News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Pinehurst #2 w/Photos
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
Played Pinehurst #2 for the second time since the renovation/restoration/whatever you want to call it. Many photos have been seen before, but I figured more can't hurt. And a lot that I have seen has been more of the marketing or construction ilk, not necessarily what you see when you play a round.

The first hole now pinches at around 270 from the back tees, making a fairway wood a possible play. Previously it was a mindless driver to SW range.

Second hole is an intimidating tee shot now

Same with the third - the previously unremarkable tee shot now offers a bit more pucker

The fourth hole is the first place where you see the difficulty they are having with making the sandy areas all play sandy. Much of this was rough before, but now it's more like grassless dirtpan. It's on its way, but it ain't sandy waste area yet. The same is true of many other areas on the course, notably on the 5th and 8th holes.

5th hole will always be world-class

6th hole

7th tee shot used to be an odd mounded mess. Now it's a semi-blind educated guess.

8th hole - as mentioned earlier, the left side here was previously rough and is now kind of a dried mud/dirtpan lie. They need to get some sand over there to make it consistent with the goal.

9th hole - probably the best postcard hole they have - the hole plays no differently than it used to, but the aesthetics are far better.

10th hole - the biggest change here is the addition of the bunker at the 185 mark, which doesn't make a ton of sense to me since it only punishes the shorter hitters or the lesser players. Nonetheless, it DOES play some visual games with you and makes this lay up shot a very tough one.

11th hole - one of the toughest on the course, and more visually intimidating than before now.  

12th - Continuing the theme of more intimidating tee shots, the 12th has a lot more going on in the landing area than before. 270 won't get you in trouble unless you go right (which you would have no good reason to do anyway

13th - this and the next are the two most changed holes with respect to the native area - and in this case the sand is truly sand. I guess it's because they pulled out turf and ground rather than just turning off the sprinklers. Either way, the 13th is a much more pronounced left to right dogleg, and the fantastic bunker on the inside corner pinches at just the right spot - about 240 off the tee, daring you to challenge it for a good look at the green.

14 - same sand area right that used to be a big grass field with a few bunkers.

15 - not much different to look at here - still a tough green to hit with a mid or long iron

16 - A little more native looking up the left side here, Mainly has the effect of drawing your attention to something other than the lake

17 - Another looker...

18 also looks markedly different from the tee. Again, like 13 it gives more of an impression of the actual shape of the hole - almost a double dogleg - that was not as evident before the redo.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:04:36 AM by Ryan_Simper »

John Mayhugh

Re: The Deuce
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »
Ryan,
Thanks for the tour and frank commentary on the changes.

hhuffines

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
Ryan,

How are the greens holding up from the recent tournaments and all the heat?  Did you play #3 from the tee box behind the road?
Thanks for the pics!

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
I played on the 17th, which was a very temperate day (the 15th-17th all were).

The greens are a little on the slow side but mostly healthy looking. It's been hot since then as you know so hard to say now. Interestingly, the greens at #4 were pristine and almost quick, which I found remarkable for July.
No evidence on 2 of stress due to newness plus heat...just looks like a conservative choice not to cut them low.

rjsimper

Re: Pinehurst #2 w/Photos
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
I'm also kind of wondering...as it is currently 96 degrees and we had inches of rain over the weekend, if they have a contingency plan for the Women's Open...if the course just gets absolutely wrecked due to the rain+heat combo...wonder if they have a hail mary plan to hold the women's open on #8 or something like that.

Probably not, but they are in the unique position of having that option...unlike say, Newport CC where there is just one suitable course.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:39 AM »

A dramatic aesthetic difference. How much does it change the difficulty of the course?

Anthony

rjsimper

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
I think it depends on your particular game. If you are a straight hitter and not really affected by visual intimidation, it's probably easier with no rough.

If you are a little more of a mental job like me, then it certainly inspires less confidence from the tee as it used to, where the wide corridors and seas of green made you feel that even if you got a little sideways, you weren't in too much trouble.

A blind golfer would probably find the difficulty to be about the same....maybe slightly firmer than previously due to fewer irrigation heads.

Steve Kline

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
"A blind golfer would probably find the difficulty to be about the same"

Well...my dad went blind last fall (at about a 6 handicap but he plays nowhere near that now) and shot an 87 on it this spring.  Given that he just went blind and hasn't played much I'd say he finds the relative difficulty the same. :D

I think it plays easier off the tee. The fairways are wider and the bermuda was difficult for the higher handicap to hit out of. Now, unless you are right next to wire some grass, you can always advance the ball pretty far. With the bermuda rough there times even I had a hard time advancing the ball.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
This looks better than the photos they had on their website; the glaring white seas of sand didn't look right.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
I have never been to Pinehurst...so thanks for the pics.

The course looks spectacular, but that roofy mess behind 18 needs to burn.

Chris Buie

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
The course looks spectacular, but that roofy mess behind 18 needs to burn.

It's not going to happen anytime soon.  There will be a new members clubhouse (directly behind 18 green) at some point though.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Ryan,

Thanks for the updated pics. No. 2 looks better every time I see it. I also applaud the caddie management company there for having the good sense to get the caddie staff out of the white monkey suits and into some comfortable, dignified attire. Those coveralls were ghastly and could roast a man in that steamy Carolina heat.

If I may, would you say the caddies did a quality job? Did they add to your day?

Chris,

That clubhouse looks sharp. When are they planing to start that, when recovery is felt? I'm looking forward to the second Symposium in November. We need to get a round in together during that trip!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Chris Buie

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
Kris, I don't think there is a set time for re-doing the members clubhouse (which is attached to the classical clubhouse).  Certainly, they will want to do it in a better economic environment.  Good things will continue to happen - in due course.  ;)
And yes, we will have to get a round together when you visit!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:26:20 AM by Chris Buie »

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
I would say that at this point for me, having played there half a dozen times, I'm kind of over the caddies. Not that they did anything wrong, but to me a caddie doing the whole PGA Tour experience crossed with the stories and yarns of the course thing is cool for the first time or two you play. Then I just like someone to carry my bag and help me when I ask for it.

I was hosting clients, though, and I know they all quite liked the caddie experience. So since I am jaded, I will defer to their glowing reviews as evidence that they do add to the experience.

I will also say that there is no way in hell I would take a cart on that course...the caddie did tell me they are contemplating going to mandatory caddies because it speeds up play (versus cart path only, which given the wide corridors is categorically absurd)

Never in any of my plays have I had a bad caddie. I have had some better than others for sure, but never a bad one at Pinehurst - can't say that for all courses.

Steve Kline

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 03:46:27 AM »
I would ave to think that would be mandatory caddies except for members because there would be a bunch of pissed off members. Members are allowed to carry their own bag though.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
Ryan:

Terrific photos; thanks for posting.

One question: What's the local rule re. bunkers vs. sandy/grassy areas? There are clearly greenside bunkers at #2, presumably subject to traditional rules on bunkers. Fairway bunkers? Sandy areas? What about transition areas? Any sense how that will be sorted out for the Opens? Thanks!

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Steve - I assume you are correct. Even now the posted policy is "Caddies or Carts Mandatory", from which the members are of course exempt. My guess is the caddy policy would be for resort play only.

Phil - every time I was in the sand...which was fairly frequently on this day...my caddie made a point to say "This is a waste area" or "This one is a bunker". My speculation is that if it had a defined border, it was a bunker. It will be interesting, though, as I think the ultimate goal for holes like 9 is that the bunker blends in to the waste area despite at the moment having a defined back lip.

Steve Kline

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
The way I understand it is if it is surrounded by grass it is a bunker and if it is not completely surrounded by grass it is sandy rough.

Cory Brown

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »
Agree about the clubhouse, but the course now really has a fantastic throwback look to it.  Incredible restoration work!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back