News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Get in the hole!
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:43 AM »
What can be done to stop the inane shouting of this and other ridiculous outbursts? I'm all for enthusiasm and the eruptions of sincere cheering when someone does something remarkable or the corporate sighs when a ball finds the water or a bunker are part of the remarkable atmosphere of big US tournaments such the PGA we've just witnessed. But the stupidity of a few loudmouths ruin the television coverage and must be unbearable for fellow spectators.

Carl Johnson

Re: Get in the hole!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
Nothing.  Drunks, idiots, the ill-mannered, the clueless, whatever, will always be with us.  That having been said, I suppose the TV commentators could make negative remarks when that sort of noise intrudes -- that is, make fun of or comment on the behavior.  They do that sometimes for really egregious behavior.  However, I doubt they'd take on the occasional "get in the hole" or "you da man" for fear of offending a significant portion of their viewers and being accused of trying to "take the fun out of it."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:04:57 PM by Carl Johnson »

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
What can be done to stop the inane shouting of this and other ridiculous outbursts? I'm all for enthusiasm and the eruptions of sincere cheering when someone does something remarkable or the corporate sighs when a ball finds the water or a bunker are part of the remarkable atmosphere of big US tournaments such the PGA we've just witnessed. But the stupidity of a few loudmouths ruin the television coverage and must be unbearable for fellow spectators.

Mark,
Do you hear such outbursts at Augusta?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:11:52 AM »

Does it happen on the Euro tour?

Anthony

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Just stop selling beer at the toon-a-mints.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »

Although I would prefer not top hear the obvious shouts as well I can`t say that I have ever deemed them "unbearable" or having seen them as "ruining" the television coverage. Seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
The 3:16 guy was back, but I miss the one with the wild wig. 

There should be a bounty on the heads of the shouters. 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »

Wonder if it was the same guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »

Anthony

No, those guys just riot instead.   :o   ;)

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »

This will do wonders for ticket sales....not to mention food and beverage revenue...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »

Anthony

Yes it does, and when the Ryder Cup is in Europe the home support includes idiots too.
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »

No, just show them the door and permanantly revoke their badges.
been working for years at the best run event in sports
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Smolens

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
I would certainly be in favor of several well-placed snipers to take care of the shouting yahoos. They'd only actually need to perform their duties a few times I would think. Perhaps we could use the same guys I'd like to install on the interstate to shoot gapers at traffic stops and accidents. I reach the same level of frustration driving down the highway at 5 mph to discover that the reason traffic is crawling is because some poor schlub is getting a ticket. I'd love to shoot every guy/gal who drove by and decided to rubberneck. . .

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse than "You da man" or "Get in the hole" chants.

Its at least a partial victory that the shout out have not become more viscious.

But forget the shout-outs...I'm wondering how we can ban the "ole, ole, ole song" from Ryder Cup events...talk about your annoying!!  ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »

" War Eagle"
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »

Wonder if it was the same guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart

Didn't look like him, pig face instead of fox face.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »

Jeff,

I agree.

Just print a code of conduct mandate on the back of the ticket and that the purchaser agrees to abide by all rules within the code and that violation means immediate ejection and loss of future access.

The language is easy to find, just look at any application to a USGA event and the "terms and conditions" you have to agree to to enter.

While the alcohol loosens the liquor muscles, once one guy is ejected, everyone else will get the message.

Unfortunately, I think the press whipped up Ryder Cup fans on both sides to the degree that the event has become unsportsman like.

The booing and cheering is not in the tradition of the game. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

The threat of permanent expulsion is much, much greater at the Masters than any other one off tournament.   The troublemakers at the one off events are much less likely to be acquainted with the etiquette of patrons. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

The threat of permanent expulsion is much, much greater at the Masters than any other one off tournament.   The troublemakers at the one off events are much less likely to be acquainted with the etiquette of patrons. 

show  'em the door,
the rest will get acquainted quickly.

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
wonder if someone with a bet on the action has ever tried to interfere?

SL_Solow

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
Not that it is important but Rollen Stewart (the rainbow wig guy) is doing 3 consecutive life terms for kidnapping. 

Will Peterson

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 12:04:39 AM »
About a month ago a single came up behind the foursome I was playing in.  We were on the green of a par 3, and waved him up.  As we all stood on the side of the green, he hit his shot.  Just after impact, he shouted "get in the hole."  We watched as the ball sailed 20 yards right of the pin and land in a bunker.  He proceeded to skull his next shot into the water, and then walk to his cart and head for the next tee.  We all did our best to not burst out laughing while he was still within ear shot. 

Luckily it is the only instance I've seen of a person shouting for his own ball to "get in the hole."

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »
Embarrassingly, I can distinctly remember calling 'Get in the hole!' after one of my own putts during a social round only a couple of weeks ago...

...I was playing with Mark Rowlinson! :-[

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »
I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse than "You da man" or "Get in the hole" chants.

Its at least a partial victory that the shout out have not become more viscious.

But forget the shout-outs...I'm wondering how we can ban the "ole, ole, ole song" from Ryder Cup events...talk about your annoying!!  ;)

You stop that song by the US winning. Good luck.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Smolens

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
I often find myself saying "go in" to one of my many putts. . . of course, when I say it the putt's usually 3' right and 2' long. :'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back