News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Re: Dismal River - GCA/Rater weekend - Sept 16-18!
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
Love to come, Chris, got something else going on.  I missed the thread the first time around.  If you have a list for lazy gca readers/posters, put me on it.  I'd love to come sometime.

+1
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

George Freeman

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
I was the last person to join Dismal before Chris and his group purchased the place.  I had read every word ever posted on this site or anywhere else I could find on the internet.  I joined after playing six holes at twilight on a day after the course had closed for the season.  I mean really, despite being accused of being an ubercontrarian whose sanity is often in question, I doubt if I would have joined Dismal if the press was as bad as many think.  As is normal with this site and the internet in general most commentary is petty in nature.  The simple fact of the matter is and will always be that Dismal is not Sand Hills.  90% of the negative comments centered on that fact.

First off and importantly I was not asked to join Sand Hills so that was not an option for me.  But I did have an opportunity to join a course that shares much with Sand Hills simply because of the close proximity.  Today it occurred to me that is like being offered Jay Lo without the ass.  That isn't all that bad even if some of your internet buds don't like her music.

I think I have said before on this site that I have an unhealthy desire to win at everything I do.  One of the key factors in any game is to identify the players.  Sand Hills is not in our league as they have a full and continuous membership.  Ballyneal is a far different course in a different land formation much closer to a metropolitan area which enables them to charge fees few can afford.  We are not in competition with Ballyneal in any facet of any part of the game or potential members.  What many need to learn is that what is good for Dismal is good for Ballyneal which is even good for Sand Hills.  Those of us who love each course should embrace each others love for the game instead of questioning what is a Doak 8.  News flash....If any of these courses aren't worth driving 100 miles to see there ain't going to be much golf going on at all.

Interestingly enough I was lucky enough to choose an outing at The Prairie Club with my winnings from the Ben Cox raffle.  I will play there for the first time in a few weeks.  I hope to love it and return again in the future even though it is a bit out of the way given Awarii, Wild Horse, Bayside and Ballyneal fit my Omaha to Denver connections much better.  Funny isn't it how each of the mentioned courses, including Sand Hills, has benefited from my membership at Dismal.

Hell, even the North Platte Hospital and ambulance service has gotten a taste.

I still remember telling Mac how I felt sorry for him having to go home and assign a number to Sand Hills and Dismal after our life changing trip to the region.  I don't know what number he gave Sand Hills but he joined Dismal, and Eric joined Dismal.  Wow, I can't explain how strange that made me feel having two more people see what I saw.  Eric and Mac can play anywhere in the country they choose anytime they want and they chose to join the same course that I did after just one visit.  I don't know why any of you would need any more proof than that that Dismal is special.  It has shaken my ubercontrarian soul to my bones.  I am tempted to see if it is just me and join Awarii....Nah.

John - that's probably the best and most thoughtful post of yours I have read.  Thanks.  Dismal sounds like a special place.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brad Klein

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 07:11:06 AM »
Am still out here in Nebraska, having revisited Dismal River Monday -- my third time there. Then went on yesterday to Red Cloud in the southeast corner of the state, where I paid homage to the great Nebraska prairie writer Willa Cather, whose work has more to say about the spirit of golf land out here than anyone else writing today.

My sense of Dismal River has evolved. It is more interesting course than I first thought, still hard and still extreme in spots but has also been softened in places and made to fit the land better. Kudos to Chris Johnston and his team for attending to these areas.

As for the new course that Doak, Mahaffey and Slawnick are building, it is a stunner, mainly because it starts as a Sand Hills-prairie layout and gradually gets more compelling and varied as it works its way across the entrance road down, extends out under that massive hill (Horseshoe and Little Horseshoe) and wends along the banks of the Dismal River for the last three holes. The tee sites are among the most natural and most appealing I have ever seen, and the green settings are for the most part all there, as are the bunkers, which I swear you can see in the land as little hollows of grassed depressions.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
One of the most interesting things out there is using salt licks to try to uncover natural bunkering.  Just lay out a salt lick and let the cattle have at it.

From what I saw, it was working quite well.

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
I think it's about time we get Willie out there...

DISMAL
Whiskey River take my mind,
don't let her memory torture me...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
Or, "On the road again".

Ryan Simper,
 I have tried to chronicle the evolution with each of the visits I have made over the last four years. Sorry no pictures, but, perhaps a search of the archives will yield the old posts.?

Chris has done a good job in his synopsis, but to me, it felt like it was more than what he described. Maybe because it was over four years? Not to discount the green's evolutions, but the management of the surrounds is likely the biggest key to one of golf's greatest aspects, recovery.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
John,
Great post and so from the heart, rather than some of your posts that perhaps are not quite as...thoughtful..Hard to argue with anything you rote, which again is an anomoly for your posts ;D
Dismal is a beautiful place, marvelous surroundings in a breathtaking part of this country...food is superb, lodging to match and gold to be totally enjoyed...good choice to set up a second 'home"

Ben Sims

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
I think it's about time we get Willie out there...

I'll be in Luckenbach and Fredericksburg the day before I fly up in a couple weeks.  I'll just stop by and ask if he wants to come.  I'll be better on a rake than him, though I think his specialty will be the grass. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
Do stop and see him, Cap'n. I had Whiskey River playing on my iPod a lot when I was out there last month and his playing it live on the back porch at Dismal is a recurring dream. I told Mac and John about it yesterday in hopes of infecting them with the idea. And Clayman says he's going to a poker tourney riding in Willie's old tour bus! Maybe it's destiny? Chris, whattaya think about the Red Headed Stranger/The Outlaw/Dr. Booger at Dismal?

DISMAL
I'm drowning in a Whiskey River...

JC Jones

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
Would be great nighttime entertainment for the 5th on 4th next summer.  I can't wait to take the trophy home!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
I thought we were playing together next year? No way you're going to take the trophy home. Too much red meat and beer. You'll have gout all weekend and I certainly can't carry us.

JC Jones

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
You assume I'm not presently inflicted with nor accustomed to playing with the disease of kings.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
Wish I could be there, but hope to make DR next year. 

Chris Johnston

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Not sure we can have WN out...heard he uses a belly putter.

Update:  1-1/2 greens are basically shaped waiting for the Chef to arrive in less than an hour.  The Guinness and Peroni shall be flowing.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
Chris,
You whet the appetite for fine GCA.  Nicely done!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back