News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

What makes a course a hidden gem?
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »

?

David Cronheim

Re: What makes a course a hidden gem?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
For me, I think it's pretty simple - finding a course that has quality but not acclaim. So it's top 100 quality, but isn't ranked that way. I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for though, so I'll give it a narrower overview. I consider hidden gems to be:

1. A fantastic layout, but not be conditioned as well as it could be. The course's greatness can be lost because of "rough around the edges" look.

2. A great course overshadowed by its neighbors. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, there are some fantastic RI golf courses that just don't quite get the acclaim of their neighbors. I might also say this is an example like Deal to Sandwich. Sometimes its difficult to compete with a famous neighbor that takes all the credit.

3. Remoteness - sometimes a course is just so hard to get to that it's overlooked.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
I agree with Davids sentiments...except for the top 100 part.

I found a hidden gem in Utah just before I left to move to Spokane.  It will never be anywhere close to top 100 and wouldn't even make top 20 in the state of Utah.

But it was a super fun and quirky course that was off the beaten path, had some interesting shot requirements, wasn't crowded, had terrific views, and was under $30 to play.

This is in my mind is the hidden gem...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »

How about a low green fee?

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »

How about a low green fee?

Anthony

Just makes it a value... you can have a very average course that is a good value... like White Day

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
A good course that is only really known to local golfers but not further a field.

Jon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
If it's good, and Bill McBride hasn't played it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
I have one for this crowd...

Even with the housing if in Lakeland, Florida you should check out Sandpiper GC. Some pretty quirky and dunesy stuff there crammed into about 95 acres. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »

Are there hidden gems south of the border?

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »

Are there hidden gems south of the border?

Anthony

}

If we are still talking about golf then the answer is... not reallly. Maybe a couple fo the old clubs in Guadalajara. Lorena's home track could qualify.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
Bad Marketing

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
To me Brora is the epitome of Hidden Gem...amazing that a lot of tourists make the trek to Dornoch but don't go the extra 30 miles up the coast. What a shame.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
One definition of a hidden gem to me is a course which isn't rated anywhere, but one I would recommend others see as much as I would a big gun.  Examples would be

Cavendish
Beau Desert
Kington
Coxmoor
Pennard
Camberley Heath
Northamptonshire Co
University of Michigan

Sometimes a hidden gem is a course that could never be mistaken for greatness and isn't ranked as such, but is so interesting that I would recommend it.  Examples might be

Lederach
Huntercombe
Harborne
Church Stretton
Strandhill
Yelverton
Perranporth
Painswick (the one outlier that just has to be recommended)

At the end of the day a hidden gem is no different from any other course.  It has to be good enough for me to have time for it - regardless of what others thnk of the course.

Ciao

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:17:09 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Cronheim

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
I've heard great things about Michigan, though after football season starts they park the cars in the rough, effectively killing the course for the rest of the year. C'mon UM, get your priorities straight! haha
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
Agreed except about top 100. A hidden gem is in Howie-In-The-Hills in Florida. The course is called Mission Inn. Quirk, uneven lies, scrappy condition and loads of fund About 45 min from Orlando
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt MacIver

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
Of course the obvious statement that one mans's Top 100 could be another's Hidden Gem.  For example, Black Mesa was not really hidden to me, but the friend I brought thought I was crazy for dragging him out there - until he saw it.  And of course value comes into consideration, as does weather, day of the week and playing partners.  Any course is a Hidden Gem if I 1) pay less than $60 and 2) am playing instead of working. 

Cory Lewis

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
To me a Hidden gem is:

1.  A course I haven't heard of and don't know much about

2.  A course that when I play it, surprises me in a good way.

Thanks to GCA, there really aren't many hidden gems for me anymore.  When I travel to a given area I generally have an idea what to play and can find plenty of info on the courses here on GCA or elsewhere on the net.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
If it's good, and Bill McBride hasn't played it.

That won't work, I've played most of them. 

"Hidden gem" = good course, nobody's ever heard of it. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:17 PM »
To me Brora is the epitome of Hidden Gem...amazing that a lot of tourists make the trek to Dornoch but don't go the extra 30 miles up the coast. What a shame.

Not to mention Golspie!   It's even closer to Dornoch and is terrific. 

Kin Britton

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
I could not agree more.  For the quality of golf, price and experience. it is simply the best course we played in Scotland for the price.  absolutely no way should anyone venture to Dornoch and not make the additional drive north to play Brora...and don't leave out Tain and Golspie.  BTW, where else do you get electric fences around the greens with sheep and cows roaming the course?!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back