News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

Erin Hills and the Amateur
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Is it ready?  Were the planned changes completed?  Anyone seen it recently?   Will it work for the Amateur this week?

PCCraig

Re: Erin Hills and the Amateur
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
I hope the course is dry and in good condition this week. Regardless of the course's condition I'm looking forward to watching the tournament this week!
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
Is it ready?  Were the planned changes completed?  Anyone seen it recently?   Will it work for the Amateur this week?

Played there in late May.  Looks ready to go to me and planned changes are complete.  I think it will be a fine venue.  BTW, free admission for patrons.

Here is a photo album:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/erinhills/

Here is my earlier thread called "Wisconsin photo tour" with some pics and discussion of EH at the beginning:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48480.0.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Cronheim

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing Erin Hills last August and cannot say enough good things about the course. I simply cannot believe it doesn't get more acclaim than it does. It's only somewhat remote as it's about 2 hrs from Chicago, but if you're going that way, you're much more likely to go to Whistling Straits.

The course has a great mix of interesting holes, short long, around, over, etc., even a blind shot or two thrown in for good measure. I'm perhaps biased towards it because I played my best round of the summer there from the tips, but it's a real gem. The creepy basilica on the hill nearby adds a spooky element that only further persuades you you're in Ireland. If the wind blows, the guys will really struggle I predict.

I can't wait to get back out there, but for this summer I'll just have to watch it on TV. Can't wait!
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
My friend Jesse an 11 handi, played it last FRi, with his Son- a scratch, and Jesse shot over 100 from the whites, and son 95 from blue.  His son regularly shoots par to low 70s at 'the Bull', which is the tough Nicklaus course, so he is no chimp. Many three putts in the group.  He said the conditions were very good, and the rough didn't factor (but he really hits a nice controlled but short ball finding the FW most every shot.
The weather has moderated from all the heat, and if it holds, it should be ideal.  He said he couldn't make FW a couple of times, too long of a walkout.

I'm not sure yet which day, probably during an early round, but at least the  two of us are going.  For those who may go and have the time or extra day, don't miss viewing a round at Blue Mounds, which may be even more of a point of interest to the old school GCA fossils who haven't seen that excellent series of Raynor template holes.  I won't be going to BM this time, since I"ve seen/played it a couple times.  But for a first timer, it is a treat.  I'll be very interested to see the big boys tackle EH.

If anyone is going, try me on IM, and maybe we can arrange same day and meet-up.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:12 AM »
anyone heading up?  I'm thinking of heading up for the Saturday round with my son....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
If I were closer, I'd be just as interested in visiting Blue Mound for one of the stroke play rounds to watch some of the young guys play a shorter Seth Raynor design.
H.P.S.

David Cronheim

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
Short hitters will definitely struggle. I'm a fairly long hitter (carry it about 275, so can hit it 300 yds when the ground is dry) and there were a few into the wind holes where I couldn't make it to the top of an upslope, leaving a horribly awkward, long uphill shot to the green. I think it may have been 8? Try hitting a three wood off a 35+ degree slope to a blind green...rough

The day I played, my girlfriend and I were joined by two guys who dressed like they were straight out of a Nike commercial. One shot 65, the other 74. On the front nine....they refused to move up a set of tees and neither would've broken 150.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Here are more threads...

One I did last summer at about this time, when it was much wetter, of Erin Hills:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45966.0.html

And here's one from last summer of Blue Mound:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45401.0.html

Some thoughts:

-- It's hard to imagine two more contrasting golf courses than Erin Hills and Blue Mound; I think those who play Erin Hills first will have a tougher time gearing down for BM than the other way around.

-- It has been (at least an hour west and somewhat south of the two courses) pretty darn dry here for the past few weeks; BM is typically kept pretty green, while I know the folks at EH were hoping for a dry lead-in to the Amateur. Looks like they got it.

-- (Edit) Here is the championship website: http://www.2011usamateur.com/ The USGA link at http://www.usga.org/ChampEventSite.aspx?id=17179869326 has the list of players, pairings, and starting times.

-- Also, admission to the entire tournament at both courses is free for all days of the championship.

(If anyone needs any help on getting to either course, or other insights, feel free to IM me; I'm headed up to EH sometime during the championship.)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:47:57 AM by Phil McDade »

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
I've had this on my calendar for a year now.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how the top Ams play the firm turf and undulating fairways at EH.  Hopefully the USGA uses some elasticity with the set-ups over the week, because depending on wind and firmness, I would guess the course can play very different from day to day.  I really hope they don't take it all the way out to 8,200 or whatever the true tips measure out at.

What hole is everyone most interested in seeing the Ams play?  #2 should be pretty cool with the various options and the opportunity to drive the green.  #15 will be neat as well for similar reasons.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
It's a very good course.  I like it as much and maybe even better than Straits, which is a little excessive (to say the least) with the eye candy and a bit of an abomination for a finishing hole.  It will be a great site for the Amateur and for the US Open as well.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »
George:

I'll watch #2 a lot; my favorite hole on the course, and one of more polarizing ones out there. #15 as well should be fun to watch.

I'll be interested to see whether they make any of the par 5s truly reachable in two for the Ams, who hit it a ton. Also interested in how #12 plays; it was a beast during last year's Mid-Am qualifying.

For those who haven't been to Erin Hills, there are a number of mounds and hills with great vantage points to watch multiple holes. But be prepared for a bit of hiking -- some of the best vantage points are aways away from the clubhouse.

Jim Tang

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »
I played there last fall and will be interested to see the Am played there.   I played the course both before and after the major changes.  It is a much better course, currently.  Wow, it's a demanding walk, and that comes from a guy who walks all the time.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Pretty interesting synopsis of Erin Hills history

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/128134403.html

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 02:23:07 AM »
I played it in July, phenomenal course.  It will be great for the Am and great for the US Open. I didn't follow all of the fuss about the changes but what they have right now is great.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:35 AM »
Pretty interesting synopsis of Erin Hills history

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/128134403.html

Buck:

Here's the definitive story on Erin Hills, and the interesting and odd road that led to this week's championship (and the US Open):

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-01/golf_erin_hills_ginella_0125

I think it's fair to say Whitten, among the original architects, is not terribly happy w/ how this all turned out.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
They're off and going.  Early scores look pretty good.
Anybody know anything about the other course being used for stroke play--Blue Mound?

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
They're off and going.  Early scores look pretty good.
Anybody know anything about the other course being used for stroke play--Blue Mound?

Jim:

See reply #8 on this thread.

There may be a 1,000-yard difference in the two courses, which may be a USGA first/record.

So far a pretty good mix of scores -- leader is -5 at Blue Mound (par 70), with Uihlein in with a 68 (-4) at EH (par 72). Some rounds in the mid-to-high 70s at each course. Ideal scoring conditions today in Wisconsin -- temps in mid-70s with a light breeze. Turns more humid the next two days, with a chance of late-afternoon rains/storms tomorrow, which could interrupt play.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:10:19 PM by Phil McDade »

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Potentially obvious question alert :) : They keep the pins in the same location both days on the respective courses right?

So I assume Blue Mound is using quite a bit of hard and "sucker" pins to keep the scores from going very low. I am pretty surprised that 65 is the low round so far.
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
Short hitters will definitely struggle. I'm a fairly long hitter (carry it about 275, so can hit it 300 yds when the ground is dry) and there were a few into the wind holes where I couldn't make it to the top of an upslope, leaving a horribly awkward, long uphill shot to the green. I think it may have been 8? Try hitting a three wood off a 35+ degree slope to a blind green...rough

The day I played, my girlfriend and I were joined by two guys who dressed like they were straight out of a Nike commercial. One shot 65, the other 74. On the front nine....they refused to move up a set of tees and neither would've broken 150.

David-
I must be missing something.  If one of the guys shot 65 from the tips, why do you think he wouldn't have broken 150? 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:28 PM »
    US Am by the numbers...

Erin Hills
-- Set up at 7,760 yards and will play to a par of 36-36–72. (Longest course in USGA history, surpassing the 7,742 yards played at Chambers Bay last year)

Blue Mound Golf & Country Club
-- Set up at 6,622 yards and will play to a par of 35-35–70.

The front nines at the two courses have a 600-yard differential, but only one-shot to par difference.

Blue Mound has a 492-yard par-5, while Erin Hills has four par-4s over 490.

(http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2011/8/19/erin-hills-longest-course-in-usga-history-even-though-distan.html)[/list]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:47:11 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David Cronheim

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »

David-
I must be missing something.  If one of the guys shot 65 from the tips, why do you think he wouldn't have broken 150? 

The course is a slog - a very tough and long walk. I think the back 9 his harder. 65 on the front was his better 9...

JMEvensky

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »

So I assume Blue Mound is using quite a bit of hard and "sucker" pins to keep the scores from going very low. I am pretty surprised that 65 is the low round so far.

Pure speculation,but I'd guess not--pace of play trumps resistance to scoring.It's hard enough to get that many guys around the golf course putting every flag in the center of every green.

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »
I think one other thing needs mentioning -- EH is designed to play fast and firm, with wide fescue fairways, so it's probably playing "shorter" than 7,760, as Wisconsin's had a nice run of dry weather lately. BM, on the other hand, is kept pretty green and is pretty tight -- my guess is that nearly everyone playing is using whatever they can off the tee to place the ball where they want to for approach shots. I can see the smart amateurs not using their drivers all that much at BM -- you really don't need to that often.

Added: EH also has a number of elevated tee shots; BM plays on very flat terrain, with hardly any elevated tee shots.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:57:33 PM by Phil McDade »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »

David-

The course is a slog - a very tough and long walk. I think the back 9 his harder. 65 on the front was his better 9...

Ahhh, I thought the 65 was for 18 holes and you meant 150 as two-round score . . . not that these guys were two complete chops.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back