News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Pubs and golf courses
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »
We were discussing this harmonious connection - golf courses with pubs accessible as you walk down a fairway or putt out on a green.

Apparently there is a pub called Chequers which no one bothered to point out to me by the 15th green at Deal.  That's a hole and green where a quick one would come in handy.

I think there is a pub behind the 8th green at Painswick.

I'm pretty sure there must have been a pub in that street which is the OB line left of the fourth at Elie.

+++

I love this whole concept.  My favorite golf books are the trilogy, "Letters to a Golf Club Secretary", et seq.  These are from pre-WWII England.  My favorite section is about the club's previous course which was a nine-holer with a circular routing.  When you look at the diagram, you see no less than five pubs, each easily accessible from the course.   The old members still grumble about the relocation to the new course.

Who has other examples?   I'm guessing you could surely include the Jigger Inn at St Andrews!

Are there any in North America, or this another reason to get thee to the UK for a golf trip?   ;D

Frank Pont

Re: Pubs and golf courses
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
There is a supermarket just across the green of the third hole of Haverleij, a Martin Ebert/Steel design in Holland  :)

See at: http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Holland/Haverleij/index.html

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

Mrs. Foreman’s at Mussleburgh is surely the standard bearer.

At Nefyn in North Wales  you play high along a cliff.  About half way round there's a pub well below the course on the beach.

Bill I can't recall why but before my game at Hankley we enjoyed time in the excellent clubhouse. Well we must have finished late or something because afterward we went straight to the rather good pub just outside the course.  That makes two for September?
 ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
The best pub stop I know of off a course is the one at Nefyn.  Burnham has a pub stop off its 16th fairway.  Of course, the most famous is Forman's behind the 4th green at Musselburgh.  Minch Old has a very fine pub/inn next door which is far better than the house for a drink. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:33:51 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
Tony - I'm told the pub at Hankley serves very good food, I'll be able to confirm that on Thursday. Nice way to spend my first evening off since the troubles  :)
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »

And she was a Tennessee Volunteer fan to boot:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:54:36 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
There is a supermarket just across the green of the third hole of Haverleij, a Martin Ebert/Steel design in Holland  :)

See at: http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Holland/Haverleij/index.html

Sorry Frank, we're after a drink, not a sausage!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »

At Nefyn in North Wales  you play high along a cliff.  About half way round there's a pub well below the course on the beach.

Bill I can't recall why but before my game at Hankley we enjoyed time in the excellent clubhouse. Well we must have finished late or something because afterward we went straight to the rather good pub just outside the course.  That makes two for September?
 ;D

Ah yes, the "Duke of Cambridge," looking forward to enjoying a pint there in September!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
One of the two liquor stores/keg suppliers for Dartmouth was located directly across the street from the 10th tee.  It was a perfect place to grab a refresher.  

Andy Stamm

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:55:46 PM »
There a pub or two right next to Lincoln Park in San Francisco, which is a great place for after the round if not exactly ideal for a mid-round tipple.

And there's a great pub of off the 11th tee at Newburgh-Upon-Ythan (or just Newburgh). There's a little bridge across the estuary that takes you right to the pub. And because the bus stop is right next to the pub, we just started at 11 and finished at 10 and used the pub as the house. That back 9 is a smashing 9 holes, too.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:08:40 PM by Andy Stamm »

Kin Britton

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
While there is the Jigger Inn and then the Dunvegan around the corner at the Old Course, the best example is golf at the other end of the spectrum.  We were playing Pine Lakes in Myrtle Beach almost 20 years ago.  Went to get a six pack of beer and they were $3 each...18 years ago.  My buddy said he was about to buy them until he realized it was $72/case on a golf trip where we used to spend about $150 for the weekend.  So at the third hole we hopped the fence and bought a twelve pack and a bag of ice at the Scotsman (ironic huh?) convenience store.  When we walked in wearing spikes,the lady at the counter said she got several groups a week!  Only at the Redneck Riveria!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
While there is the Jigger Inn and then the Dunvegan around the corner at the Old Course, the best example is golf at the other end of the spectrum.  We were playing Pine Lakes in Myrtle Beach almost 20 years ago.  Went to get a six pack of beer and they were $3 each...18 years ago.  My buddy said he was about to buy them until he realized it was $72/case on a golf trip where we used to spend about $150 for the weekend.  So at the third hole we hopped the fence and bought a twelve pack and a bag of ice at the Scotsman (ironic huh?) convenience store.  When we walked in wearing spikes,the lady at the counter said she got several groups a week!  Only at the Redneck Riveria!

LOL, great tale, thanks!   Assuming you were wearing metal spikes, I can just hear the clatter!

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
The best pub stop I know of off a course is the one at Nefyn. 

Ciao

Sean,
Surely now you understand my love for Nefyn? ;D

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »
Bill,

There is indeed a pub on the road that runs alongside the 4th at Elie.  It's called the 19th Hole (rather unimaginatively) and is near the tee.  Very popular place in the evenings amongst the "visitors" (the name used for the annual influx of those who have holiday cottages in the village).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:29:36 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:20 AM »
I wonder if here in the States there is a tavern much closer to the 18th green than McGettigan's near Seaview Bay.  It is less than 100 yards away.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

D_Malley

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
joe,
i would have to say a better example, but in the same south jersey area would be Avalon Golf Club. i have never played there but i am told that there is a pub right next to one of the greens and you can practically drive your cart right up to it. it is called The Country Club Tavern,  i do not think it has a connection to the golf course.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »

Ginger Beer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Anthony, one of the holes at St Andrews Old (the fourth?) is named "Ginger Beer" for a stand that was there  ;D. But it's been gone for eons.  Any current course-side purveyors you are referring to?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
Joe,

McGettigans instantly came to mind for me as well! A great spot with solid food offerings and a warm atmosphere. I really enjoyed our day at the executive course and look forward to this Winter's capers.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back