News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Changes are coming in how GolfClubAtlas.com presents material. As it is, if you want to learn about Pine Valley, you have to go to In My Opinion, Courses by Country, the Discussion Group, and Art & Architecture. We hope to simplify that in the months ahead. If you want to learn more about Dick Wilson, the only place to go is the infrequent thread in the Discussion Group. Nobody has ever profiled any of his work or the man himself. Kevin Mendik has changed that in spectacular fashion with his treatise on Wilson scholarly entitled the Cultural Landscape Assessment for the Restoration of the Golf Course at Sunnylands Estate, now published under In My Opinion.

Why isn’t more love accorded to Dick Wilson? Various reasons. He was taciturn and flirted with the bottle a bit much, even by my lowly  ;D standards. Born in 1904, he toiled in the shadow of Robert Trent Jones, who was more personable and articulate. Yet, Wilson’s body of work is impressive and on more than one occasion, beat RTJ for a project. I remember playing Meadow Brook Club with Tom Egan on Long Island in 1986 with its wide fairways cutting through fields of fescue to large greens, appreciating the angles of play, the handsomeness of the setting, and wondering why this course wasn’t more heralded. That same year the Women’s U.S. Open was staged at Wilson’s South Course at NCR, but the rain hampered it from being memorable. The two most intriguingly glowing reports I have heard this entire year both come from Bidermann in Delaware (believe it or not, Richard Wilson is the professional there!). In addition, anyone lucky enough to hole out on the eighteenth at Seminole can’t help but be dazzled by Wilson’s placement of the eighteenth green some seventy yards to the left and up on the dune line from where Ross had it. Other highlights include overseeing the construction of Indian Creek and Shinnecock Hills for Flynn and Toomey, Cog Hill # 4 and Royal Montreal with his masterpiece remaining to this day Pine Tree in Florida, a true player’s golf club (Pat Mucci’s furious close there in January to square our match still smarts  :'().

More than any piece with which I am familiar, Kevin’s shines the light on Wilson and his accomplishments. When Kevin (who matriculated at Vermont Law School before taking his current position with the National Park Service) started, I think it is fair to say he had no idea that it would evolve into such a monster! His interest was initially piqued by the 200 acre Sunnylands Estate in Palm Springs, which features a nine hole course designed by Wilson and Joe Lee. As Kevin writes, “The fact that the golf course at Sunnylands is the largest physical feature on the estate indicates the relative importance placed on golf by Ambassador Annenberg. The course was intended for his private use and that of his close friends, family and visiting dignitaries, who in many cases, included sitting and former U.S. Presidents and top professional golfers.  The extent to which the Sunnylands Trust wishes to interpret the historical context and significance of presidential golf is undetermined, but should be accorded at least some degree of focus, given the history of golfing presidents. Prior to the decision to restore the golf course and renovate some elements with modern systems, it was necessary to decide the critical Period of Significance  for which the golf course was to be interpreted and restored to, and the desired future conditions under which it would then be managed, as well as the extent to which various stories and people associated with the golf course would be interpreted. The Sunnylands Transition Project (STP) adopted a position to “do no harm,” which translated essentially into restoring, as closely as possible, the course that DW envisioned and the design elements contained therein, in order to accurately convey his design philosophy and intent at Sunnylands.By its very nature as the private golf course of a U.S. Ambassador, frequented numerous times by sitting and former U.S. presidents, dignitaries and public figures, and designed by one of the two most highly regarded golf architects working in the U.S. at that time, the golf course at Sunnylands constitutes a historic golfscape, and would likely qualify for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places, if that designation were to be applied for.”

Apart from its stunning rich history, one fascinating part of this 2010/2011 restoration is that it was just that: something close to a pure restoration. According to Kevin, "The general distance from tees to hazards was retained at roughly 230 yards, the average driving distance at the time the course was designed. This element not only ensured the integrity of Wilson’s original design, but also the historic integrity of the golf course and by association, Sunnylands as a whole. Therefore, the STP may want to consider offering the use of period golf clubs (steel shafted bladed irons and persimmon headed woods) to provide an experience similar to that which Dick Wilson envisioned when the course was designed." 

The more Kevin dug, the more his curiosity was aroused until he expanded his research to be all encompassing. And that’s the bottom line on Wilson: the more you study his work, the more you find to admire. That’s simply not true for the VAST majority of architects. Kevin characterizes Wilson’s personality as follows:

“Due to his reputation as being gruff with his clients and his use of alcohol, especially in the last few years of his life after the passing of his wife, his reputation as a golf architect has been diminished and somewhat overlooked.  He has been described as “warm, direct, rugged, extremely likeable” and at times, was considered “temperamentally volatile.”  Other descriptions of him include being a “gruff, surly, unpolished artist-in-the-rough [although] his basic warmth and humor still manage[d] to show through.”   He was known to alienate both business associates and in some cases, his clients, including Ambassador Annenberg.  His actions got him removed from a number of projects which were then completed by his associates.  Former associate Robert von Hagge described him as a “ball of barbed wire and ground glass. But when the situation calls for compassion he will melt like a marsh-mallow. He’s such a bug on honesty that he does all his business with a handshake.”  von Hagge also noted that Wilson had been drinking by the time he began working for Wilson in 1955, and noted that it picked up by 1958. While building Cog Hill #4 in Illinois, he was not allowed into the clubhouse in order to keep him away from alcohol. According to Wilson, “That’s the damn most exclusive club I’ve ever seen in my life; they won’t ever let me in the clubhouse.””

The abyss of world events from 1929 through 1949 stunted what Wilson might otherwise have accomplished. He died in 1965 at the age of 61 yet he made quite a mark despite two world wars and a depression. His design philosophy stood up well through the different eras. Here is a gem of a quote that Kevin found from Wilson on how the land should dictate how the course gets laid out: “You can put a beautiful woman in an expensive dress, but if the dress doesn’t fit, neither the woman nor the dress is going to look any good at all. It’s the same with building a golf course. You got to cut the course to fit the property.”” Here is a MacKenzie-ian quote from Wilson, “A golf course should appear more vicious to a player than it actually is, it should inspire you, keep you alert. If you’re playing a sleepy-looking course, you’re naturally going to fall asleep.”

Thoroughly researched (and including 71 footnotes!), Kevin’s treatise gives Wilson his due based on his indisputable ‘in the dirt’ accomplishments. It fills a great void and makes for a fascinating read through the different eras of golf course design. Hope you enjoy it and congratulations to Kevin for such an accomplishment, both in research and in writing!

Cheers,

Peter Ferlicca

Re: Kevin Mendik's paper on Sunnylands/Dick Wilson is now posted
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »
I am really looking forward to this project and reading the article.  I live about 1/2 of mile from the Annenberg Estate, and for the past year it has been all dirt when you drive by it.  They really don't let anyone know what they are doing in there, I am actually suprised to hear that they are restoring the course, I had no idea.  I don't know if it will continue to be extremely private still or not either.  I just got a little tour of Porcupine Creek two days ago, and the new owner Ellison has hired Fazios associates to redesign the course.  It will be quite a course when it is done.  I am excited about both of these projects, Rancho Mirage is jumping up in the ranks again in Coachella Valley. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »
I am really looking forward to this project and reading the article.  I live about 1/2 of mile from the Annenberg Estate, and for the past year it has been all dirt when you drive by it.  They really don't let anyone know what they are doing in there, I am actually suprised to hear that they are restoring the course, I had no idea.  I don't know if it will continue to be extremely private still or not either.  I just got a little tour of Porcupine Creek two days ago, and the new owner Ellison has hired Fazios associates to redesign the course.  It will be quite a course when it is done.  I am excited about both of these projects, Rancho Mirage is jumping up in the ranks again in Coachella Valley. 

Amazing that Fazio has been hired to work on Porcupine Creek.   Whats interesting is Larry Ellison doesn't play golf (he's a big tennis player) and I have wondered why he purchased that property?  I'm betting Fazio sold him on being another Shadow Creek???

As for the Anneberg Estate, it is now some type of place for corporate meetings and functions.

www.sunnylands.org

Sunnylands is scheduled to open in early 2012. Construction was completed on Sunnylands Center in 2011. Surrounded by a nine-acre garden, the new Center will offer exhibitions and audiovisual materials explaining the architectural history of the site, its art collections, its important visitors, the philanthropic legacy of the Annenbergs, and the ways in which all new work embraces an ethic of environmental sensitivity. In addition, there has been restoration and renovation of the historic estate. Completed in 1966, the house, designed by A. Quincy Jones, requires upgrades to make it accessible to the public and seismically stable. The infrastructure of the grounds is being carefully evaluated to include 21st-century technology while maintaining the property's cultural landscape.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
BTW, thats a fantastic article by Kevin.   It's more of a history of Dick Wilson rather than Sunnylands but contains some interesting tidbits on Pine Tree, Doral and Bedens Brook which I have all played.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »
David Kahn spent 2 days here at Pine Tree, taking photos and studying Mr. Wilson's work prior to breaking ground at Sunnylands. Stand up guy with an intense level for detail. As stated, he was and associate of Fazio, but has branched off on his own. Fazio is NOT doing Porcupine Creek, and I'm excited to see David get another chance at doing more work...I really like his bunker style.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
Sorry guys I worded it wrong, former fazio associates are working on Porcupine Creek now, David Kahn and Tim Jackson.  Tim Jackson is a very nice guy, I hosted him at Stone Eagle right after he got done working on Pronghorn Fazio, a real nice gentlemen.

On Sunnylands, it is one of the few properties out here in the Valley that has significant elevation change.  It is on the natural desert ridge that goes along the valley floor between Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore.  I am sure that their are some pretty darn good golf holes out there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:51:05 AM by PFerlicca »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
David Kahn and Tim Jackston worked for Fazio on the west coast (and were primarily responsible for Whisper Rock, Gozzer Ranch, Shady Canyon, Mirabel, Madison Club and my #1 targeted not played Fazio course, the edgy looking Chilleno Bay in Cabo San Lucas).

Bill S:  Are you sure you've got your facts entirely right there, and that your friendship with the father of David Kahn hasn't influenced your "facts" on who was responsible for what?  Foe example, did you meet them on site on any of those projects and see what they were doing?

I ask because I've heard another young associate's name connected with two of those courses.  I have no idea who's right or wrong, but I think it's bad form when people are claiming responsibility for things their name really isn't on -- and even worse to have others doing it for them.

I am sure that somebody formerly in Tom Fazio's firm deserves much more credit for his recent work than they have been getting.  Unfortunately, since Fazio like so many other designers has never identified who it was, all we have is people's claims and guesses.  As it stands, I guess we'll have to wait and see what any of these young people actually produce on their own, before we know the truth.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
David Kahn and Tim Jackston worked for Fazio on the west coast (and were primarily responsible for Whisper Rock, Gozzer Ranch, Shady Canyon, Mirabel, Madison Club and my #1 targeted not played Fazio course, the edgy looking Chilleno Bay in Cabo San Lucas).

Bill S:  Are you sure you've got your facts entirely right there, and that your friendship with the father of David Kahn hasn't influenced your "facts" on who was responsible for what?  Foe example, did you meet them on site on any of those projects and see what they were doing?

I ask because I've heard another young associate's name connected with two of those courses.  I have no idea who's right or wrong, but I think it's bad form when people are claiming responsibility for things their name really isn't on -- and even worse to have others doing it for them.

I am sure that somebody formerly in Tom Fazio's firm deserves much more credit for his recent work than they have been getting.  Unfortunately, since Fazio like so many other designers has never identified who it was, all we have is people's claims and guesses.  As it stands, I guess we'll have to wait and see what any of these young people actually produce on their own, before we know the truth.

I can confirm Tim Jackson was involved at Chileno Bay which is still not open but apparently may this fall.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
Tom, you are correct that David Kahn and Tim Jackson were NOT involved with either Mirabel or Gozzer Ranch.  This mistake is fully due to my not paying close enough attention.

Both of those Fazio projects were run by Scott Hoffman.

I will amend my original post accordingly...that's the problem with making posts without taking notes...apologies to Scott particularly in light of Gozzer Ranch earning a well deserved spot on the Golf Magazine US Top 100.

I agree 100% that the correct attribution of architectural credit is very important particularly for work by brand name architects that don't single out their lead design associates.

Bill

Bill:

Where are you getting your information?

[Respond in private if you like.  I am just curious how attribution is done for courses after the fact like this.  For example, most people would give credit for Ballyneal to Bruce Hepner after myself -- since Bruce was indeed the lead associate -- but, as always on my projects, some of the most helpful creative input was from the guys who shaped the greens.  If the same is true in Fazio's operation, you are unable to account for that.]

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Bill:

I still have a problem with your trying to recognize these associates when you don't really know what any of them did, and half of what you say is speculation.

For example, you speculate that my "B team" built Tumble Creek ... but in fact it's the only project we ever built that every single one of my associates had a hand in.  It was a deliberate attempt, on my part and on the part of Brian Slawnik who was probably the most responsible associate, to build a classically-styled course with great greens but without the flashiness of some of our other recent work -- particularly St. Andrews Beach, which Brian had just finished building.  That the course has not received more praise says something more about the raters and what they want these days, than it does about our efforts there.

You are probably right that who's the lead associate matters less on our courses than it does for some other architects.  That's partly because I'm on site a bit more, but also because no matter who's the lead guy for us, he has a lot of help from others who are shaping the course.

As for your comparison of Diamond Creek and Mountaintop ... again, pure speculation on your part.  Does the lead associate for Fazio even do the routing for the courses they oversee, or does someone else in the office [or perhaps even Tom Fazio] actually do them?

Likewise, I believe Jay Flemma has pointed out that when he interviewed Mike Strantz, Mike said that he had no involvement in World Woods.  Your comment is the first I've heard of him being involved in Wade Hampton, too, but you might be right about that one, I have never heard anything about who did what there.

If the Warren Hendersons and Jay Blasis and Scott Hoffmans of the world really want recognition, they are just going to have to do something great on their own so we will all know for sure.  Otherwise, there will always be doubts, for good reason.  And once they're on their own, how long will it be before you start wondering which of THEIR associates is actually doing the good work?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
As someone who was an associate – and was “rumored” to have “actually” done a course that I didn’t - I can honestly say people should be more careful with their attribution.

On the last project I worked for Doug I spent more than double the time on the site, but when we hit a design decision in the field that mattered the decision was his to make. I had influence on the design and some routing recommendations were incorporated both in design and in the field, but Doug still made the final call.

I don’t believe the final approval on greens, some bunker work in the field or any other small detail stuff adds up to much compared to the routing and the layout of the key features. We may have worked on some of the design work together, but he made the final call on the routing and design of the holes. That makes him the designer. That makes me – the associate – the field guy.

I called the editor who made the wrong attribution and asked for a change to be made. While I want credit for what I do, I don’t want credit for what I didn’t do. It’s also why I insist my name never gets attached to a restoration project in the course rankings.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Ian:

Doesn't the ASGCA make this situation worse, by letting lead associates claim various projects as their own, for the purposes of admission to the group?  Or do they require that the associate actually did the routing of the course and the layout of the key features?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Ian:

Doesn't the ASGCA make this situation worse, by letting lead associates claim various projects as their own, for the purposes of admission to the group?  Or do they require that the associate actually did the routing of the course and the layout of the key features?

Have you ever doen a project where the routing was not your own? One of your associates?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
Ian:

Have you ever doen a project where the routing was not your own? One of your associates?

As has been well documented, I inherited much of the routing of the Old Course at Stonewall from Tom Fazio -- I only changed holes 3 and 4 slightly (eliminating a par 3 in between them), and then 9, 10 and 18 (reversing his 10th and 18th, and adding a par-3 on that side).

Otherwise, the routings are 90% mine.  Sometimes Don Placek has contributed to them in the office, and sometimes one of my associates has suggested a short sequence of holes in the field -- Eric Iverson came up with the first three holes at Rock Creek, for example, and Jim Urbina changed the sequence around a bit at Old Macdonald, mostly with regard to the 16th and 17th holes.  And, I borrowed several holes from Bill Coore at Streamsong!!  [I am not stupid enough to try and change great holes, just because they aren't my idea.]  But, in general, figuring out how to put the puzzle together is the part I'm best at.  That's what minimalism is really all about -- it only works if you put the holes in the right places.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »
Ian:

I'll answer Tom.
Yes it does.

I don't know what particulars are required, but I do know that they aren't universally applied by the individual firms.

How long before Jim Urbina is eligible?

Bill,
The design credit is up to the client.
Love got the job, the client hired Love, paid Love.
I can call Diamante a Cowley design, but a magazine shouldn't.
Cowley couldn't have done it without Love.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
Regarding ASGCA letting associates claim credit for work for admission purposes, yes they do, but only with the principle's permission, whether or not that associate has left the firm.   I know I have "reserved" the right to claim a course for a former member of my firm knowing that he was the one who did the most work on it.

We have a grading system whereby our sponsors (one of who had to be a principle if still an associate) would rank the applicants contribution to all areas of design from A to D (100% to less than 25%).

Is it consistent?  Pretty much so, but I do recall one principle who wouldn't let anyone in from his firm because they all worked on it and so on one could claim 100% of the routing.  IMHO, that is not really necessary as most offices are sort of a group project type.  If I am sponsoring or evaluating, I simply ask the applicant, owners, and whoever else was there some simple questions and its usually pretty easy to tell if the applicant really knew the routing, specs, field design changes, etc.

I am also not particularly sure that what we come up with to determine a qualified golf architect is germane to public credit, which also, IMHO remains the province of the principle of the firm, as TD suggests.  There is no universal agreement that associates should or should not be credited, nor is there any consistency.  A Ron Whitten or Brad Klein might tend to delve deeper than travel writers, who probably figure the top name is plenty enough for their purposes.  So, it would be hard to say ASGCA makes anything worse from a broad perspective.

Back on topic, I enjoyed the article, at least after I got past the obligatory history of golf design that proceeded the specifics about Wilson.  I downloaded it to read on the plane on the way to Wilson's only other CA design, La Costa.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
We have a grading system whereby our sponsors (one of who had to be a principle if still an associate) would rank the applicants contribution to all areas of design from A to D (100% to less than 25%).

Is it consistent?  Pretty much so, but I do recall one principle who wouldn't let anyone in from his firm because they all worked on it and so on one could claim 100% of the routing.  IMHO, that is not really necessary as most offices are sort of a group project type.  If I am sponsoring or evaluating, I simply ask the applicant, owners, and whoever else was there some simple questions and its usually pretty easy to tell if the applicant really knew the routing, specs, field design changes, etc.

Jeff:

Just curious ... what are all the "areas of design" where an associate's contributions are evaluated?  It might help me figure out how much credit someone or other should get [or how much they should be paid ;) ].

And do they really just have to KNOW the routing as opposed to having DONE it?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
Tom,

I don't have a form in front of me but it used to be Envionrmental Assessment/Permitting, Routing, Feature Design, Grading, Drainage, Grassing, Irrigation, Construction Evaluation.  All ranked A-D.  When I evaluate, I don't necessarily look for an A in all categories, because not everyone gets involved in grass choices, etc.  And, for a guy in a firm who doesn't do a lot of plans, we can still adjust, as the form has areas for "other comments."  That said, I can recall a few field guys for big firms that were held back because it was clear they were solely implementers of the higher ups ideas, and not designers in the field.

Defining a gca is certainly a moving target in many respects!

The intent is that the applicant has actively participated in the routing the course, but admittedly, we have only the principal's and applicant's word to go on, and enough questions or listening for the applicant to tip his hand one way or the other, if independently evaluating.  While not flawless, the entire system sort of depends on the "it takes one to know one" and "if it walks like a duck" rules. 

In other words, between sending in the ap to the membership committee, four on site reviewers, five reviews by owners, an interview with the executive committee, and possible comments by all members, if someone could fool all those people.....well, its just not likely.

Just as an example, I recall one tour pro who lost out when he listed safety corridors as 150 feet, another who listed his standard green slope as "the normal 6-8%".  Must have been boning up for the interview by reviewing Golden Age golf books!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
Jeff, that "6-8%" is really funny!  The only 8% I've ever seen was the front of #8 at Pasatiempo.   I know that's what it was because Neal Meagher brought his inclinometer with him!   Absolutely unpinnable.   "6-8%!".  ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
Bill,

I recall playing Southern Pines with Neal and he had a digital level sticking out of his golf bag like a 15th club.  I also recall Perry Dye measuring the slope on an old time Redan at 12%.  Now, we wouldn't build a reverse slope Redan over 2%, I don't think.

It would actually be fascinating to most people to see the progression of typical green slopes over the years.  In my experience, 6% was pretty typical for Bermuda greens in the 50's. I presume bent greens were somewhat less.  Plans and greens from the 60's that I have seen with bent were already in the 3-4% range.  By the 70's I would say 2.5% was typical, 2% through the end of the century, and since 2000, 1.5- to just under 2% seems typical.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
getting back towards the topic's title.....THANK YOU Kevin Mendik!   I really enjoyed your paper.  My "first" knowledge of Dick Wilson came in 1966/7 when I became an assistant in the Bahamas at King's Inn (Emerald Course) and I started to hear stories about Wilson and Craig Wood during the building of the LUCAYAN Club (using white hotel table cloths from the hotel casino as turning points etc., I wish Bob Drum and Charles Price had written the tale)  I have become more of a Wilson fan during the past 45 years, cringing as his courses have been modernized.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
getting back towards the topic's title.....THANK YOU Kevin Mendik!   I really enjoyed your paper.  My "first" knowledge of Dick Wilson came in 1966/7 when I became an assistant in the Bahamas at King's Inn (Emerald Course) and I started to hear stories about Wilson and Craig Wood during the building of the LUCAYAN Club (using white hotel table cloths from the hotel casino as turning points etc., I wish Bob Drum and Charles Price had written the tale)  I have become more of a Wilson fan during the past 45 years, cringing as his courses have been modernized.

I really liked the Wilson Doral Blue first time I played it in 1975.  My first impression was the third shot to #1, where the pin was just visible above bunkers that fronted the green of the short par 5.  There was such a width of sand that it was hard to tell where in the green the hole was cut - left or right!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back