News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Carlson

Re: Chambers Bay pics
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 02:00:43 AM »
Played Chambers about 3-4 summers ago, the greens were so slow, not much fun, granted it was the 2nd summer. Played two days, suppose to play 3, went to Gold Mtn for 3rd, had a much better experience. Chambers has a very man made feel, hopefully by now, the greens are at a puttable speed for every day play.

Pete,

I have done a complete 180 on the course.  Like you mentioned, a few years a ago I was very down on CB.  But if you can play it now, it is phenomenal, far and away the best course in WA state.  As far as American links go I can only rank it behind Pacific Dunes.  Give it another go.

Jim Johnson

Re: Chambers Bay pics New
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »

How does the scale compare to the Links of ND. 1 & 10 there are side by side. How does their scale compare to 1 & 18 at Chambers Bay.
[/quote]

Here's a photo of the fairway on #10 at LND from a couple of years ago. Compare that to my two photos of #1 and #10 at Chambers Bay. Assuming that the gravel quarry was pretty well scraped clean before the place was turned into a golf course, it's pretty impressive to see those "dunes" at CB.

[/quote]
Is the overall width much different.
[/quote]
In doing research for a new project here at home, CB appears to have 45.4 acres of fairways. LND has approximately 29.5 acres. (If you're curious ... Wild Horse has 48.7 acres, Sand Hills has 42.8, Rustic Canyon has 49.5, Bandon Dunes has 45.0, Pacific Dunes has 42.5, Bandon Trails has 45.9, Kapalua Plantation has 51.9, Blackhawk (Alberta) has 43.2, and Cuscowilla has 40.4... all models, to some degree, of what we're after here at home).

[/quote]
LND goes way around back for 17 and 18. Is that not as big a scale as going around the open area for 8 and 9 at Chambers Bay?
[/quote]

See panoramic series of photos below of CB...

[/quote]
At Chambers Bay everything is below you from the club house. How does that affect the perception vs. LND where most everything is above you at the club house. It is only in the middle of the course (12 tee?) where you are on top of every thing, but you have to turn 360 degrees to begin to take in the scale.
Thoughts?
[/quote]

Being a flat-lander from the Canadian prairies, any elevation change such as that found at CB is one of awe. Just kidding. Well, not really. Things are so flat around here, one can watch his dog run away. For three days. Seriously though, to this guy, the mountains of Banff/Jasper/Glacier are actually awe-inspiring, as is the view of Chambers Bay, from various vantage points on the property.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:50:46 AM by Jim Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back