News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: Course Raters- status quo or upset the apple cart
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Lou, to be honest I'll have to browse through a couple of my old books to remember how that stuff works. I'll try to get to that in the next few days and give you a couple of suggestions to try.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Correction....Golfweek raters do NOT pay an annual fee...

Michael,

Assuming you sit down and plan an annual budget. Can you make the statement that you do/would not include any monies earmarked for GolfWeek given your position as a panelist?

By the way don't forget to fix Brad's little agenda regarding a certain course in Mexico!  ;)

Greg..
Absolutely I can say that...
I subscribe to golfweek, golf world, gold digest, golf magazine and Golf International...by the way the best of the bunch.... and do so as a non rater for all those other magazines.
As far as I am concerned I get no kick backs that influence my ratings whatsoever...I rate what Isee and in all honsety I like what I like and dislike what I dislike.

But I will try and change the apparent mistake in the cabo area ;)

The question was about GolfWeek charging you to be a panelist? You are saying thyere are no costs to a panel member of GolfWeek?

Glad to hear about the no kickbacks... just doing my budget for 2012 and my "GolfWeek Panelist Buyoff" line item was rejected by one of those accountant types. You'll have to settle for a Michelada on me.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »
 ;D
Sorry Greg...got the facts backwards..oh yes it certainly costs me.........but sometimes the hardship of payong out of pocket to play a place like Crystal Downs or..dare I say it Cabo del Sol......well it makes the burden a little easier to swallow.....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
OK - let me play rater....

Best courses I've played or walked in no particular order:
Sand Hills
Merion East
Pacific Dunes
Pine Valley (walked)
Augusta National (walked)
Bandon Dunes
Lancaster CC
Rolling Green
Pete Dye GC
French Creek (ok - I'm a homer)
Hidden Creek
Bandon Trails
Dismal River
Bulls Bay
Eastmoreland (when properly maintained)
Beechtree (NLE)

Am I qualified?

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
I guess I haven't been round long enough to read to many of the rater threads.  I certainly didn't mean to stir some pot Ii didn't know existed but for the most part learned a bunch about the process and can better understand why the rankings ar what they are. 

Dan

David Harshbarger

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
Unless one is concerned about using Ran's bandwidth, why are folks bothered about where the discussion goes?  Self-discipline and selective perception are not being unduly challenged here.  Don't like the subject or the poster?  Don't click on the thread or page down quickly.  Simple.  No?

But anyway, such systems are pretty much plug-n-chug. Built into all the usual stats software and such.

Thanks Brent.  Are there easily modifiable canned models that would allow me to do this?  Say I had 10 raters that would give me their individual rankings.  Is there an existing program that would give me a composite "best fit" list of these?  I'd like to play with, preferably if it is in Excel.

Lou,

I did extensive modeling using a program called S-Plus, which is now available as a web tool, but then was a desktop app.  I could do things like cluster analyses of weekly football picks in a few minutes, with graphs, or with coding the ranking type statistics you are interested in.

The free version is R, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language), which has some kind of Excel plug-in.  My experience with S-plus was that with reading the guides, you could get to the routine that would spit out a number or result that had the right structure.  Not being a statistcian, being confident that result isn't being perverted by some bias you don't know to look for, that's the tough part.

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Kelly

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »
OK - let me play rater....

Best courses I've played or walked in no particular order:
Sand Hills
Merion East
Pacific Dunes
Pine Valley (walked)
Augusta National (walked)
Bandon Dunes
Lancaster CC
Rolling Green
Pete Dye GC
French Creek (ok - I'm a homer)
Hidden Creek
Bandon Trails
Dismal River
Bulls Bay
Eastmoreland (when properly maintained)
Beechtree (NLE)

Am I qualified?

Maybe you could put out your own "Best Courses I've Walked List."
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Good one...  Best courses I've walked but not played:
1. Pine Valley
2. Augusta
3. Ridgewood
4. Baltrusol
5. Niagara Falls CC

Lou_Duran

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »
Thanks Dave.  Every approach has problems.  I'll try to play with it later this year.  I may ask a dozen or so national raters I know to adapt their lists and see how it works.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
I call it as I see it. If that upsets the "apple cart" - then so be it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back