News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Traverse City area
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
The wonders of Northern Michigan golf await.

My better-half and I are heading up to the Traverse City for a long, four-day Labor Day weekend, and I’m busy making plans to play in the surrounding area.  

Unfortunately, 36 holes/day aren’t in the cards. Instead, the more likely equation is 1 round/day, with Forest Dunes and Arcadia already on the itinerary.

I’m seeking recommendations for two additional courses within a 70 mile radius of TC.  There’s no shortage of choices, but current thoughts include Belevedere in Charlevoix and Doak’s Black Forest in Gaylord. (The last time in town, we played True North and Bay Harbor.)

Also, among the private courses, is it difficult to get onto Kingsley? Word has it that it helps if one's not a Spartan.

Mark,
They've been known to allow the odd guest.  As long as you're not wearing green&white, a sandbagger or dissing the guy who keeps the finest playing surface this side of GB&I you should be good.

Many thanks for your insight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:33:14 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JC Jones

Re: Traverse City area
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
I would recommend, in the following order, these courses:

Kingsley Club
Crystal Downs
Forest Dunes
Belvedere
Arcadia Bluffs

The first two are private and invitations are not to be turned down.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
I found the folks at the Kingsley Club to be most accommodating in 2007, not sure about now.

Crystal Downs is a different story, very private but wonderful to you once you're on the property.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »
Howard:

Labor Day weekend would be a pretty difficult time to gain access to Crystal Downs, Kingsley [I think] or even Belvedere.  It's one of our busiest weekends for golf.

If you are in TC, I'd suggest Lochenheath as one of your two other choices.  It's close by, as opposed to Forest Dunes which is more than an hour each way, or Black Forest which is also a pretty long day.  There are a couple of holes I thought were over the top, but if you factor in the drive and take out the private courses, it would make my top four.  Not sure what the fourth would be, honestly ... with the amount of golf I get to play around home in the summers, I usually don't go very far down the depth chart.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Of course High Pointe would have made the list and would have come in somewhere around Forest Dunes, probably tied for 3rd.

I've not played Lochenheath so if you do, please report back.

I'll echo the captain's comments, both Kingsley Club and Crystal Downs are wonderful places with wonderful members and staff.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
I could play Belvedere every day.  Don't short change it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
Mike:

I certainly did NOT intend to short change Belvedere.  I wish it were closer to my house, instead of just as far as the Downs.

However, Labor Day weekend is probably the last time they want to see outsiders.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »
Mike:

I certainly did NOT intend to short change Belvedere.  I wish it were closer to my house, instead of just as far as the Downs.

However, Labor Day weekend is probably the last time they want to see outsiders.
Nor did I mean for it to sound as if you did.  I saw where JC had it below Forest Dunes.  Forest Dunes is nice but I put Belvedere above it  JMO.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
Mike,

I doubt fewer people have as much love for Belvedere as I do (outside of the membership).  I play it several times every summer; I could play it hundreds more times and still love the place. 

I happen to think Forest Dunes is that good.  Though if Belvedere would ever restore the course to the way it is in the 1938 aerial it could be ridiculously good.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
Mike,

I doubt fewer people have as much love for Belvedere as I do (outside of the membership).  I play it several times every summer; I could play it hundreds more times and still love the place. 

I happen to think Forest Dunes is that good.  Though if Belvedere would ever restore the course to the way it is in the 1938 aerial it could be ridiculously good.

OK...no problem here...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:54:43 PM »
JC, Bill, Tom, Mike -

Many thanks for the suggestions on the courses in and around (a big radius) the TC area. 

I booked a tee time at Belvedere and, as you surmised, they certainly are in short supply for the busy Labor Day weekend.  I'll also give a look at Lochenheath per Tom's recommendation. 

It's just too bad that I didn't visit High Pointe the last time I was in town.  My loss.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim Thompson

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »
Lochenheath 2 thumbs up!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
Thanks, Jim, and the others, who recommended LochenHeath.  Hope to swing over there toward the end of the trip.  I'll be sure to report back. 

It's certainly troubling to see the toll the economy is having on courses in N. Michigan: Closures (High Pointe), private-to-public (LochenHeath), for sale signs/auctions (Forest Dunes, Otsego, Black Forest).  Any other examples?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Is Arcadia Bluffs "walkable"?  I've heard differing opinions and the Walking Golfer website lists it as "tough to walk" (http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/walkability_ratings_mi.html).

If it is walkable, do you advise taking a caddie? I understand that "local knowledge" is particularly helpful on the course. Any specific caddie you remember by name that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Everything to this crowd is "walkable."

Follow Mr. Cronan's advice, you'll enjoy the Chicago Hot Dog and beer on #7 a whole lot more if you're riding.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »
Unless you have a pretty strong history of Sherpa's littering your peronsal family tree, I'd either hop on a cart or get a caddie....

Best laugh I've had in a while. Thanks, David. I confimed with my mother: No relation to Tenzing Norgay and his ilk in the family. Cart it is.

Follow Mr. Cronan's advice, you'll enjoy the Chicago Hot Dog and beer on #7 a whole lot more if you're riding.

Sage advice, JC.  I've never been one to turn down a good dog or brat at the turn -- or now, #7.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
Is Arcadia Bluffs "walkable"?  I've heard differing opinions and the Walking Golfer website lists it as "tough to walk" (http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/walkability_ratings_mi.html).

If it is walkable, do you advise taking a caddie? I understand that "local knowledge" is particularly helpful on the course. Any specific caddie you remember by name that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

I've played it once and we took caddies.  It's defintely walkable with a caddie.  Would have been a tough walk without, but probably doable.  Can't remember the kid's name.  My caddie left my 56 degree wedge on the range.  We realized it when I went to pull it on the first hole.  We didn't get it back until the fourth.  On the third hole, I had a shot that called for it, and was forced to go with the 52 degree instead.  Hit it to about 8 inches.  Smart caddie!

Ken Fry

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
Ironic all the times I've played at Arcadia Bluffs, I've never SEEN a caddie on the course!

While I'm one of those that tries to walk whenever possible, take a cart at Arcadia.  The GPS system on all the carts will steer you where you need to go with relevant yardages listed.  Based on my initial statement, I'm not knocking any of the local kids who may caddie there, but some of the walks from green to next tee are challenging regardless if you're carrying a bag!

Ken

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
My wife and I walked Arcadia last week with caddies - Kyle and Danny, both of whom were good.

The hills aren't really an issue, unless you are really spraying it and have to climb up into the junk. But some of the green to tee distances can be a bit much.

I personally prefer the walking experience over carts. Better feeling of connection to the course, and a better experience given the normally abysmal pace of play...a slow walk is better than quick rides and long waits.

As an aside, we also were the only group to finish our round that morning. A thick fog rolled in around the 13th hole, and all cart golfers were called off the course. The caddies were invaluable in lining up drives and approaches, and the fog and mist made for a quite interesting round.

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:53 AM »

JC

I too have wondered about what walkable is?  I sure am much fussier about the concept of walkable than mnay on here.  One of the key principles of walkable should be time between greens and tees not being much different in a cart compared to walking.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »
Howard, if you normally walk, you will really enjoy a walking round at Arcadia.

A buddy and I walked 36 holes with an enjoyable lunch on the deck overlooking the lake between the rounds...then we headed to the Blue Slipper Bistro in nearby Onekama for a terrific dinner.

Riding in a cart and drinking beer doesn't sound like as much fun...I guess everyone has their own definition of golf.

Nice!  We have a Melvyn protoge!

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
I've never seen a caddy on the course and I never will...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Pritchett

Re: Traverse City area New
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
Howard, if you normally walk, you will really enjoy a walking round at Arcadia.

A buddy and I walked 36 holes with an enjoyable lunch on the deck overlooking the lake between the rounds...then we headed to the Blue Slipper Bistro in nearby Onekama for a terrific dinner.

Riding in a cart and drinking beer doesn't sound like as much fun...I guess everyone has their own definition of golf.

You walked 36 at Arcadia, in a day? That's incredible. What did you guys do after dinner at the Blue Supper Bistro? Head into Traverse City and leap the Park Place Hotel in a single bound?

I thought you were impressed they played 36 in spite of rounds there taking so long to complete.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:48:40 AM by Mark Pritchett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back