News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Do TV Producers have a college education?
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
Rory has a injury and it is legitimate topic. But now all we have seen for a few hours is Rory and talking over and over to point of nausea what happened and whatever. There is a lot of golf being played out there. Can the producer cover Rory and other things together. Or is he so dense that his next job will be covering Michael Jackson whatever for 120 days in a row.

JMEvensky

Re: Do TV Producers have a college education?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

Rory has a injury and it is legitimate topic. But now all we have seen for a few hours is Rory and talking over and over to point of nausea what happened and whatever. There is a lot of golf being played out there. Can the producer cover Rory and other things together. Or is he so dense that his next job will be covering Michael Jackson whatever for 120 days in a row.

I understand what you're saying and agree that the RM injury deserves some serious discussion.

But,I'm pretty sure the Michael Jackson story is a dead issue.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
Whether it's golf or the Olympics or soccer or whatever (other than NFL Football, apparently) the suits at the TV networks believe that play of the sport itself is merely the framework on which to hang their ignorant pandering to the non-sports-lovers who might somehow, magically decide to tune in for soap opera stuff. I believe teh assumption is that anyone wanting to actually see, you know, golf being played will sit there like a captive audience no matter how much dreck they cut away to. And that the dreck will attract dreck-lovers, to boot.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Successful business man?  Yes
Net worth somewhere in the billions?  Yes
College degree?  No

And please...don't mention honorary degrees.  Our post-secondary education system is bad enough without bringing up that wart of a practice!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:49:16 PM by Kalen Braley »

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Whether it's golf or the Olympics or soccer or whatever (other than NFL Football, apparently) the suits at the TV networks believe that play of the sport itself is merely the framework on which to hang their ignorant pandering to the non-sports-lovers who might somehow, magically decide to tune in for soap opera stuff. I believe teh assumption is that anyone wanting to actually see, you know, golf being played will sit there like a captive audience no matter how much dreck they cut away to. And that the dreck will attract dreck-lovers, to boot.

Exactly except I'd definitely add the NFL.  As "Dr. Z," Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated used to say about NFL announcers, it is always about selling the storyline and selling the stars even if something different is going on on the field.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

Exactly except I'd definitely add the NFL.  As "Dr. Z," Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated used to say about NFL announcers, it is always about selling the storyline and selling the stars even if something different is going on on the field.

Isn`t it the case with all professional sports and even college basketball and football as well.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
Some of Brandel Chamblee's comments on the Rory wrist:

1) It could end his career.
2) All of Europe was holding its breath after Rory hit that shot.
3) All young guys do crazy things and take crazy risks.
4) Since the club was bent, his wrist must be hurt.

I would say "don't quit your day job," but not quitting might be a menace to the entire golfing industry.

Did someone shoot 63 today?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
Did someone shoot 63 today?

Yes, and he's from Wisconsin! ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »

John,

I suggest you tune in to The Closer.  Now I'm not sure if the University of Miami is accredited but the one television producer I have met seemed pretty damned smart to me.  I don't get why you bitch every week about the television coverage when you could either just follow the tournament on the internet or play golf yourself.  TV is so 80's, give it up man.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
Barney I could give up TV, but then why when I love to have tubes everywhere. I never have understood why they do continue to act as if they will enlarge the market in that way. By the by i only bitch during the majors. I do not watch other tour events.

Michael Robin

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
UM is indeed accredited University.
 :)

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
Successful business man?  Yes
Net worth somewhere in the billions?  Yes
College degree?  No

But I still don't think he could produce a golf telecast. 

(Besides, the thread title mention 'college education', not 'college degree' and Mr Gates defintely got a college education.)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
I heard the lead golf writer for ESPN "report" that Rory wanted to be extra cautious with the wrist given that he doesn't to jeopardize the events coming up for the rest of the year and the President's Cup.   ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back