News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Golf Digest Ballot Stuffing Contest
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
Sven,

Next time you see Mike Keiser have him tell you about the time they flew a bunch of golf writers out to Bandon on the New York Knicks private plane.  It was a real hoot when a crowd gathered on the tarmac in hopes of seeing professional basketball players and a group of writers departed.  Does sound like a cool trip.  Did I say Like.

Sorry, I'm not going to bite on this one.  Go sell provocation somewhere else.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

It also doesn't surprise me that the Bandon courses are doing little to no self-promotion.  

Sven,

I was not trying to be provocative or asking you to bite.  I simply didn't want you to think that the Bandon Resort was above self-promotion.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »

It also doesn't surprise me that the Bandon courses are doing little to no self-promotion.  

Sven,

I was not trying to be provocative or asking you to bite.  I simply didn't want you to think that the Bandon Resort was above self-promotion.

John,

Perhaps I should have refined my comment to the GD contest.  I am fully aware the folks at Bandon do plenty of marketing, including efforts to show the raters the courses. 

Consider it akin to a football touchdown celebration.  Wolf Creek is looking like Deion, Bandon is Barry. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

Adam,

I believe the Colton poll to be reasonably accurate but I have read most of what two guys who skipped Bandon Dunes have also read. I seriously have to question my own opinion in light of theirs. I find it insulting to Mike Keiser that anyone, yet 10% of a sample, would skip his original vision.  

Saying people are insulting is pretty choice coming from you John. Mike Keiser is not insulted by taking people's money to play his courses. Besides, having played Tetherow, my intention was to insult Kidd, not Keiser. ;) Actually I had fully intended to play Bandon Dunes, but the resort's inability to get people around one of their courses in under 5 hours influenced my not playing Bandon Dunes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

Adam,

I believe the Colton poll to be reasonably accurate but I have read most of what two guys who skipped Bandon Dunes have also read. I seriously have to question my own opinion in light of theirs. I find it insulting to Mike Keiser that anyone, yet 10% of a sample, would skip his original vision.  

Saying people are insulting is pretty choice coming from you John. Mike Keiser is not insulted by taking people's money to play his courses. Besides, having played Tetherow, my intention was to insult Kidd, not Keiser. ;) Actually I had fully intended to play Bandon Dunes, but the resort's inability to get people around one of their courses in under 5 hours influenced my not playing Bandon Dunes.

Sorry, but in defense of the Bandon Resort, I have to call Bravo Sierra on your claim of a 5 hour round.  One of the things I don't like about Pacific Dunes is how easy they set the course up so the Dead Heads can push you around like so many seeds on a discarded McDonalds food tray.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
I can't recall ever playing a five-hour round at Bandon, no matter the conditions or the company.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PThomas

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
this kind of ballot stuffing reminds me of some Chicago elections
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »

Adam,

Sorry, but in defense of the Bandon Resort, I have to call Bravo Sierra on your claim of a 5 hour round.  One of the things I don't like about Pacific Dunes is how easy they set the course up so the Dead Heads can push you around like so many seeds on a discarded McDonalds food tray.

How nice of you not to give up your insult slinging habits for my benefit. My round at Pacific Dunes took 5 hours 20 minutes in a threesome. What I found was bizarre was that the marshals were communicating by walky talky about getting groups in front of us to let us through even though we could see it was stacked up in front of us, and seemed obvious we would not be going any faster if they did. I have since wondered if they knew there was someone with a public forum in the group that they wanted to give special treatment too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Adam,

How nice of you not to give up your insult slinging habits for my benefit. My round at Pacific Dunes took 5 hours 20 minutes in a threesome. What I found was bizarre was that the marshals were communicating by walky talky about getting groups in front of us to let us through even though we could see it was stacked up in front of us, and seemed obvious we would not be going any faster if they did. I have since wondered if they knew there was someone with a public forum in the group that they wanted to give special treatment too.

Garland,

I am not insulting you, I am saying you are somehow mistaken.  I'm reminded of a recent conversation where a gentleman said that when he lost his virginity it took him 45 minutes to orgasm.  I don't believe him either or think he is a liar.  Conceptual time keeping is an interesting phenomena which explains why I removed the digital clock from my bed stand.  Maybe you teed off later than planned, or maybe you simply miscalculated the time between start and finish.  It doesn't make you a bad person to be wrong.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

Adam,

Sorry, but in defense of the Bandon Resort, I have to call Bravo Sierra on your claim of a 5 hour round.  One of the things I don't like about Pacific Dunes is how easy they set the course up so the Dead Heads can push you around like so many seeds on a discarded McDonalds food tray.

Garland,

I am not insulting you, I am saying you are somehow mistaken.  I'm reminded of a recent conversation where a gentleman said that when he lost his virginity it took him 45 minutes to orgasm.  I don't believe him either or think he is a liar.  Conceptual time keeping is an interesting phenomena which explains why I removed the digital clock from my bed stand.  Maybe you teed off later than planned, or maybe you simply miscalculated the time between start and finish.  It doesn't make you a bad person to be wrong.

You've been on this website long enough and read my posts enough to know I am very concerned with pace of play. So saying you don't believe me when I give you the stats on a round on an issue I am concerned about is an insult no matter how you spin it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:09:54 PM by Garland Bayley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
Garland,

Are you sure you didn't play 36 holes.  You seem to be repeating yourself.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Garland,

Are you sure you didn't play 36 holes.  You seem to be repeating yourself.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  ::)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »

I doubt it could be coincidence that Bandon Dunes started following me on Twitter today.  You just never know who is listening.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:57:00 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolf-Creek-Golf-Club-Mesquite-NV/125209116504?sk=wall

Is that a screen shot or their actual current page?

They only have 822 Likes, which brings this voting thing into an even more suspicious light.

I wouldn't hang your hat on the 10 guys who skipped Bandon Dunes. It could easily be as simple as someone not placing them in the 0 category, becuse they mis-understood the instructions.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back