News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Scott

Getting more Golf Digest Raters
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »
Hello all GCA'ers... This is my first post here on the site, so I apologize in advance if I am not following normal protocol...so here goes:
I am Steve Scott and I have been the Head Golf Professional for the last 2 1/2 years at The Ridge at Back Brook, a little known (to most) Tom Fazio private in Central New Jersey.  The club has been open for 9 years now and has been consistently ranked in the top 10 by Golf Digest in NJ despite the fact that we have barely had enough rankings to even be considered for best in state.  A current mission of mine is to spread the word about our club to as many Golf Digest Raters (and others) as possible to have them come to play our club which is located under an hour drive from many of the NJ great clubs like Plainfield, Baltusrol and Somerset Hills which get more raters than they can handle (I imagine)...

What advice would any of you have for me in my quest to have more raters play our club?  As I have with all the other raters that The Ridge has hosted, I would personally enjoy playing with any raters that come our way.  (For those who may not realize, I am the same Steve Scott who played a big amateur match in 1996 as well as on a few national teams representing the U.S....I would enjoy sharing a lot of stories from all of my golf travels!). Look forward to hearing from many of you and thank you for having me as a part of your discussion group!

Kenny Baer

Re: Getting more Golf Digest Raters
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
Cool stuff, do you remember what you shot vs Tiger on the 2nd 18?  I am in Atlanta but will certainly try to play The Ridge if ever up your way. What are some of your favorite courses?

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
The first thing would be to get in touch with Pete Finch at Golf Digest and make sure your club is listed as "Actively Seeking Panelists."

After that, I'm not sure what to tell you other than there are a lot of raters on this site that will now know you're looking for visitors.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
I shot 2 under for the second 18....threw about everything I could at him!  Look me up if you get my way!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
Steve - welcome to the website!  Always great to have another Philly guy here!  (OK - I know you're between NY and Philly, but we'll claim you :) )

PS - Is #8 as interesting in person as it looks on the website?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:16:31 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Steve Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Cool stuff, do you remember what you shot vs Tiger on the 2nd 18?  I am in Atlanta but will certainly try to play The Ridge if ever up your way. What are some of your favorite courses?
In New Jersey I love Mountain Ridge...Pebble Beach and Oakmont are some of my top ones too

Steve Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
The first thing would be to get in touch with Pete Finch at Golf Digest and make sure your club is listed as "Actively Seeking Panelists."

After that, I'm not sure what to tell you other than there are a lot of raters on this site that will now know you're looking for visitors.

Ok thank you very much!  I have talked to Pete Finch already...I hope many of you will take me up on the offer!

Steve Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
Steve - welcome to the website!  Always great to have another Philly guy here!  (OK - I know you're between NY and Philly, but we'll claim you :) )

PS - Is #8 as interesting in person as it looks on the website?

I am right in the middle!  Close enough to touch both cities...number 8 has two completely different lines of play and elevations...the ridge in the back of the green starts and stops on our property...very unique experience for New Jersey...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
Sure is - my in-laws are up in Freehold, and it's really flat up there.   Cool that you have that type of topography.

BTW - I don't have a clue as to how to get more raters (not being one :) )
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:30:27 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Steve - welcome to the forum!

I am sure you won't have much trouble finding some willing raters to take you up on this generous invitation.

I remember watching your match in 1996 and your post brought back two memories for me.  The first was rooting like hell for you to hold on for the win. The second was your caddie.  I hope your family will take that second purely as a compliment. I can't hide from the facts!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
Little flashback to the greatest Amateur match I have ever seen - here on the 38th hole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0IoL8A12HY

Good to see you here Steve. Hope all is well with you and your former caddie and now wife!

Steve Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
Steve - welcome to the forum!

I am sure you won't have much trouble finding some willing raters to take you up on this generous invitation.

I remember watching your match in 1996 and your post brought back two memories for me.  The first was rooting like hell for you to hold on for the win. The second was your caddie.  I hope your family will take that second purely as a compliment. I can't hide from the facts!

That's not the first time I heard about my caddie!!!  I got lucky with her...we have two young children now!!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
Whatever happened to that guy who beat you?

Steve Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »
I read a Rick Reilly article last week that said he lost his family, his swing, his caddie, etc, so it doesn't sound like life is treating him great at the moment... He sure had it all for a long time though!!!  I think  he still might have a couple of bucks left however....

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
The mention of your caddie got me curious....

Steve's caddie

Steve Scott

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
The mention of your caddie got me curious....

Steve's caddie

Many people remember her before they recall me! 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
Steve,

First let me apologize for the fan boys on this site.  Congrats on a great life.  The first thing I thought when I read your question and saw your course was in New Jersey was this guy needs to contact Matt Ward.  Matt, an ex-rater from Digest knows rating and Jersey.  I found this on your site from his ex-magazine, so perhaps you know him:

The Ridge at Back Brook Named 2nd Best Private Golf Course
in New Jersey

Announced by New Jersey Golf Magazine in their Fall 2005 issue:

The Ridge at Back Brook placed a strong second for the second consecutive year to Pine Valley as New Jersey's Best Private Golf Course. The survey also stated that "the results (of The Ridge placing a strong second behind Pine Valley) were surprising not because the course is anything less than world-class, but simply for the fact that the course is only in its third full year of existence."

We are very pleased to receive this outstanding recognition. We would like to take this opportunity to thank not only the individuals named above but all our employees and staff, the numerous contractors who were involved with construction and planning of our course and especially all our members. This has truly been a team effort and everyone should be extremely proud. For the Club to attain this status at such a young age is remarkable.

I hope that wasn't the blurb that got Ward fired but wow, the course must be better than the pictures indicate.  Personally I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  Given the abundance of great courses in Jersey and the dated look of your course I would think Golfweek would be a better fit for you.  Those guys can't always get on the premiere courses in your region and now rank the top 400 courses in the country while Digest is still at just 100.  From what I see you need to lower the bar a bit and see what Golfweek has to offer first.  Perhaps a rater camp if you can afford it.  Good luck and happy comping.  psst. I hear some of your competition is giving away free caddies with the round, couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:37:46 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
How far are you from Hawke Point?  I am down there a fair bit as my BIL is a member there.  The club house styles are similar.  The course style and setting from the  pictures of your clubs website also seem like they have a similar look.  Have you played Hawke Point?  

Based on being in  the top 10 ranking in NJ against all that heavy competition you have,  I  can't help but to think it must be a real  treat to play.

While I am not a GD rater I would take you up on the offer this fall when I am in the area if that is ok.  please let me know then protocol for doing so.

Thanks

Dan
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:51:32 PM by Dan Byrnes »

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »
Steve,

I am a GD Panelist and you can count me in for playing at the Ridge with you.  I live in Bucks County (Newtown) and my wife works in New Hope.

I still remember the chip in on 10 (?) from the right rough.  Does it make me too much of a golf geek that I remember that 15 years later....

Regards,

Geoff

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
Steve - welcome. I can't help at all with your question, but I want to encourage you to post often. We can always use the perspective of a top-flight golfer who's played a lot of great courses.

Peter

Brad Tufts

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
Hi Steve,

Not that I'm a big enough part of GCA to give you a proper welcome...but welcome!

I'm a GD panelist (Golf Digest or G*d damn, dunno which), so I will take your wishes into advisement for my travels, and the recommendations of others in the area.

I just thought I had to say hello, and to affirm why this is such a neat place.  Every time we have disagreements, etc., I remember we are a group that includes many great architects that give us a window into the process that creates these playing fields we love, as well as those connected with the golf industry and organizations in such great ways to further discussion.  I think of Melvyn's Morris familial connection, Tom Paul and the GAP and Penn. golf associations, Michael Fay and the Donald Ross Society, and even some moonlighting by PGA and Senior tour star Tom Lehman just to name a few.  The participation of someone like you that has seen golf at its highest level can only add to what many of us consider an addiction!

Thanks and hope to meet you at some point!

-Brad T.

corrected:  wrong Fay!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:45:50 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:57 PM »
Good to have you aboard, Steve. Let me add my memories to the collective ones already expressed, when I say how much I enjoyed watching that particular match.

I hope that you have the opportunity to express your opinions on architecture, given your representation of the USA. Did you play Walker at either Royal Porthcawl or Quaker Ridge? Perhaps you can begin there.

If expressing your true thoughts is handcuffed by your employer or your position in the industry, please take up a pseudonym on this site and write freely!

Good luck gathering the raters.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
Steve, I saw another post you made and thought immediately "I wonder if that's the same Steve Scott I saw on TV against Tiger at the Am".  I'm sure you'll have many great stories to share with our measly group and I look forward to them.  Welcome to the site!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:09 AM »
I read a Rick Reilly article last week that said he lost his family, his swing, his caddie, etc, so it doesn't sound like life is treating him great at the moment... He sure had it all for a long time though!!!  I think  he still might have a couple of bucks left however....

Sounds like now would be a good time to ask for a rematch.
Maybe you can suggest a little know gem, The Ridge at Back Brook for the venue.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael George

Re: Getting more Golf Digest Raters New
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »
Steve:

From one new member to another, welcome to the site.  Like myself, I think you will be amazed at the depth of knowledge about golf course architecture in this discussion group.  I thought I knew a lot about golf courses until I got involved with this group.  

It sounds from the previous posts that you are already on your way to getting raters to your club.  

Also congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful family and a great job at The Ridge at Back Brook.  While I have not played it, I have heard really good things.  

Take care.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:33:51 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back