News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Las Vegas - Where to go?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
If you're staying at the Wynn, I'd definitely play there the day of your meeting.  They have half price deals on summer afternoons and it's decent Fazio and right out your back door.  And you can channel the spirit of all the money matches that went down at the old Desert Inn course.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
You can get a rental car at the Comopolitan and drive out to Paiute.  I played the 54 holes there last year in one day; very nice courses.  I still think Shadow Creek for $500 is a much better deal than any of the other courses around.  Cascata is a long drive at $300; Shadow Creek you to and from the course as part of the cost.  I would vote for Shadow Creek; Wolf Creek is a complete waste of a day.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »
You can get a rental car at the Comopolitan and drive out to Paiute.  I played the 54 holes there last year in one day; very nice courses.  I still think Shadow Creek for $500 is a much better deal than any of the other courses around.  Cascata is a long drive at $300; Shadow Creek you to and from the course as part of the cost.  I would vote for Shadow Creek; Wolf Creek is a complete waste of a day.

Most of the big hotels have rental car places on site.

Frank M

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »
Pauite Wolf for me.

Wolf Creek is more about the visuals than anything. It's an interesting experience and fun cart ride, but I wouldn't call it a great golf course by any stretch...great fun? sure.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 06:02:40 AM »
Pauite Wolf for me.

Wolf Creek is more about the visuals than anything. It's an interesting experience and fun cart ride, but I wouldn't call it a great golf course by any stretch...great fun? sure.

So A course that is Great Fun does not = Great Golf Course

so.......by that logic

Great Fun = Crappy Golf Course
No Fun at All = Great Golf Course

;)

But seriously, I don't get it.

My top 2 golf courses would also be the most fun golf courses to play... I kind of understand what your getting at but I think the fun factor, needs to be a larger factor of the courses greatness. I think golf rankings should reflect and account for that.

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
Plenty of fun things out there that aren't great golf.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Casey Wade

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
What is all this love for Paiute?  While I found the course in very good shape, I didn't think the layout was great.  With the predeominant wind crossing on a lot of holes made it even more difficult, especially on some of the blind shots.

BTW, I had to rent a car for the day just to drive out there and it cost me about $85.

I found The Legacy much more fun to play, A LOT closer to the strip, and easier on the pocketbook.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Frank M

Re: Las Vegas - Where to go? New
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
There are many courses which are fun but not great. I should have been slightly more clear about what is fun at Wolf Creek.

Wolf Creek was fun to me because of the visuals, the canyon setting, the wild cart paths, the drive-thru halfway house, the waterfall in the desert etc. Things that don't necessarily make a good golf course, but a different experience. Even though an hour away, I felt it was typical "Vegas style". More theme park golf and exuberance for the sake of exuberance.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 08:17:04 PM by Frank M »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
Has anyone played The Chase at Coyote Springs? Saw some reviews that said it was worth the 45-1 hour drive.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
ARCHITECTURE?
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
in Vegas for 48 hours - discovered 'the European pool' at the Wynn and decided no golf could be good enough to drag me away

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »
Within easy driving distance is Southern Hills G.C. Lots of waterfalls and an enjoyable days golf.

Bob

Martin Toal

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:04 AM »

I have actually heard that Royal Links is not offensively bad if you can be okay with the replica course thing....haven't played it though, but it's strip-convenient and not $400.

Depends how bad offensively bad is. If it includes expensive, contrived, cliched and corny, then I am afraid it possibly is.

I haven't played much else around bar Reflection Bay at Lake Las Vegas (about 20-30 mins drive) and Primm, on the NV/CA border. The former was OK, the latter pretty good.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Keith, pictures?

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
Keith - Having been here 24 hours, I think you are on the right track!

I actually ended up with a good solution re: golf.  I am travelling with a few friends that are Marine officers.  I am now playing 18 at Nellis AFB for a whopping $28!  Anyone ever played out there?

Keith Phillips

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
no cameras allowed (what happens in vegas...)

re. golf, while i didn't play the wynn course, i actually thought the value proposition was reasonable - while the golf is expensive at $300/round, that price includes rental clubs, rental shoes, cart and forecaddie, and the room rates are amazingly low for the exceptional quality - $149/night for rooms i would rate at least 9s on the Doak scale :)

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
I'll be in Las Vegas next week for work and was contemplating sneaking a round in on Tuesday. If anyone is going to be there and wants to play let me know.

Also has anyone played The Chase at Coyote Springs that is an hour from the Strip?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
I'll be in Las Vegas next week for work and was contemplating sneaking a round in on Tuesday. If anyone is going to be there and wants to play let me know.

Also has anyone played The Chase at Coyote Springs that is an hour from the Strip?

Bueller... Bueller...

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »
I played The Chase last year.  I didn't think it was that outstanding, but it certainly is more playable than from what I see of The Idaho Club.  To me, the six or seven artificial lakes look out of place, when it looks you could be on the moon when you look away from the course.  I would also check out if they are overseeding.  Nearly all of the courses in the area are in the midst of that.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I played The Chase last year.  I didn't think it was that outstanding, but it certainly is more playable than from what I see of The Idaho Club.  To me, the six or seven artificial lakes look out of place, when it looks you could be on the moon when you look away from the course.  I would also check out if they are overseeding.  Nearly all of the courses in the area are in the midst of that.

Thanks Brad, I appreciate the incite. Any recommendations on best bang for your buck in Vegas?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
The December issue of Golf Digest features a solid guide on golf in Las Vegas...

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-12/las-vegas-travel

... that includes a list of the top 25 courses in the area.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-12/las-vegas-travel

1. SHADOW CREEK
2. CASCATA
3. SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS
4. THE G.C. AT SOUTH SHORE
5. WYNN LAS VEGAS
6. LAS VEGAS PAIUTE GOLF RESORT (WOLF)
7. RIO SECCO G.C.
8. TPC SUMMERLIN
9. PRIMM VALLEY G.C. (LAKES)
10. PRIMM VALLEY G.C. (DESERT)
11. TPC LAS VEGAS
12. LAS VEGAS PAIUTE GOLF RESORT (SUN MOUNTAIN)
13. DRAGONRIDGE C.C.
14. THE LAS VEGAS C.C.
15. LAS VEGAS PAIUTE GOLF RESORT (SNOW MOUNTAIN)
16. SPANISH TRAIL C.C.
17. BEAR'S BEST LAS VEGAS
18. ANTHEM C.C.
19. RED ROCK C.C.
20. BALI HAI G.C.
21. CANYON GATE C.C.
22. ARROYO G.C. AT RED ROCK
23. THE REVERE G.C. (LEXINGTON)
24. BOULDER CREEK G.C.
25. ROYAL LINKS G.C
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 06:49:13 PM »
Don't agree with that list that as a resident. Must have had some Vegas influence($$$$$$) on the rankings.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »
Don't agree with that list that as a resident. Must have had some Vegas influence($$$$$$) on the rankings.

Brad could you provide where you think the published list is wrong (some reasoning would be good as well).

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »

Bueller... Bueller...

Here's a link to a photo tour of The Chase

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
Joe,

Will get back to you on this at home, iPad isn't easiest way to do this!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back