News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Golf Course Architect Stephen Kay
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
Good article on Kay who has a major presence at the NJ Shore- Blue Heron Pines, Emerald Links, Harbor Pines and nearby Scotland Run are his original designs in the area:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/golf/local-links-golf-architect-kay-leaves-his-mark-on-area/article_22250d76-32be-51ac-a38e-d8cc635c47a3.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: Golf Course Architect Stephen Kay
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
Thanks for the link Steve-o. I enjoyed the article.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Architects Club is good-to-great and regardless of any of the nitpicking the cognoscenti can do, it gets people to begin to understand and think about golf architecture without gimmick.

I consider Stephen a good friend and he is a first rate individual as well. Hope to finally put together an interview with him for GolfClubAtlas.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
Architects Club is good-to-great and regardless of any of the nitpicking the cognoscenti can do, it gets people to begin to understand and think about golf architecture without gimmick.

I consider Stephen a good friend and he is a first rate individual as well. Hope to finally put together an interview with him for GolfClubAtlas.

Well said, Kyle.  I think, to add to this, it can be said that his courses, especially the public access courses, can be enjoyed by multiple levels of player-of course, playing from the appropriate set of tees.  This is evident in courses such as Blue Heron and Scotland Run. 

I, too, consider Stephen a friend.  What is notable is his willingness to stand in the cold with me for an hour outside of Cedarbrook 4-5 years ago after a GAP seminar and talk architecture with me.  The man didn't know me from Adam at the time and couldn't have been nicer.  He also spends a good amount of time volunteering his time with the GAP, MGA, and NJSGA.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
My experience with Stephen Kay's work has been limited to the Links at Union Vale, but that was one heck of an introduction.  Other than an awkward tee shot on 18, I absolutely loved Union Vale.  Before my trip to Long Island this summer, I heard much about the ground game options at Tallgrass, but ended up being much more impressed with Union Vale.  Talk about options - at one point, i dropped three balls and played Wedge, 8 iron runner, and putter from 100 yards (the latter ended up closest).

Ron Montesano & I are already searching out more of Kay's work during our future travels.  I look forward to learning more about his work.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Anyone that has played his NJ area courses also play Red Mike? (The Links of ND)

Is Red Mike not his highest rated course in the magazine rankings?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:25:58 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
 8) ;D ;)

I'm friendly with Steve and he's really a good guy. Loves golf, can play a little and is fun.    Think that his course at Blue Heron was better than the Smyers course which was rated highly by many. Lots of enjoyable holes with challenge yet lots of options . Gotta drive it straight and keep it under the hole .  He really enjoys his work and Is wiling to share his knowledge.   

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Fun Fact: If Stephen Kay ever had a "signature" or "template" he is standing in front of it in the picture with the article.

David Cronheim

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
I'm a big fan of his work at Scotland Run and Blue Heron Pines. I remember playing Blue Heron shortly after it opened in the NJSGA's father/son tournament and falling in love with the course. I have always found it to be a very fun track, similar to many of the courses in the sand hills of NC region. Scotland Run was a pleasant surprise and as good a public course as you'll find in NJ - you have to love the abandoned/crashed plane in the sand quarry on one of the back nine holes.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back