News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Every hole should be memorable
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
You start a thread and cite a specific course as an example yet cannot provide anything about a specific hole? Come on Anthony.

I think Diamante might be the perfect course to refute your theory rather than support it.

The overall feel, scale and experience override the remembrance of each singlular hole. That said there are several holes that even those with a poor memory will have forever etched in their mind.

I think the first hole at Diamante is memorable. The green is tucked to the left and it peeks the golfers interest to what lies beyond the dune behind the green. Its not an awesome hole but I remembered it after the round.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
You start a thread and cite a specific course as an example yet cannot provide anything about a specific hole? Come on Anthony.

I think Diamante might be the perfect course to refute your theory rather than support it.

The overall feel, scale and experience override the remembrance of each singlular hole. That said there are several holes that even those with a poor memory will have forever etched in their mind.

I think the first hole at Diamante is memorable. The green is tucked to the left and it peeks the golfers interest to what lies beyond the dune behind the green. Its not an awesome hole but I remembered it after the round.

Anthony

What about 18? Careful with your answer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »

Anthony

I definatly remember OB on the left. There is risk/reward challenging the left side for a shorter approach. Some would remember the walk up that hill to after a round in the hot sun.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
With me there is a definite correlation between my memory of each hole and my perception of the quality of that course.

I'm not saying that each hole must be "memorable," just that I should be able to clearly remember the holes and the routing.  The better the better, so to speak.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »

Anthony

I definatly remember OB on the left. There is risk/reward challenging the left side for a shorter approach. Some would remember the walk up that hill to after a round in the hot sun.

Anthony

WAIT! When did you play the hole... we quit on 17 as I recall???????

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »

Anthony

Anthony

I found my way around Cabo. I don't know the names of all the places I went,but I do remember Diamante hole by hole,a nice ride back to my hotel,West Virginia going to the final four and befriending the cartel guys. I wish it was safe to return.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »

Anthony

Anthony

I found my way around Cabo. I don't know the names of all the places I went,but I do remember Diamante hole by hole,a nice ride back to my hotel,West Virginia going to the final four and befriending the cartel guys. I wish it was safe to return.

Anthony

My friend... we did not play all 18 holes????????

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

Anthony

Anthony

Anthony

You weren't with me my whole trip.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

Anthony

Anthony

Anthony

You weren't with me my whole trip.

Why you slimy little, tooth pullin, taxi cab ridin, pink kitty lovin... son of a gun.

jim_lewis

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
I think it is important not to equate memorable with quality. I can think of many courses where the holes that I remember most vividly were the worse holes on the course. In fact, the course that I consider the worse I have ever played is loaded with memorable, but bad, holes. On the other hand, it took multiple plays before I could recall every hole in order at TOC, #2, and even the first few holes of Pebble Beach.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:54:31 PM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

paul cowley

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
Personally I like step child holes as long as they are of good lineage!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »

What does this mean?

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »

What does this mean?

Anthony

It means you and Paul would be fast friends!

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
Anthony - during the construction process there are always favored holes that I feel confident about building, and others that I am not as confident about...and I refer to them as stepchildren...or a stepchild hole as in the singular.

Many times these holes advance and become the best of the rest...or become linkage...but hopefully of good lineage.

Make any sense?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »
Anthony - during the construction process there are always favored holes that I feel confident about building, and others that I am not as confident about...and I refer to them as stepchildren...or a stepchild hole as in the singular.

Many times these holes advance and become the best of the rest...or become linkage...but hopefully of good lineage.

Make any sense?

Sure does. It took guts to build 17. It is one of my favorite holes in the world. Don't count on Greg for transportation while in Cabo.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »

Make any sense?

Sure does. It took guts to build 17. It is one of my favorite holes in the world. Don't count on Greg for transportation while in Cabo.

Anthony

Some of us have jobs... for now!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
Some holes are indeed completely unforgettable....even when I try to forget them, they won't go away.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
Some holes are indeed completely unforgettable....even when I try to forget them, they won't go away.

FUnny, actually looks like they could have had a decent hole there assuming the low is not a drainage problem/flood risk

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
Greg,

Its one of the damndest things I've ever seen on a golf course.  Why they built the 3 foot wood retaining wall...at considerable expense I'm guessing.... is beyond me.  There are other in ground bunkers on the hole playing right beside it that are just out of view in this picture.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Greg,

Its one of the damndest things I've ever seen on a golf course.  Why they built the 3 foot wood retaining wall...at considerable expense I'm guessing.... is beyond me.  There are other in ground bunkers on the hole playing right beside it that are just out of view in this picture.

Where is that?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
Greg,

Where is that?

Its a course in the mountains above Salt Lake City called Mountain Dell. Its got some fun quirk to be found on the course, but certainly that's the oddest bit of it.

Its got a neat "bite off as much as you can chew hole" two holes before that one.  A pic of the drive from the tee:

paul cowley

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »

Make any sense?

Anthony

#17 was originally a par 4, before we snuck out and built #16....while we were there we decided to go a little further and build a tee or two to make 17 a par 5...17 has always been a stepchild that grew in status and I am glad you appreciate the effort!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

Make any sense?

Anthony

#17 was originally a par 4, before we snuck out and built #16....while we were there we decided to go a little further and build a tee or two to make 17 a par 5...17 has always been a stepchild that grew in status and I am glad you appreciate the effort!

In fariness Paul the only thing Doc Gray recalls is the sweetie serving the Diamante water.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back