News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

The best "skyline" green I've seen in ages is at
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
Arcola Country Club.

For over twenty years I'd been lobbying several friends at Arcola to cut down the trees behind the 4th green in order to creat a skyline green.

Fortunately, Ron Prichard was retained by Arcola and now you have one of the all time great "skylilne" greens in golf.

What's great about the hole is the following.

As you ascend from the 3rd green to the 4th tee and look at the hole ahead of you, the view is dramatic.

The hole, a par 4 uphill, is cut out of a ridge at its midpoint.
It looks like you're shooting a canyon.

From the tee, you look up the fairway, between the two rising ridges that are bisected by the fairway, you look up, all the way up and see a FLAGSTICK against nothing but blue skies.  It's an incredible look.

After hitting your drive and preparing for your second, you again see a flagstick at the top of the hill, against nothing but blue skies.

The added benefit of clearing the trees is that the prevailing winds from the west have substantially more influence over the shots, approach and recovery.

The green is pitched, high back to lower front and bunkered at the front flanks.

Once up on the green, the view to the west is quite stunning.

This hole went from a slightly quirky hole to a spectacular hole.

I ran into Bill Brightly when I was playing there.
Perhaps he can post pictures, hopefully, pre and post, so that you can see the incredibly dramatic transition.

The hole strikes fear into the golfer, mostly the first time golfer, because you have no idea as to what lies beyond the green.
While there's ample room long, even knowing that doesn't remove the fear factor.
And, should you go long, recovering to that green which would now slope away from you, is very difficult.

Bill, if you're out there, please post some pictures.
One day I'm going to learn how to do that, but, until I do, you'll have to help me on this.

What a great hole to play, day in and day out.

Joe Bausch

Re: The best "skyline" green I've seen in ages is at
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Somebody post some pics!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
Where is Arcola?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:26:44 AM »
Looks like it's right next to Ridgewood. No luck in finding pictures of note, yet.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
Arcola is in Paramus, NJ.

I was scheduled to play Sleepy Hollow this month, I believe their 5th hole, a par 4, had great potential to be a "skyline" green.

When I was there a few years ago I mentioned to George Bahto that the hole would make a perfect skyline green if the trees behind it were removed.

Has anyone seen it lately ?

Is it a skyline green.

The really great thing about Arcola's skyline green is that it's visible as you're walking to the tee.
It's an awesome architectural feature/sight, from start to finish.

Bill Brightly, where are you when we need you ?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
I played Sleepy Hollow last week and the 4th does indeed have a skyline green. No photos, but I don't remember all the trees that are visible in Ran's report. Great hole... and, great course.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
Michael,

I'm pretty sure it's the 5th hole, not the 4th hole, which runs in the opposite direction.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
I'll take a few photos tomorrow and post them, the course is 2 miles from my office. I'll say this: I have been playing Arcola for 35 years. had heard about the changes to the 4th hole, and still did a double take when I saw it for the first time last Friday. It is that cool.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »
Bill,

Thanks.

I had the same reaction.
While I knew it would be a great "skyline" green, seeing it friday, against that beautiful blue sky was quite stunning.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow,  so why not wait until a sunny day comes along.

If you could take a photo from the tee, one from the DZ and another from just short, that would be great.

Then, a picture from the green looking West, and another from the green looking back to the tee, that would be fantastic.

It's a terrific hole and the wind makes the approach dicey.
The drive is also affected, but, not as much.

Thanks

Brad LeClair

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
Here is a photo of the 5th at Sleepy Hollow from earlier this spring.  Comparing my visit to Ran's tour a few years back it seems they have continued with the tree removal.  The course looks great and #5 was a fantastic skyline green!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »
Incredible view at Sleepy Hollow...but the mowing patterns are also awesome! Is that new or have they always had the fairways run into the hazards? I KNOW Pat has to love that!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Bill,

I"m a big fan of mowing fairways right up to bunkers and eliminating buffer rough.

While it costs more and takes more TLC, I think the effort and expense is worth it when courses ar designed to integrate those features/maintainance practices.

That is an awesome photo, and to the fellow in the low point in the fairway, the approach shot is to a good skyline green.

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
Here is a photo of the 5th at Sleepy Hollow from earlier this spring.  Comparing my visit to Ran's tour a few years back it seems they have continued with the tree removal.  The course looks great and #5 was a fantastic skyline green!

This is one very attractive golf hole. Is Sleepy Hollow as good a golf course as this photo depicts?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
Sleepy Hollow is a really good course, especially after the work to convert the Tilly holes into Macdonald holes, IMO.  Here are a few other photos while we wait for the weather to clear and I can post pics from Arcola!

The Short

Principal's Nose
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:26:14 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tim Liddy

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
National Golf Links #18

Brad LeClair

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
May i submit the Knoll, #10 at Fisher's Island.  I guess several at Fisher's could be considered skyline greens.  #3, maybe #7, #9, #10.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

This is one very attractive golf hole. Is Sleepy Hollow as good a golf course as this photo depicts?

yes

Holy crap that looks good-I've got to get back there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
Jeff,

It looks far, far, far better from down in the fairway hollow.

But, I must say, as good as it looks, Arcola's skyline green surpasses it because Arcola's skyline green appears as such from the walk from the 3rd green, the tee, the DZ and recovery areas short.

Although, SH's view from the green may be more picturesque.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Jeff,

It looks far, far, far better from down in the fairway hollow.

But, I must say, as good as it looks, Arcola's skyline green surpasses it because Arcola's skyline green appears as such from the walk from the 3rd green, the tee, the DZ and recovery areas short.

Although, SH's view from the green may be more picturesque.

Patrick,
no doubt.
i actually thought of that.
Love that hole (great proximity to the 1/2 way...ummm...1/4 way house as well) ;D
I worked there prior to the Reestoration in the 90's.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
Those are some phenomenal photos of Seth Raynor greens!

But my vote for the best skyline green is #13 at Franklin Hills. It is the most beguiling hole you may ever play.

#16 at Holston Hills would equal any skyline green if they cut trees down behind it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »

Brad,

That's a good one, but if I am any good at taking a picture... I think you agree Arcola's is better :)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Well I thought it cleared up enough to take a few photos, but I don't like the way they came out. So while you wait for that, here is a photo of the hole after the skyline green :

And if you shift your gaze slightly to the right, you get this view (including a glimpse of the new Freedom Tower)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:51:11 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
Guys-Those are some great photos with my favorite being the "Short" at Sleepy Hollow.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »
The 15th on MPCC's Shore.

I think Kyle Henderson had some photos of it on GCA some months ago. On second thoughts it could have been Tim Bert.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Bob,

I found a couple of pics from a prior thread..

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:44:25 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back