News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Chambers Bay pics
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »
Sunday August 7th, my wife and I had the distinct pleasure of golfing at Chambers Bay, Tacoma Washington, with Rich Choi.

Chambers Bay is without a doubt the coolest golf course I've ever seen (in person) or played. There have been several great photo threads on CB by previous posters, but I thought I'd take a few minutes and add a few more. I've tried to place my fellow golfers in each photo to help add perspective to this amazing place. As always, the camera tends to flatten things out, so with humans in the photos one gets a better idea of the scale of the golf course.

The first hole ... "Puget Sound".

In the first fairway...

On the 2nd green...

Walking off the 3rd tee...

The 4th tee...

Approach to the green on the 4th, "Hazard's Ascent"...

Rich teeing up at "Freefall", the 5th...

At the 6th tee...

Approaching the 6th green...

Rich in greenside bunker at the 6th...

Looking up the 7th, aka "Humpback"...

At the 8th tee...

Approach on the 8th...

Rich on the par-3 9th, "Olympus"...

Looking back up to the 9th tees and clubhouse from behind the green...

Thanks again to Rich for helping to set up the game for us.

Back 9 pics to follow.

Jim

Jim Johnson

Re: Chambers Bay pics
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Teeing off on #10 "High Dunes"...

Approaching the 10th green...

At #12, "The Narrows"...

13th fairway...

13th greensite...

"Cape Fear", the 14th hole...

Rich teeing off on #15 at "Lone Fir"...

Walking to the 15th green...

This is the walking path which bisects the property...

At the 16th, "Beached"...

Rich at the 17th, "Derailed"...

Approach at the 18th hole "Tahoma"...

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
Jim,

Your pictures give a nice scale to the course.  Were there any particular features of holes that you enjoyed?  Why?

As an FYI there will be some changes to CB in the near future that will please most GCAers.  I believe it will only get better.

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
I've never played there, but.... does it have anything to do with 8&9?

Jim, I've seen many photos of the course on here, but you're photos definitely give a better sense of scale. Thank you.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »

Alex - yes , 9 will get an additional tee at the base of the hill, giving an alternate uphill option to the hole.  The approach will play from north to south.  8 may be softened but that is not confirmed.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
Brent,

How could 8 be softened?  Do you mean the green (back portion in particular), or another part of the hole?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
Our caddie (and Rich) talked about re-doing the green on "Humpback", the uphill 7th hole (par 4, 508 yards). Now, if you don't hit the back of the green, your ball's in danger of rolling back off the front half of the green and down the slope some 50+ yards. It's pretty severe. Mind you, if you know about it (and I did) you should just be more careful with your pitch (or putt), which I wasn't.

Rich commented to me as we walked down the 6th fairway ("Deception Point") that the hole featured his favorite greensite, and I agree completely. That picture (of him in the greenside bunker) could be Scotland for all I know.

I can see myself sitting somewhere up near the 9th tees watching the action at the U.S. Open in a few years. What a view. And what a hole, man it was fun. Rich almost aced it, while my teeshot came to rest on a ridge behind the green. I had an ugly recovery shot, and my wife's caddie, who'd found himself in the same predicament awhile ago, suggested using my hybrid and stroking it 90 degrees to my right (back toward the tee) for about 10 yards and see what happens. Luckily I had the right distance, knocking it almost to his feet, and we all stood and watched it turn another 90 degrees and roll down close to the hole. That was a blast.

I just could not get over the scale of the place. My wife and I drove hard from the interior of British Columbia that morning to make our teetime with Rich and when we pulled up along the upper rim I hopped out and took a 3 photo panorama and just stood there and soaked it all in. The scale, the views, the look, the feel, the playability, all combined to make, in my opinion, an even more enjoyable experience than what we were treated to at Bandon two years ago.

Hopefully Rich will chime in here. He knows w-a-y more about CB than I do.

Jim

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
Very nice Jim! I still wish they'd let a few tree grow in random intrusions on the edge of the course and soften the lines on the outside of the course. The trees on the hill above 7 green soften the transition in that area.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Brent Carlson

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
Brent,

How could 8 be softened?  Do you mean the green (back portion in particular), or another part of the hole?

Mark - I have heard that the kicker hill front left may become less severe; not confirmed.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
I can see myself sitting somewhere up near the 9th tees watching the action at the U.S. Open in a few years. What a view. And what a hole, man it was fun.

You got that right.

Rich almost aced it, ...

He learned that shot from Mark Saltzman.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Johnson

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »
Here's a look at that 7th green...

from a great pictorial on Chambers Bay 2 years ago by Scott Weersing...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39125.0.html

Brent Carlson

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
Here's a look at that 7th green...

from a great pictorial on Chambers Bay 2 years ago by Scott Weersing...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39125.0.html

Upon first playing the hole it seems unfair as most players will not crest the false front.  However, with repeated plays the green is no longer so daunting.  Just take your extra club(s) and give it a go.  The green will actually funnel your ball to the pin in at least three locations.  Because of this I birdie #7 more than any other par 4.  Nevertheless it will be reworked and the average player should find it much more forgiving.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:40 AM »
Another picture of the 6th hole ... great greensite...

And here's a slightly different look at the par-3 9th hole...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »
I hit the ball right off the 4th tee and let me tell you it was bad enough hitting out of one of those bunkers but climbing back up to the fairway was even worse. 

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
Jim,

These are the best photos I've seen yet of Chambers Bay.  As many have said, I can definitely get some sense of the scale of the property with your photos.  It looks like great fun.

Well done!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photographs.  I'm very fond of this golf course and thinking out loud can't help but wonder:  But for the set of one-shot holes is it as good as Old Macdonald?  Ducking now ;)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »

Alex - yes , 9 will get an additional tee at the base of the hill, giving an alternate uphill option to the hole.  The approach will play from north to south.  8 may be softened but that is not confirmed.

Base of the hill? Where is that exactly? Down to the right?

Sean Leary

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photographs.  I'm very fond of this golf course and thinking out loud can't help but wonder:  But for the set of one-shot holes is it as good as Old Macdonald?  Ducking now ;)

Mike

I think 3 would be much better if the tee was lowered so it played slightly uphill. Thoughts? Do that, blow up 7 green, 8 and 9 and start over and it would be a Doak 9 in my book. 

I also wonder whether 1 would be a better hole as a par 5 with the green the way that it is.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »

Mike

I think 3 would be much better if the tee was lowered so it played slightly uphill. Thoughts? Do that, blow up 7 green, 8 and 9 and start over and it would be a Doak 9 in my book. 

I also wonder whether 1 would be a better hole as a par 5 with the green the way that it is.

I get the comments on 8 and 9....

but why mess with #7?  I loved that hole and green. 

Is it a tough mother as a par 4?  Sure..but who cares...I think its good to have a ball buster hole every now and then.

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

Mike

Is it a tough mother as a par 4?  Sure..but who cares...I think its good to have a ball buster hole every now and then.

I would agree except for the club you come into that green with is too low for that green. I have hit it on to the front left part of the green, through it, up the backstop of the hill behind, back onto the green down the false front and have it come back 60 yards off.

If you could come in with a 5 iron or less with a bit of trajectory, it would work better. IMO.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:25 PM »

Mike

I would agree except for the club you come into that green with is too low for that green. I have hit it on to the front left part of the green, through it, up the backstop of the hill behind, back onto the green down the false front and have it come back 60 yards off.

If you could come in with a 5 iron or less with a bit of trajectory, it would work better. IMO.

Well perhaps a cheaper solution would be to put a hidden bunker up there behind the green! Problem solved!  ;D

I get your point....perhaps its just me, but I love quirky shots like that on the golf course....the more of those the better.  And for me being a high capper, I'm likely not sniffing that green in two anyways...so after a layup I am hitting a high lofted club in there!

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »

Mike

Well perhaps a cheaper solution would be to put a hidden bunker up there behind the green! Problem solved!  ;D

I get your point....perhaps its just me, but I love quirky shots like that on the golf course....the more of those the better.  And for me being a high capper, I'm likely not sniffing that green in two anyways...so after a layup I am hitting a high lofted club in there!

I think making the green a little less severe might do the trick...

Brent Carlson

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

Base of the hill? Where is that exactly? Down to the right?

Yes.  Turn right and walk down the path from 8 green.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33:52 PM »
I just could not get over the scale of the place. ...

How does the scale compare to the Links of ND. 1 & 10 there are side by side. How does their scale compare to 1 & 18 at Chambers Bay. Is the overall width much different. LND goes way around back for 17 and 18. Is that not as big a scale as going around the open area for 8 and 9 at Chambers Bay? At Chambers Bay everything is below you from the club house. How does that affect the perception vs. LND where most everything is above you at the club house. It is only in the middle of the course (12 tee?) where you are on top of every thing, but you have to turn 360 degrees to begin to take in the scale.

Thoughts?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete Balzer

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
Played Chambers about 3-4 summers ago, the greens were so slow, not much fun, granted it was the 2nd summer. Played two days, suppose to play 3, went to Gold Mtn for 3rd, had a much better experience. Chambers has a very man made feel, hopefully by now, the greens are at a puttable speed for every day play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back