News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt OBrien

Militia Hill vs Commonwealth National
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
For those of you that have played both courses, Which do you prefer?
I got into a discussion last night with a friend and he insisted that Commonwealth National is a better course. I tend to disagree and I want to get some of your thoughts.

D_Malley

Re: Militia Hill vs Commonwealth National
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
Militia Hill hands down, but i would prefer wissahikon hands down over milita hill.  I have played all three courses many times.

played MH about 3 weeks ago and the conditioning was perfect, very F&F

Matt OBrien

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Militia Hill hands down, but i would prefer wissahikon hands down over milita hill.  I have played all three courses many times.

played MH about 3 weeks ago and the conditioning was perfect, very F&F

I agree with you....Aside from the conditioning of the golf courses I think the course is MUCH better...
His argument was that commonwealth is a tougher golf course. I will agree with him on that point because you have OB on many of the holes and you have to work your ball around a few office buildings...
Does a tougher golf course ever make it a better golf course?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
As a former member of CN who has played the course hundreds of times but has only played MH once, all I can say is that they are different courses. CN has forced carries galore as wetlands are a big feature of the course. To coin a phrase,MH is more of a traditional modern course. When CN opened in 1990 it created quite a buzz in the area as the first new private club in many years. When MH opened, the buzz just wasn't there. CN attracts many low handicappers as evidenced by their recent GAP championships. Obviously, they aren't put off by the difficulty of the course. As for mid handicappers, course management is the key at CN. The difficulty at CN is off the tee and getting to the green. The greens are comparitively mild. If they were more undulating, the already high slope ratings from all tees would be much higher. Of course, the office buildings at CN detract from the visual experience but do not come into play unless you really hit an absolutely terrible shot.

I too prefer Wissahickon over MH.

Some tougher courses do make a better golf course- think Oakmont and Pine Valley. CN has found its niche in the area- a tough golf course for the low handicappers to enjoy and a good place to be for mid handicappers who can manage their game. If you like a diverse, friendly and low key membership, you'll like CN
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt OBrien

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:03 PM »
As a former member of CN who has played the course hundreds of times but has only played MH once, all I can say is that they are different courses. CN has forced carries galore as wetlands are a big feature of the course. To coin a phrase,MH is more of a traditional modern course. When CN opened in 1990 it created quite a buzz in the area as the first new private club in many years. When MH opened, the buzz just wasn't there. CN attracts many low handicappers as evidenced by their recent GAP championships. Obviously, they aren't put off by the difficulty of the course. As for mid handicappers, course management is the key at CN. The difficulty at CN is off the tee and getting to the green. The greens are comparitively mild. If they were more undulating, the already high slope ratings from all tees would be much higher. Of course, the office buildings at CN detract from the visual experience but do not come into play unless you really hit an absolutely terrible shot.

I too prefer Wissahickon over MH.

Some tougher courses do make a better golf course- think Oakmont and Pine Valley. CN has found its niche in the area- a tough golf course for the low handicappers to enjoy and a good place to be for mid handicappers who can manage their game. If you like a diverse, friendly and low key membership, you'll like CN

I agree with most of what you have posted above but I think that its hard to say that the course is the only reason that the good players have joined CN. I am almost certain that if both courses had identical initiation fees then MH and cricket would be the choice....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Matt,

One of the big membership draws to CN, a non equity,corporate owned club, is that the initial cost is refundable. There may now be a modest non-refundable initiation fee.There wasn't one when I joined. Also,there are no assessments. Another factor is that CN is a golf only club- no pool,tennis courts,etc.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
Is Commonwealth National an oxymoron?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
The original developer had plans to market national membershps with cabins or suites in a large club house for visiting members. Never happened. The new owners never dropped the "National" thus adding to the long list of "national" clubs. They did change the name from CNCC to CNGC.

Pennsylvania is one of states that maintains a commonwealth status. I guess it's a distinction without a difference.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Steve...one of my favorite trivia questions...there are 4 states that are officially commonwealths. We've named two here...can anyone name the other two, without consulting Google or another web search engine?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:23:09 AM »
Virginia is one I am guessing.  Is Massachusetts another one?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:47 AM »
Well, I guess we had named only one, but now we have three: PA, MA and VA...what is the fourth?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »
Teacher,  know:

Kentucky- The Mint Julep State

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back