News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Pebble Beach vs Newport Country Club
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
This summer, I was lucky enough to cross two courses off my "hope to play someday" list.

In the spring, I was absolutely blown away by Pebble Beach. Everything about it exceeded my expectations. Because of heavy rain prior to my visit, the course didn't play quite the way I expected. It was so soft that it was impossible to land an approach short and have it run onto the green. Everything else about it ... the scale, the setting, the tiny greens ... far surpassed my expectations.

Yesterday, I got a chance to play Newport Country Club. It was an overcast day, 20 mph winds, humid ... a perfect setup for this seaside course. It too absolutely blew me away. From the opening hole to the climb up the 18th, I wasn't disappointed by a single hole or shot out there. With sprinklers located only at tee boxes and greens, the fairways were rock hard. On a downwind 540-yard par 5, I had an 8 iron for my second shot from 190 and rolled it up to the middle of the green. As was discussed on  a previous thread, most holes are either directly into or directly with the prevailing wind. Very few shots were affected by crosswind. Greens were in great shape but not overly fast, which was important given the strong winds.

Between the two, I would say that Pebble is obviously more jaw-droppingly dramatic. But if I were picking one course to play every day, it would be Newport without hesitation. I wish I had photos to share of Newport, but I wasn't comfortable busting out a camera as a guest. Sorry.

Andy Stamm

Re: Pebble Beach vs Newport Country Club
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
Glad to hear that you crossed a couple of courses off you list. I've been to Pebble and while much of the course is fantastic, the houses, cart paths, and other development just don't do it for me. Which is why I've always been so enamored of Newport. I think the irrigation policy is fantastic. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it, and I enjoyed reading your feedback.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »
On a downwind 540-yard par 5, I had an 8 iron for my second shot from 190 and rolled it up to the middle of the green.

Between the two, I would say that Pebble is obviously more jaw-droppingly dramatic. But if I were picking one course to play every day, it would be Newport without hesitation. I wish I had photos to share of Newport, but I wasn't comfortable busting out a camera as a guest. Sorry.

I love shots like the above. Those, to me, are more golf than 98% of the stuff out there. I remember my first time experiencing it - at a completely baked out mom and pop course north of the Burgh. I guess on a 7 iron from 200 and it flew a good way, then bounced and rolled the rest, right up onto the green.

You're in good company citing NCC as a dream every day course. I believe none other than Pat Mucci (he of the technicolor interrogations :)) has said NGLA and Newport are the two courses he could play every day and be very happy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
Newport really is a special place. From the simplicity of how you order food to the 2nd floor mens' room urinal that has one of the greatest views on the planet (I remember a discussion on here years ago about Merion having the best showers ever ... well, Newport CC has an unbeatable pisser view).

I've never played a course with fairways as hard as Newport's. And it was immediately obvious why the pros prefer soft and green. While it certainly makes you feel more masculine to hit your drive 350 than to fly it 270 and plug, it's way less awesome when it rolls out to 350 and then on the last hop disappears into a hazard. Knowing the ball isn't going to stop anywhere close to where it lands gets you thinking 2 and 3 steps ahead. It adds so much texture and nuance to the game. I loved it.

RDecker

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
Several years ago I had the honor of playing NCC on a windy november morning and had the course all to myself.  with out question
the highlight of my golfing experience yet.  I've played NGLA, WFwest and several other top 100 tracks but Newport is my absolute favorite.  Firm fast and simple straight forward golf, loved every inch of the place, even the cool parking lot.

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »
I too have played Newport and consider it almost the ideal Country Club.  I particularly love that there is no fairway irrigation out there.  Mother nature dictates the course conditions.

I've got some pics stored on a disc somewhere and I'll try to get them posted soon.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
I believe that the 5th hole at Newport is one of the greatest architecturally strategic holes in golf.

It's simply brilliant.

Both courses are terrific, unique in their own way.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Honestly, I don't recall a single weak hole on the course. The 1st is a terrific open: A big fairway but, at least when I played, a hard target when facing a stiff wind off the water. I loved the long, long par 3 4th. The 5th was great and was where I finally shook off the nerves and started playing like I actually knew what I was doing. Standing on the 9th tee reminded me of the way the 18th at Shinnecock snakes up the hill. The driveable par 4 at 12, the back-to-back (and very, very different) par 3s at 13 and 14, a great par 4 at 17, and then the crazy green at 18. The whole place is quite an experience.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »
Dan,

You must be a big hitter, the LLama, # 12 driveable ?

# 11 maybe. ;D

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
Haha ... definitely NOT the Llama, although I did hit some prodigious drives on those asphalt fairways ... especially downwind. But yes, I meant to say the 11th. Got carried away in my excitement as I sat here reliving my round in my head.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
I'd take Newport CC over Pebble 8 rounds to 2 in the standard "10 rounds breakdown" and yes I mean it.  I love the views at Pebble, but think that Newport CC is the ultimate mix of fun and challenging.  The direction of the wind can change the personality of that golf course as much as any I have encountered (I'm sure this is a standard statement for our friends in the UK when discussing any links course).  Mr. Mucci and I have discussed the 5th hole in previous threads-I've played three rounds at NCC this year and after 3 solid and similar drives on number 5 I have had a 3 hybrid, 6 iron and pitching wedge into the green with my approach shot.

I have one complaint with the current status of NCC and that is the fairway corridors being too narrow.  I played Newport for the first time in 2003 and while I can't recall the exact width of the fairways, I know it was wider than today.  With firm and fast conditions, I felt the setup and conditions complimented each other perfectly back in '03.  In the lead up to the US Women's Open in '06, they began to narrow the fairways-a practice that continues today and can clearly be seen on the 7th tee-with a good 20 yards of rough on the right side of drive zone that has been fairway in the past. 

My complaint aside, I would take a round at Newport CC every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  An absolute gem.

Mike

JC Urbina

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Dan,

I once told one of Golfs most famous designers that I thought Newport was one of my favorite courses and ranked it up with the best of them, maybe top twenty five, he just shook his head in disagreement.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
I haven't seen enough great courses to put Newport in any kind of comprehensive ranking. But from what I have seen, it is my favorite. Part of that might have to do with the atmosphere. But mostly it's because of the uniqueness/quality of the course and property. In terms of great architecture, I previously considered Yale my top course. The variety in the design, the huge greens, and some of the bold choices make it stand apart from other very good courses in my mind. The only thing that held it back in the past was really shitty maintenance. Those issues are gone and the greatness of the course is that much more obvious.

Having said that, I found Newport to be significantly better. It is more subtle, has a great relationship between fairways and greens, and allows for so much creativity. Because of the wind and the hard unwatered ground, all sorts of surprising things can happen. And I can't remember the last time I played when I had to hit a 3-wood on one par 3 and a hybrid on another. It also seems to me that the green speeds there are perfect ... not too fast and not too slow considering the constant presence of the wind.

As for the 5th hole, it played downwind when I was there. I hit my drive into the right rough and hit a wedge that bounced off the back of the green. All of the holes going in that direction played very short (9 and 10 were also shortened considerably by the wind). My host told me the breeze typically starts off from one direction in the morning and then switches almost 180 degrees in the afternoon.

John Blain

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
I was fortunate enough to play in the U.S. Amateur at Newport in 1995. It is no question one of the coolest places in golf. It was the centennial of the U.S. Am and the players dinner was held right on the water under a huge tent in the backyard of a mansion on Bellevue Ave. Very cool.

If anyone remembers the summer of 1995 there was a drought and NCC played like I-95. Tiger Woods who likely was the longest player in the field that week had virtually no advantage that week (that being his length) and he still beat everyone. It was a perfect course for Buddy Marucci who isn't the longest hitter but is phenomenal with the wedge and putter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back