News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

This trip has been threatened for a long time now. Yesterday, we went. After stopping by "Augusta Wind G.C." in Stapleton, we went farther up Rt. 83 to the small town of Thedford. Back when Corey was super at Sand Hills, one of the town's businessmen approached Corey asking if he could help them get themselves a G.C. . Corey went out, showed them where to put the driving range, the tees and the greens. All they did was mow down the native grasses and viola, a golf course was born. Originally, there were no bunkers.

Here's a view of the original first green. There was a change in the routing because of where they decided to put the cart shed and starter's shack.
I apologize for the picture quality, but something is better than nothing. This original 1st hole is a 416 yard par 5. Uphill and into the prevailing wind (south) it plays as a snaking fairway using the natural dunes slopes to great affect.

From right side and closer.

Here's one showing the openness of the open areas and the easy playability of the rough between fairways.

This hole shows the sweeping land and how the powers that be can mis-unsderstand the importance of openness. It has a tw tier green that absolutely delicious, but, the second picture barely shows it.

This next pic is of a par 3. The tree is not so much in play as it guards the right side of the green, but is easily carried. The left side, again, has been altered by the powers that be, by placing an ill-concieved bunker, directly in line with where one could aim left and play the hillside to bounce a ball on the green.

All in all, Thedford proved that golf in a natural setting can and is enjoyable for every level of player and aficionado (snob)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil McDade

Re: Thedford, Nebraska; A minimal subtle effort. Corey Crandall design.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
Interesting stuff; that's one ill-placed bunker.

9 holes? I assume it runs pretty quick?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
Adam:

Thanks for making my world a little larger today.  I enjoy learning about courses that I have never seen (or in this case, heard of).

Looks like fun.

Bart

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
Phil, Yes, nine holes. With all the rains, it played softer than I suspect it would normally.

Bart, Thanx, I'm all about making someone's day.

Here's a few pics of the Stapleton course. We didn't play so there won't be any narrative.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »
Hate to sound uncharitable, but there's nothing in these photos that would cause me to slow my car down if I was driving within 50 miles.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
Hate to sound uncharitable, but there's nothing in these photos that would cause me to slow my car down if I was driving within 50 miles.

How about if the thread said Thedford Scotland?

Anthony

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

How about if the thread said Thedford Scotland?

Anthony

I'd honk at the sheep.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
"Augusta Wind" could be in a tiny Scottish village with that starter's shack and honor box.   

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
That looks like lots of fun, stuff like this is better for golf than most of the courses you see out there.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
"Augusta Wind" could be in a tiny Scottish village with that starter's shack and honor box.   

Playing a course with an honor box is on my bucket list.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

Playing a course with an honor box is on my bucket list.

No problem, I'll put one out for you at PCC.   ;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
I didn't put this up to suggest to anyone, to stop by here. I highly doubt any of you belt notchers will be driving down this road, anyway. Sand Hills G.C. is off of hwy 97, not 83. If you aren't really known for your appreciation of golf in a natural setting, please move on to another scintillating thread about the best of threads. At least there's an honor box, $15 for nine holes $20 for all day. You do have to go to the Sinclair station, in town, to pick up the cart keys. 

In the words of Gibby, "It never needs to be more than that."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »
Courses like this are also on my bucket list...but of a different type.

That entry on the bucket list involves taking a couple of years to drive around the country in a RV and stopping in at as many of these guys and enjoying the simple life.  Of course that trip would also involve taking in some of the better samples as well...it would be a veritable smorgasbord of golf courses in all thier shapes, sizes, and flavors.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
I love places like this.  Simple, affordable, and communal in encouraging engagement with the local landscape.  Also sustainable environmentally and economically (or at least I assume so with a half decent amount of rounds for the remote location).  I think the R&A would be happy to see that we do have some courses like this over on our side of the Pond.  I will bring it up on our group message board later.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jason Hines

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
What do you think the signature cocktail is at each of these clubs?

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
Adam,
Thanks for posting. It looks like these courses would be a blast to play.
I was wondering if they had logo belts to add to JC's collection?  ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Love it. I'd stop in and play a quick nine holes there if I was driving past. Can't imagine it would take more than 1hr to play.
H.P.S.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
Who knew?   I drove through Thedford on my drive home from the 5th Major!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
Jason. It should be a Crandall Creek. But you probably have to come to West Winds for that. My guess? Whatever beer is on sale at the Sinclair station in town.       Btw. This course is maintained by the people that play there. If you lived within 25 miles you'd be nutz not to love it.  a

Jason Hines

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
Jason. It should be a Crandall Creek. But you probably have to come to West Winds for that. My guess? Whatever beer is on sale at the Sinclair station in town.       Btw. This course is maintained by the people that play there. If you lived within 25 miles you'd be nutz not to love it.  a

I love it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Adam:

To tie this with one of the other threads going right now, what did they do for grassing?  Is this the native prairie grasses mowed down in the fairways, or was it seeded with something new?  Irrigated fairways, or no?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
May sound ridiculous to say but is this overpriced?  With no staff, maintained by locals, no real startup cost is the rate set in order to recoup costs of equipment?  I would guess this is not run by the businessman mentioned in order turn a profit.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »
May sound ridiculous to say but is this overpriced?  With no staff, maintained by locals, no real startup cost is the rate set in order to recoup costs of equipment?  I would guess this is not run by the businessman mentioned in order turn a profit.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know about recoupment costs, what's the going rate around there? Granted I'm in a very cheap market, but I can play decent munis for under 20 for 18, and those are 18 holes and old, decent courses. But I'd think that Thedford, Nebraska can't be an expensive market.

Anyway, I like the course and would love to play.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
Joe and Andy,

But unlike a muni in a populated area that get dozens if not hundreds of rounds per day...I'm guessing this thing gets less than 10 per day given its remote nature.

Hardly a cash cow and they probably do well to keep it open on a measly $150-200 per day.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
Joe and Andy,

But unlike a muni in a populated area that get dozens if not hundreds of rounds per day...I'm guessing this thing gets less than 10 per day given its remote nature.

Hardly a cash cow and they probably do well to keep it open on a measly $150-200 per day.

Good point. Is there any competition? Is there anything at all close by that's affordable, and how much does that cost?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back