News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Thedford, Nebraska; A minimal subtle effort. Corey Crandall design.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
Joe and Andy,

But unlike a muni in a populated area that get dozens if not hundreds of rounds per day...I'm guessing this thing gets less than 10 per day given its remote nature.

Hardly a cash cow and they probably do well to keep it open on a measly $150-200 per day.

Good point. Is there any competition? Is there anything at all close by that's affordable, and how much does that cost?

A quick peak around shows the 9 holer at Mullen being the closest at over 25 miles away. 

However, it would appear the green fees are only $10..  so maybe its worth the driver over from Thedford!  ;D

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/coursefinder/course/0,28290,1465303,00.html

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »
I wish it had sand greens.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 11:39:56 PM »
Adam,

More photos if you have them.   It looks to be the type of simplicity I can't help but find appealing in a complicated age.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
My one gripe is "Augusta Wind"....how bout "Thedford Dunes"?

Looks like a fun take....love the "mow here, mow there...voila golf course" idea.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
Tom, Yes, irrigation throughout. Years ago I saw an aerial up of this course and the fairways were green, while the surrounds brown. The heads looked more like lawn type Rain-birds, than typical golf course heads. Re Grasses; According to Corey, they just mowed it down. The greens were probably seeded with some bent and there is some encroaching crab grass. Plenty of crabgrass and clover in the field, but low mowed, they played fine. Some Blue Brahma(?) in the rough. It looked like a blue fescue to this untrained eye. But it was a clump grass and had that blue hue. Maybe Corey had them over-seed with something, but I doubt it. Corey did point out some prairie grasses, that were adjacent, and he commented that that was how the course looked before they mowed it.

One of our boys noticed that there were some trees (not many) which were almost in a perfect double row, implying to me, at some point in the past, it may have been some kind of planned planting. I'm thinking maybe, an old homestead? ? The ground came from the airport, which is just south of the course (1/2 mi at least) and as Corey put it, he chose this more subtle section, versus the rougher ground between the course and the airport.

Sam, I have put up a sand greens course before. Big Springs. This is much better than a sand green course. I am playing this weekend on a seven hole course, with pasture fairways. Turns out Sand Greens ruin your shoes. The oil really F's'em up. That's what I was told today, anyway. Hey, I learned two things today. Did you know that some cows with horns, milk? They are called wild cows. Look like Steers with teets.

Mike, I don't think I have anymore pictures. I'd have taken more if the light had cooperated.

For those who think the money was too much; This was a Corey Crandall design! One of a kind. What's that worth? I suppose they have an annual pass and the $15 for nine was just to take advantage of the hit and runners. We were happy to pay the honor box. Sure Corey could've pulled the old "I'm the architect" crap, but then again there was nobody there to impress.

Brad, we talked about it on the way home and decided "Thedford" was the way to go. It describes it on so many levels.

Here's an attempt to post a link to the aerial.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.968521,-100.568097&spn=0.007993,0.016479&t=h&z=16
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:51:12 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:45 AM »
Adam:

The native grass you saw is called blue grama.  They used to spec it in rough mixes for Denver 20-30 years ago because it's so drought tolerant, but it's hard to establish if it isn't already native to the site.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »
Thanks Tom. Corey has been alerted and if there's corrections to make, he will clarify.

Mike, I found two more. Not great, but all I got.

The house in the background is new and belongs to the local who made all this happen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:03:22 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
We were happy to pay the honor box. Sure Corey could've pulled the old "I'm the architect" crap, but then again there was nobody there to impress.
;D ;D ;D

Now that was funny right there, I don't care who  you are...

Is that Bob the banker in those photos?  Can't tell... if it is, he's puttin on a little weight. 

It sounds like Corey needed a vacation from all the work at the golf course, so he took you to the golf course... ::) ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »
No, RJ. Not a banker.

Since the weather cooled, I suggested a trip. He cleared the decks and since most of his summer help leaves Friday for college, he knew he'd better take a day. We did run into several people who remembered Corey. It was a really nice trip, until we couldn't find the entrance to Pelican Beach.., bummer.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
Pelican Beach, entrance is just east of the driving range, I have driven by it many times. Have wanted to stop by and play, same with Mullen.
Have you played the Mullen course? If so, thoughts?
Thanks

David Harshbarger

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
I absolutely love this and courses like this.  Shows how compelling the game is.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
David. I'm convinced it's the naturalness that is key to being compelling. While that may not be everybody's take, the alternative is too closely related to fashionable. Which implies at some point it goes out of style.

Peter, no. not yet on Mullen North. We drove into the fairgrounds but couldn't find the entrance. So, I assume it's east of there? Someday, I will share a secret about their bunker construction. Times are hard enough without me spilling the beans. ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:25:24 AM by Adam Clayman »

JC Urbina

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Adam,

It looks like Corey is on the right track, producing fun golf courses for all to enjoy.

He is maximizing minimalism.

If people are in search of the "Pay Box" trail check out the 9 hole course in Hyannis, just east of town on highway, 2.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
Jim, That's Pelican Beach.

I believe it was Slag that first mentioned Pelican Beach on this website. When he said it, I thought the name a joke. That was up until this spring, when I went up that way and saw all the Pelican's in the wetlands just north of the course. It's rather amazing how close the water table is. They say you can hammer a pipe in the ground, just a few feet and water will come gushing out of it. No wonder Ted Turner bought up all these ranches.

Not to diminish the efforts of the fine young men who have been building great natural courses....BUT, I think it was Jack D. who was there when Dan P. walked around and laid out the course in Hyannis. Years later, Jack borrowed a piece of equipment from Jason @ Bayside, on a Friday night and returned it by Monday morning. During that time frame, Jack went and built every bunker Dan had mentioned on his talk while walking around. I understand one or two of them were so well placed, that one of the guys who started this whole thing, has filled those couple of bunkers in, because he kept finding them.  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
Maybe, a mini 'honor box tour' can be added to the Believers Cup series? 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »

I would put in an honour box supercentre at the golf course.  I see eggs, flowers and produce at honour boxes around here - put them all under the same roof and the $$ would roll in.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »
The following are Corey's words. "All native in fairways. Bluegrass in the tree holes. The other holes are a combination of Bluegrass, Sheeps fescue, Blue Gramma. The crabgrass is dominate right now but you could see the varieties still exist. You can only do what you can afford. So you live with crabgrass. Irrigation is valve in line around the green with popups. Single row in fairways, no problem with over watering the perfect rough and enough water to handle the mowing and cart traffic. Note the low spots that had water in them was not casual water with a free drop. It was just water, so play it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »

That's prophetic Dick!

Corey told me he thought the Believers should be rounds at Mullen North (The town course) Thedford, Stapelton and the finish at Wild Horse. But, he was voted down because Bayside is such a great place to stay and play without the vagaries of traveling. Throw in Westy Winds and it's become a happening.  Clearly most on here would be considered believers, but some,,, not so much.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 01:57:57 AM »
Yeah, I know that the boys really need the end of the year, 'when the works all done in fall' blowin off the steam that they can get at Bayside. 

If you were an old "Rawhide" fan, the Believers is like when the trali boss 'Clint' (Gil Favor) having to take the boys out on the town after they got paid.  Rowdy (Treavor), Pete Nolan scout (Wade) and Wishbone (Corey) always havin fun shootin up the golf course.  Those boys had enough of the roughin it all year and need a place to roast their grub, take a bath, and watch some Nebraska feetball after the golfin stuff.  Who can blame them?  I hate to break it to 'em about the cheeseheads gonna win the big red game this year.  It was bad enough last year when they went and lost to Taxes and then Bucky kicked those Buckeye over rated #1 behinds.  ;) ;D 8)

Can't be messing with no honor box for the Believers Cup.  That is how you know the real golfin cowboy, cause he is the guy who rides in the truck on the hump in the middle;  that way he don't have to drive, and don't have to get out and mess with the honor box.   8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back