and offers it the best chances for the future.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill Seitz

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - First Hole Posted
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »
Hole #2
Right Tees: Back - 200; Middle - 167; Front 160.
Left Tees: Back - 150; Middle - 140; Front 131.

The second hole is a par three that can be played from one of two sets of tees.  While most holes at the Dunes Club feature tee boxes with a lot of different looks, the second is one of two holes that two completely isolated sets of tees (the other being the seventh).  This illustrates one of the great things about the Dunes Club.  You can play 18 holes on this course without exactly feeling like you've played the same nine holes twice. 

If you imagine the two tee areas being two corners of a triangle, the green runs long and somewhat narrow back to front towards the bottom center of triangle (i.e., the area between the two sets of tees).  From the right tees, the green runs diagonally front left to back right, and from the left tees, it runs front right to back left.  The tee shot is played entirely over scrub to the green (as the author is all too well aware).  I remember the green contours being fairly subtle here.  You can make a putt on this green. 

The view from the left tee area

Approaching the green from the left tee area

Closer view of the green.  As you can see, while the right tee area had my number the first time around, I got a little revenge from the left tees.

Looking back from the green at both tee areas

Looking back at the left tee area

Looking back at the right tee area

Wayne Freeman

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - First Two Holes Posted
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:18 AM »
 Bill-  great photos.  thanks.  I'm looking forward to my first visit there the second week in Sept.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
Bill, a great study.  I tore up #2 on my trip there.  9-iron (138) to 20 feet in the morning, 6 iron (168) to 3 feet for the bird in the afternoon.  Satisfying to say the least.  My host on this great day was incomparable.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the photos. After a few swings in the "batting cage" I was always glad to see the 1st tee, which sets up perfectly for my natural slinging duck hook ;) . The green on the 1st is really good and the front left pin can leave some interesting shots around the green (however, I've seen quite a few chip ins from shortish left to that front left pin.

I remember walking off that 1st tee the first time I played the course after the caddies told us to "pick the next tee"...world altering moment right there. :)

The 2nd hole is a fun par-3, but I don't remember birdieing it as much as you guys do!
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
Bill,

Good stuff,

I really like the alternate tee concept on #2.  Most of the time you see these, its just playing from a different angle with a whole bunch of tee boxes set up ampitheatre style.  However, in this case, its almost like playing a different hole.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
Pat, the birdie on "11" was small consolation after the triple I made on 2.  I realized then that "chunk a seven iron 30 yards into the sand" isn't the optimal play from the right tee area.

Kalen, the par three sixth is more in the amphitheater style, as you'll see soon.

Bill Seitz

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - First Three Holes Posted
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »
Hole #3 - Par 5
Back - 534; Middle - 515; Front - 495.

The third hole is a par five, fairly straightaway, though the tee shot calls for a small cut left to right.  Trees guard both sides of a fairway that is about 40 yards wide at its widest point.  From the middle tees, the safest play is about 240 yards, which sets up a mid-iron lay up, which should leave an approach of about 100-120 yards.  More daring hitters can hit driver up the left side of the fairway.  Doing so successfully leaves about 190 yards to carry the huge sand area, and about 210 yards to carry to the front of the green.  Hit it too far off the tee and you'll end up in the rough which splits the landing area from the approach area.  

The approach is played from rolling fairway, so if you don't lay up to the right spot, you could be left with a difficult lie for the third.  The green is set at a slight diagonal from front right to back left, and is about 30 yards long.  There's a large rise to a back shelf which comprises a bit less than half the green.  If you can keep the first shot in play, and keep yourself to two putts, it sets up as a fairly easy par.  I hit three wood both times, followed by mid-iron lay ups, and had wedges into the green, but if I get the opportunity to play again, I'd probably take a driver and take my chances.  It's not a difficult lay up from the rough area which cuts across the fairway at 290-300 yards.  

From the tee box

This view shows the rough that crosses the fairway between the landing area and the lay up area

Here's another similar shot of this view, taken from the pictures that Geoffrey Walsh posted in the invitation thread

The approach plays over the sand area, and there's a bit of room to land the ball short if you go for it in two

This shot shows the low front half of the green and back shelf.  The pin was cut high for our first nine holes, and low for the second nine

This is a view of the third green taken from the fourth tee.  There's a large clump of grass in the sand area just below the pin in this picture.  Somehow John Mayhugh's ball found it's way into the hollow between that clump of grass and the lip.  I seem to recall he hit a pretty good shot from there.

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Like Pine Valley, I am guessing that it is wider than the pics show?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »

I had the same question.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »

I was also thinking...like Pine Valley it would also seem it could benefit greatly from some chain saw action....unless the pics just make it look narrow.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
Could someone make a guess as to what it would cost to build and maintain a 9 holer like this? Ignore land acquisition costs. If you'd prefer to keep it private, send me a message.

I need something to save up for...

Thanks for the tour, can't wait to see the rest.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill Seitz

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »

The first and third holes are two of the tighter driving holes on the course, in my recollection.  The rest are still to come, and I'll go into the tee strategy a bit when I post those.  The right hand side of the fairway slopes toward the middle, making it effectively a bit wider.  It actually looks like there's a fair amount of room when you're standing on the tee box, but the left trees creep up on you a bit.  So in short, the answer is that yes, it's probably a little wider than it appears, but not much.  That tree on the right looks tight in the picture, but it opens up a little bit behind it.  

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
Pine Valley's playing corridors are a little more forgiving than these, but these are very palyable. I did not lose a ball off the tee and I am not the straightest driver on the planet as Kalen can attest.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
Pine Valley's playing corridors are a little more forgiving than these, but these are very palyable. I did not lose a ball off the tee and I am not the straightest driver on the planet as Kalen can attest.

Why is it always me...the hacker... that everyone wants me to attest for them.  Your game compared to mine looks like a Tour Pro so as far as I'm concerned I'm not surprised to hear you don't lose a ball!!  ;)

P.S. While we're at it,  I can also attest that Jim like to hit irons off the tee so he doesn't lose very many golf balls!!   ;D

Matthew Sander

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »
Bill,

These are great photos...I sorely missed making the trip over with you guys, but we were out of town visiting family. I know the holes are probably not as narrow as they look, but I don't think those corridors would hold me. My propensity to reach for a hybrid and at the last possible second detour to the driver is ONE of my biggest weaknesses (mental midget).

To those in the know, how similar is this property to the rest of southwest Michigan (at least property that is within shouting distance of the lake)? It screams good golf, and obviously with Lost Dunes and The Dunes Club the bar has been set awfully high...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
I found the tee shot on 7 to be the only really narrow corridors on the course.  Everywhere else there was plenty of room or you had a much more controllable club in your hand then a driver.

To respond to Matt's question, the entire southern shore of Lake Michigan is full of dunes features, including the stretch comprising the Indiana Dunes State Park.  There's probably a lot of land that would be well suited for a golf course, but unfortunately for the golf world its either been adapted for housing, industrial use or preserved for public use. 

One aspect of TDC and LD that amazed me was how close you are to the Lake without being able to see it.  The first fairway at TDC may only be a couple hundred yards from the coast line.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »

Why is it always me...the hacker... that everyone wants me to attest for them.  Your game compared to mine looks like a Tour Pro so as far as I'm concerned I'm not surprised to hear you don't lose a ball!!  ;)

P.S. While we're at it,  I can also attest that Jim like to hit irons off the tee so he doesn't lose very many golf balls!!   ;D

I used you because you were the only one of the people discussing this that I played with. I didn't call you a hacker although I did give you a stroke per hole and beat you like a drum ;D.
Mr Hurricane

Bill Seitz

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
I found the tee shot on 7 to be the only really narrow corridors on the course.  Everywhere else there was plenty of room or you had a much more controllable club in your hand then a driver.

I listed 1 and 3 as the toughest driving holes because almost everyone will hit driver on 1, and a lot of people will hit driver on 3.  7 on other hand is a hole where I don't think I'd ever hit driver.  I can't remember exactly, but I think I hit hybrid off the tee both times, though I may have hit three wood the first time around from the further tees.  I can't imagine ever hitting driver there though, unless I was really confident in my ability to work the ball and could turn it around the bend, and even then it would only be from the right tees. 

Bill Seitz

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - First Four Holes Posted
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Hole #4 - Par 4
Back - 422; Middle 399; Front 399

The fourth hole is a medium length par 4, with a mild dogleg to the left.  The tee shot is played over a sand area that, like the first hole, shouldn't really come into play.  The pond that fronts the fifth green could come into play if a tee shot is blown way right.  Trees guard the left side of the fairway, while rough and long grass guard the right side of the landing area.  The preferred tee-shot is center-right of the fairly generous fairway, though a little bit of length can be taken off by a player who hits the ball left-center.  A player who hits the ball right to left should like this tee shot.  

The green is somewhat rectangular shaped set at a diagonal from from left to back right.  There's a pretty wide opening in front to accept a running shot.  There's a bunker that will gobble up approach shots hit to the right.  I seem to recall this green having some of the more unique contours.  

A view from the tee.  The target is the trees in the distance, which are a good 290-300 from the middle tees, maybe a bit longer.  There's a fair amount of room on the right hand side, more than would appear.

The approach to the green from the right-center of the fairway.

A little bit closer view of the approach.

Unfortunately, these appear to be the only three shots I took of this hole.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:20:00 PM by Bill Seitz »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »

I was also thinking...like Pine Valley it would also seem it could benefit greatly from some chain saw action....unless the pics just make it look narrow.

And this is what it looks like *after* more than 1,000 trees were removed over the last 20 years.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - Fifth Hole Posted New
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
Hole #5 - Par 4
Back - 412; Middle - 378; Front 341

The fifth hole is a medium length par four with the largest variation of yardages from front to back tees.  We played somewhere around the middle tees both times.  The tee shot is played to a pretty wide open fairway guarded by scrub on the left and trees on the right.  The landing area is a little over 50 yards wide, and from the middle tees, a lot of players will be hitting something less than driver.  We were instructed by our caddies to check the plates on our tee box, and subtract 120 yards.  Smart move, because there's a pond that fronts the green which stretches to about 115 yards from the center of the green.  Not sure if that pond existed at the time of creation or was dug out for drainage purposes.  A decent tee shot should leave a mid to short iron approach.  

The green is well contoured, surrounded by closely mowed grass.  Depending on where you miss, and where the pin is located, it could leave some interesting chip shots.  This is the only hole on the course where water comes into play, though the closest you'll likely see the pin cut to the water is about 10 yards, so if the pin is front left, take an extra club to be safe.  With the wide fairway and short length, I found this to be one of the easier holes on the course, which is a nice break between the relatively difficult (3rd handicapped) fourth hole and the visually intimidating sixth.  

View from the teeing area.  The green sits at the bottom of the hill in the distance. You can't really see the surface of the landing area from the middle tees, though the far back tee is elevated, so that may provide a better view of the fairway.  

Across the scrub, view from the back end of the fairway.

View from the left side of the fairway.  As you can see, the pin for our second round was cut back right, and there's a little ridge short of the green that the player will need to carry to reach that portion of the green.  I was able to hit a cut 7-iron in there for my second birdie of the back nine (thanks to a great read I got from John Mayhugh's putt).

View from the green looking back at the fairway.  

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:40:19 AM by Bill Seitz »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »

I used you because you were the only one of the people discussing this that I played with. I didn't call you a hacker although I did give you a stroke per hole and beat you like a drum ;D.

Hey its OK....that shoe definitely fit a few years ago...and yes you did whip my butt!!  >:(

But you give me a stroke per hole now and I'd beat you like a red-headed..... you know the rest!!  ;)

Jim Franklin

Re: The Dunes Club - Photo Tour - Fifth Hole Posted
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
Kalen -

When are you going to venture east? I can't always play away games. You should have made it to the Dunes Club.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back