News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1975 on: Yesterday at 11:34:47 AM »
It has been a good few months.
The European Club
Druid's Heath
Cabot Links
Cabot Cliffs
Bryce Resort
Pinehurst #10
Musgrove Mill
Tot Hill Farm
Cabot Citrus Karoo
Ballyneal
GrayBull
Sanctuary
Warwick Hills
St. Johns Resort: The Cardinal
Tree Farm
Old Barnwell
Point Hardy GC: Cabot St. Lucia
Frederica
Ocean Forest

What do you think of St John’s?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #1976 on: Yesterday at 12:16:01 PM »
The European Club
Druid's Heath
Cabot Links
Cabot Cliffs
Bryce Resort
Pinehurst #10
Musgrove Mill
Tot Hill Farm
Cabot Citrus Karoo
Ballyneal
GrayBull
Sanctuary
Warwick Hills
Tree Farm
Old Barnwell
Frederica
Ocean Forest

Ciao

I played with guys who had played it eight times since it opened. They loved it. I asked them, "Why?" They said it is in good condition, pretty, and has some hard holes. They were right. Was it architecturally interesting? Not really. Do I want to play it again? Not really. There were two par fives, a short par four, and a couple of par threes that I liked, but that is about it. As a nice pace to have a company scramble, it is great. If you and your spouse want a nice place to stay and play golf on a weekend, it is a good place. That is what it was designed for, so it works.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #1977 on: Yesterday at 02:01:50 PM »
I have been on a good run of some amazing golf courses as of late.

1.  High Pointe
2. Belvedere
3.  Forest Dunes
4.  The Loop
5. Arcadia Bluffs
6.  Whistling Straights
7. Sand Valley
8. Mammoth Dunes
9.  Angels Crossing
10.  Stoatin Brae
"Pure Michigan"

Jeff Segol

« Reply #1978 on: Yesterday at 03:16:17 PM »
Hi Matt:

Wondering if you agree with something I wrote in another thread, which is that the courses in our neck of the woods are really differentiating on cost relative to condition? For example, I played earlier this month a Metropolitan, and found the course conditions pretty poor. They're struggling to keep grass on the fairways. Anything that is in decent condition in the Bay Area is $100+ on the weekends to walk, or you have to play as a single at 2 p.m., which I hate. Last Sunday I got up a 0-dark-thirty to drive from San Jose to Stockton to play at Spanos Park, which I really enjoyed because it was in decent condition.

This will be fun since I was basically the last one to post:

Metropolitan GL, Oakland, CA
Gleneagles GC, San Francisco, CA
Sharp Park GL, Pacifica, CA
Lake Merced GC, Daly City, CA
Lincoln Park GC, San Francisco, CA
Northwood GC, Monte Rio, CA
Poplar Creek GC, San Mateo, CA
Presidio GC, San Francisco, CA
Olympic Club (Ocean), San Francisco, CA
The Lido, Nekoosa, WI

Sean_A

« Reply #1979 on: Yesterday at 03:21:25 PM »
The European Club
Druid's Heath
Cabot Links
Cabot Cliffs
Bryce Resort
Pinehurst #10
Musgrove Mill
Tot Hill Farm
Cabot Citrus Karoo
Ballyneal
GrayBull
Sanctuary
Warwick Hills
Tree Farm
Old Barnwell
Frederica
Ocean Forest

Ciao

I played with guys who had played it eight times since it opened. They loved it. I asked them, "Why?" They said it is in good condition, pretty, and has some hard holes. They were right. Was it architecturally interesting? Not really. Do I want to play it again? Not really. There were two par fives, a short par four, and a couple of par threes that I liked, but that is about it. As a nice pace to have a company scramble, it is great. If you and your spouse want a nice place to stay and play golf on a weekend, it is a good place. That is what it was designed for, so it works.

Thanks Tommy.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

PCCraig

« Reply #1980 on: Yesterday at 06:38:56 PM »
Most Recent First dating back to August 1:
Pebble Beach
Pacific Grove
Cypress Point
Olympic Club (Lake)
Shoreacres
White Bear Yacht Club
Sutton Bay
Lido
Royal Portrush
Castlerock
Portstewart
Ardglass
Royal County Down
Portmarnoch
Landmand

It’s been a pretty good run!

What did you think of Ardglass?

Ciao

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The strategy of the course is a bit rudimentary but the setting is so spectacular you don't mind much at all. The routing is pretty interesting, starting on the cliffs then working down toward a coastal town, back to the cliffs, before going inland. They are sprucing up some of their finishing holes. The 17th is a new par-3 with a pretty backdrop and they are restoring an old stone wall as a feature on the 16th a la North Berwick.

Wonderful people though. If you go, don't miss The Old Commercial Bar just off the parking lot. Perhaps my favorite pub that we visited on our trip.

As its been wet recently, how did it play?
After my one autumnal visit I had trouble seeing it as a links and wonder how much those views elevate its rating?

Greatly enjoyed the welcome and informality.

I was there in August. It was dry & firm during my one play. It's not really a true "links" course but it was fun and I enjoyed the round quite a bit. Multiple people on our trip said they had more fun playing Ardglass than any other course we saw...smiles don't lie!  ;D :)
H.P.S.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #1981 on: Yesterday at 07:08:40 PM »
Hi Matt:

Wondering if you agree with something I wrote in another thread, which is that the courses in our neck of the woods are really differentiating on cost relative to condition? For example, I played earlier this month a Metropolitan, and found the course conditions pretty poor. They're struggling to keep grass on the fairways. Anything that is in decent condition in the Bay Area is $100+ on the weekends to walk, or you have to play as a single at 2 p.m., which I hate. Last Sunday I got up a 0-dark-thirty to drive from San Jose to Stockton to play at Spanos Park, which I really enjoyed because it was in decent condition.
Jeff, I think we may have very different perspectives on things, but I am basically a match play zealot so conditions are significantly less important to me. The conditions at Metropolitan were imperfect. Ironically, the biggest criticisms I had were the soggy sections resulting from over-watering, probably in an attempt to account for the occasional bits of patchiness here and there. I tend to find firm-fast-but-patchy to be totally fine and playable, especially for a links-like course.

It was a 5+ hour round in 20+ mph non-prevailing winds (PCC +1), and I put up my highest score since Feb 2002, so yea, sub-optimal, but none of that stuff really bothers me much. I was just happy to be at a thoughtfully designed course with a good friend. I think #10 is one of the better holes in the Bay Area, and while I do have some criticisms of the back nine, on the whole it's thumbs up from me.

I only wish I'd won the match  >:(

Obviously, anyone in the Bay Area, reach out if you want to play a round together. I'm always happy to meet up with other golf architecture nerds.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:15:52 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GCA Browser Addon v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

My stuff:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back