News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

JEFF WARNE and Whoever Else has a Contribution to Make
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:34:20 AM »
Jeff

I know you have done quite a bit of the WEE in Ireland and have done so on several forced march tours.  I would like to pick your pocket for info on the courses I may normally drive by.  Now, please take into account

1. My group while not terribly discerning, does like a mix of famous and value - but value with quality.
2. We take short trips so one or two WEES is the max to be played on any given trip.  In other words, the WEES must fit logistically with the famous. 
3. We have a few VERY high cappers. 
4. We only do links.

You have already persuaded me concerning Kirkistown and Northwest. 

I am already sold on Strandhill.  Spangles sold me on Arklow. Somebody a while ago sold me on Cruit Island. 

I am not convinced by Dunfanaghy.

Help me out.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

Re: JEFF WARNE and Whoever Else has a Contribution to Make
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Jeff

I know you have done quite a bit of the WEE in Ireland and have done so on several forced march tours.  I would like to pick your pocket for info on the courses I may normally drive by.  Now, please take into account

1. My group while not terribly discerning, does like a mix of famous and value - but value with quality.
2. We take short trips so one or two WEES is the max to be played on any given trip.  In other words, the WEES must fit logistically with the famous.  
3. We have a few VERY high cappers.  
4. We only do links.

You have already persuaded me concerning Kirkistown and Northwest.  

I am already sold on Strandhill.  Spangles sold me on Arklow. Somebody a while ago sold me on Cruit Island.  

Help me out.

Ciao

Dunfanaghy(ask Donal) over Kirkistown, by a decent margin.(both very playable for cappers)
Kirkistown quite difficult to get to
Mulranny(9) if near Carne
connemara Isles (9) if near Connemara or galway (closer to galway)

Value?
Narin and Portnoo!!!
use your Open Fairways card-2 for 1

Cruit? a true architecture critic will pan.
Or at least I keep reading bad stuff here.
My group loved it. I loved it.

Do not drive by Northwest

Otway-our group enjoyed and you met them-but it's crazy

gweedore-we had a great time-
very local-great craic

best to look at my thread on the northwest

I personally would rather play Dunfanagy or Northwest over Rosapenna (either course-although I do enjoy the Old Tom nine)

Are you talking about the whole country?
because this could get long...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:10:02 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
Classic...I have played Mulranny.

We stopped there while driving to Westport, and I managed to shoot -2 somehow.

I later bought a Mulranny postcard off eBay to commemorate.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
Sean A. -

I share Jeff W.'s enthusiasm for Narin & Protnoo. However, I was there in 1994 and I believe the course has had some changes (relatively minor ones, I think) since then. It is located in a really pretty spot.

DT

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »

Help me out.

Ciao

Sean,

Knowing that you're the kind of person that weighs up the cost v quality, I think at about €20, Dunfanaghy is tremendous value. It's just under 6000 yds, so it is also a bit more forgiving when it comes to high handicappers. It's no pushover either.

The first 6 holes are probably the least exciting, so I can understand your luke warm feelings, if it's based on the 7 holes I posted so far. Which reminds me, I kind of forgot about the Dunfanaghy photo tour I started a few months back. I better get cracking on it again.

I would also include Nairn & Portnoo, Rosapenna and Portsalon if you were in that part of the country.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
Jeff

Yes, ALL of Ireland.  Why muck about with mini lists?

Dunfanaghy eh?  I am not seeing much interest in Donal's thread or on the website. 

So you aren't all that keen on Kirkistown?

Mulranny will take some investigating - same Connemara Isles.  Any pix of Gweedore?  Somebody told me there is some good golf there.

Already high on N&P.  Otway has been on my perhaps list for quite some time.  I think this used to be called something different when I first read about it.  Cruit is already on the list.

SWAG

Yes, Dooks has been on the list for a spell.  I won't get to it next year though as I have a feeling these could be my last visits to Ballybunion and Lahinch.  Its a good deal for Lahinch - 185 Euro for two days on the Old including an all-important weekend day.

Corballis does look quite good.  Do you know of any pix?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
I thought Dunfanaghy was great. Thought 6-11 were really good. 16-18 solid finish, although aim left of the aiming pole on 18. Great scenery. Exactly what I what I was hoping for in a course on my first trip to Ireland. North West and Portsalon more interesting.

Portsalon had so much variety it was overwhelming. I would like to spend a day there.

For those who have negative things to say about Cruit--- who cares. Cruit was my highlight on a trip that included basically everything worth seeing in Donegal.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
Another fine course that is often overlooked due to being a bit out there is Ceann Sibeal. It is located out on the Dingle peninsula. I first played it in 1977 and fell in love with the wind swept links. The drive out from Killarney is as spectacular as Ireland gets. Back in the day one needed to speak the native language,Gaelic, as English was not the primary language. Very good bang for your buck- also an excellent addition to a day where Dooks is played in the morning. Spanish Point is another sporty course close to Lahinch and Doonbeg that you may enjoy as well.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »
Portsalon had so much variety it was overwhelming. I would like to spend a day there.

I too found there to be a lot of variety to the point that the course had an inland feel about it in parts.  Liked all of the parts but not sure if it all fits together right, maybe it is the transitions.  If you are up for adventure and not with a bunch of trophy hunters it is a good choice.

I need to get a picture of the sign on the back nine posted.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back