News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Panmure Golf Club
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
Alistair Tait referenced it in his Golfweek piece here: http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/jul/31/tait-women-need-more-links-golf-opportunities/

so I thought I'd dig around and this is what I came up with on this fabled forum...

From Kyle Henderson}   http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41122.0.html

Anything to add? Other courses in the Carnoustie vicinity?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Tepper

Re: Panmure Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »
Stan Dodd has posted a very favorable review of Panmure here in the past.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
I unfortunately didn't get a chance to play any of them while I was in Scotland last year but Panmure, The Medal course at Monifieth next door and Montrose links further round the coast going north were highly recommended to me and will be on my list next time I am up that way.

I believe Panmure is where Hogan practiced before he won the Open at Carnoustie. The story goes that they let him go out and cut the 6th hole himself so he could create the type of setup that would be used at the Open and let him practice out there whenever he wanted!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Ron,
Panmure Golf Club was where I caddied through the 1960s. In essence it was a private golf club in those days and was the stamping ground for most of the well-heeled industry leaders, business men, lawyers and other professionals. An abiding memory is one of the smell of whisky exuding from the pores of these members! My man was a Tom Long, the part owner of Bonar&Long a major steel manufacturer in Dundee. Poor Tom was an awful golfer and really struggled in getting into a foursome never mind getting the ball into the hole. The other lad I remember was Will (?) Scarlett the owner of a linoleum production factory in Kirkcaldy and another millionaire. Now his name was apt as the air used to be blue, his language purple, his face puce and his countenance often black as he charted his way around the course! He didn't suffer fools gladly and God forbid that you failed to see where a wildly errant ball of his came to rest.

Indeed it was the course that Ben Hogan, "the wee ice mon", practised on in relative seclusion. It is now available to the public and I think it is typical of the links courses which abound in the region but do not have the pedigree of the famous Open rota courses. From memory there are no views of the Tay estuary/North Sea but linksland it most certainly is.  Monifieth, already mentioned is another very sound course and its baby brother, Ashludie, is short but very interesting. Ashludie is where this tragic idled away many a summer's day playing 36 holes at sixpence a round. In the same mould as Ashludie is Burnside, adjacent to Carnoustie and that is where  I struck my first golf ball on a golf course. Yes, yes it was the proverbial slice onto the Aberdeen-Dundee railway line. Och, halcyon days.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom Kelly

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:04 AM »
Colin, I had almost forgotten about the Burnside course at Carnoustie, its  not a bad little course and pretty cheap as well. A few decent holes if I remember rightly and worth a wander down if your in the area with an afternoon free.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »
Gordon Jones provides this run-through on his home course:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/panmure-golf-club/

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
Colin:

Any experience playing Arbroath?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »

Phil

What about your Smokie, yes your Arbroath Smokie.

Enjoy

Melvyn

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

Phil

What about your Smokie, yes your Arbroath Smokie.

Enjoy

Melvyn

With some good Cullen skink! :D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

Phil

Your order sir

Melvyn

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
Thank you, sir!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back