News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Atlanta Athletic Club and Golf, Winners This Week
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »
I don't know what the week says for tournament golf.  
I will say the staff at ACC had it in great shape.  You certainly can't take anything from the players.  BUT I wetn out there today and it was the coolest temps of the week.  After about an hour out there it is just plain hot....I think thst has more to do with small galleries than any other factor.  I was lucky because John Deere had a sky box but if you had to be in that heat for the day you lose your desire to watch golf quickly....that's not an architecture problem, maintnenace problem or player problem.  That's a scheduling problem.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »
Terry, I'm guessing the ratings will be terrible. Nuff said

"Nuff said".  What are you talking about?  

So, as someone who watched the tournament...you want high ratings over a good golf tournament.  Like I mentioned previously in this thread, we can't control what stupid people do.  

If people want to watch Tiger and Phil and this is it...too bad for them.  As someone who enjoys golf, that tournament was damn good.

Nuff said.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Terry, I'm guessing the ratings will be terrible. Nuff said

"Nuff said".  What are you talking about?  

So, as someone who watched the tournament...you want high ratings over a good golf tournament.  Like I mentioned previously in this thread, we can't control what stupid people do.  

If people want to watch Tiger and Phil and this is it...too bad for them.  As someone who enjoys golf, that tournament was damn good.

Nuff said.

Mac,
That was great golf.
Much better than a Tiger rating fest would've been.

Anyone who starts golf after being inspired by that is worth keeping in the game
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
Terry, I asked the same question reference if some of these fellows have the one-hit karma or a bright shiny future.  Obviously, we don't know.  But, I'm sure it is good for golf channel analysts to declare Keegan the next decade superstar, for a couple majors to come, regardless of how he actually does.  

I will say that I liked Keegan's demeanor, and the camera work on his eyes and focus out there gave some reason to believe this young man is very good and has something very competitive and athletically defining as a winner about him.

I really think the course was up to the task of providing a proper venue and the archie and set-up accomplished its job.  My earlier idea of if it gave a chance to experienced old vets who still can make the shots, or just a series of tricked up holes that are so over the top, that favors youthful enthusiasm and not enough experience to be effected or flustered, seemed mostly answered, in my mind. The old vets had their chances and I didn't see them being unduly punished by the course difficulty or tricked up aspects.  They had their chance, fairly, IMHO.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Shimp

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
There may be crashes at the ocean course but they will be totAlly different than this.The usga lost shinnecocks conditions in 04. You think aac and shinnecock are similar quAlity courses and are equally interesting major venues? Id argue that shinnecock and pinehurst and pebble require much more creativity and shot making thAn aac.  I thought the finish of the golf tournMent was exciting. I like Bradley a lot.  I really like what aac could do for firmer Playing conditions in the deeP due to it's superb turf.

Alex Miller

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
Winners this week: The Grounds staff, Keegan Bradley

PThomas

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
the two playoff participants were 1 and 2 in GIRs, so maybe good ballstriking was rewarded
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Lott

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
"This [attendance] is a scheduling problem."

Indeed. Brutal heat, but of course it's usually brutal heat in the south in August. So unless they stay north and west there is not much they can do.

Bradley got a gift but his bounce back from triple bogey was very impressive.

Pedigree.
David Lott

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Anyway, what's with the crepe myrtle / garden on the promontory? Maybe that's a winner this week: golf course miniature tea gardens.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
Walking into a Visitation, wouldn't be surprised to see the future of golf in the casket.

That's so funny you feel that way. Watching with my son, who's 17, we both loved the fact that it was a really thrilling finish and that there was new blood. I personally am thrilled we don't need Tiger to have an exciting tournament. I don't love the architecture, but it delivered the fireworks.

Mike_Young

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »
"This [attendance] is a scheduling problem."

Indeed. Brutal heat, but of course it's usually brutal heat in the south in August. So unless they stay north and west there is not much they can do.

Bradley got a gift but his bounce back from triple bogey was very impressive.

Pedigree.

That's right.  Stay North if you need a major in August.  Galleries will not come out in Atlanta in this type weather.  They don't PLAY golf either during this weather.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Greg Clark

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »
To me the big winner of the week was Champion Bermuda.  The green surfaces were firm, and could be maintained at major championship speeds without endangering the grass.  Majors can be effecitively contested on bermuda greens.  That to me was a large point driven home this week.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:53:59 PM by Greg Clark »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
1. The heat was average or below what we have been experiencing in ATL since mid-May.  Very decent weather, actually.

2. It seems that the only people here that are especially critical of the course are those who have never seen it in person.  They have voiced criticisms that I have never heard from members or anybody else that has played the course.  This is typical of this website, unfortunately.

3. If Keegan Bradley goes on and has a great career, and he well might, this tournament will be looked at in a very different light by some that are criticizing the quality of the leaderboard right now.

4. During Tiger's period of ALWAYS contending in majors, many here (and other places) claimed that his records were diminished at least somewhat because there were so few other players who could step up and win majors.  Now that Tiger is (at least for now) not contending, EVERY major is being won by a different player, which just goes to show the depth of competition in today's game.  It makes it all the more obvious how truly dominant Woods was.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
To me the big winner of the week was Champion Bermuda.  The greens surfaces were firm, and could be maintained at major championship speeds without endangering the grass.  Majors can be effecitively contested on bermuda greens.  That to me was a large point driven home this week.

Undeniably true.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PThomas

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
2. It seems that the only people here that are especially critical of the course are those who have never seen it in person.  They have voiced criticisms that I have never heard from members or anybody else that has played the course.  This is typical of this website, unfortunately.

so very true ...great point AG
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

noonan

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
More than 3 water hazards on any course is a waste...too much water

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:18 PM »

But it looked like a great place to raise Koy. :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »

What if the course is on the water?

Chris Shaida

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »

but it wasn't

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »

but it wasn't

Were any of those creeks there before the course? Besides, he said any course.

Mike Benham

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 12:00:20 AM »

Winner:  Dean Stokes - Started two threads today about the PGA, and another on Friday.

Loser:  Dean Stokes - A guy with a belly putter won !!!
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
Before all the whiners start another thread about AAC being a goat ranch and a course not even worth seeing I think a few things need to be said. AAC did it's job, it gave us a great PGA that was compelling to watch. We saw some wonderful golf with a very different group of players, I think the game of golf is better for it. Tonight we can go to bed not talking about Tigers struggles but instead we can think about a great PGA.

Thanks AAC, you and golf were great winners this week.

Funny you should mention goat ranch here. You could have a great PGA that was compelling to watch at a goat ranch. So what job did AAC do? When did the course become animate and start working? Several times a year there are playoffs at tour events. Did those courses work hard at providing us that entertainment too?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sam Morrow

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »
Before all the whiners start another thread about AAC being a goat ranch and a course not even worth seeing I think a few things need to be said. AAC did it's job, it gave us a great PGA that was compelling to watch. We saw some wonderful golf with a very different group of players, I think the game of golf is better for it. Tonight we can go to bed not talking about Tigers struggles but instead we can think about a great PGA.

Thanks AAC, you and golf were great winners this week.

Funny you should mention goat ranch here. You could have a great PGA that was compelling to watch at a goat ranch. So what job did AAC do? When did the course become animate and start working? Several times a year there are playoffs at tour events. Did those courses work hard at providing us that entertainment too?

Garland, I love good architecture. Not every course can be great. I love something more than great architecture though, do you know what that is? I love great, compelling golf.  I think this might be one of those examples of when people need to step back from their little rooms where they type on their computers and have posters of Doak and Hanse on the wall. Enjoy golf guys, just take a minute to enjoy it, then some of you guys might be less bitter.

Either that or get laid, whatever works for you.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
Good Sam,

Take a break! ;D

Unless of course you are getting paid for the promos. ;D

PS

I'll take a break too, and go back to reading Just Call me Mac
But, I doubt Mac would approve of AAC either. ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:18:39 AM by Garland Bayley »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
Good Sam,

Take a break! ;D

Unless of course you are getting paid for the promos. ;D

What promo?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back