News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Effective Use of a Property's Corner
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »
I'm fond of holes whose green is tucked into the corner of a property.  Thankfully someone pulled forward Sean Arble's Huntercombe thread as the second hole there prompted this post.  There is a certain intimacy to these holes I like.  Also, they typically have strategic merit from the tee:  Does one flirt with the boundary from the tee so the approach can be played away from same.  Or does one play conservatively wide from the tee, only to stare into the boundary/tree line angling beyond the green.  Also, a simple feature, perhaps a modest bunker or the fabulous cop at Huntercombe's 2nd really tests the player's ability and confidence on the approach.  The lesser talent is forced to sneak up on the green with a flanking move. 

It seems many Golden Age courses feature great corners, likely because the sites were more contricted and also generally rectangular when on an infill, platted parcel.  

What are your favorite corners in golf?

Mike
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:12:06 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

Re: Effective Use of a Property's Corner
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
Amen Corner and The Horrible Horseshoe are the first two that come to mind.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
a corner boundary sometimes has the ability to allow for a short par 3 and the corresponding next teeing ground to be worked into a routing.  if there is a bit of topo in that corner all the better.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
Mike:

I know of a pretty neat one here in Wisconsin in which the green is tucked into the far corner of the property, bounded on two sides (left and back) by OB. What makes it strategically interesting is that the hole is a reachable par 5, with the chance of a blind second shot into the green.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
Beverly's two nines are each rectangles, so there are corner opportunities aplenty.  Ross did an ingenious job of making interesting corner holes.  The fourth hole is a boomerang dogleg left hole that deals with the northeast corner of the property.  Ron Prichard added a big bunker at the inner turn to add more difficulty and visual appeal.  The next hole, the fifth, starts at the northwest corner and is a straight uphill par 4 to a plateau green, probably one of the most iconic par four holes in Chicago.  Then, the ninth hole is another dogleg left (though not as sharp as the 4th), to a figure 8 green turned at a devilish angle to the fairway, leaving a difficult second shot from almost anywhere in the fairway.

On the back, the 10th is a 190 yard par three that is squeezed diagonally into the northwest corner of the back nine's rectangle.  This is probably the best example of utilizing a small amount of space to design a great par 3 hole.  Then, the 13th is a great straightaway par 4 with a blind tee shot that plays from the southwest to the southeast corner of the property.

One of the charms of Beverly is that you play on two big rectangles, but the several corner holes are so good that it doesn't feel at all repetetive.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
The Old Course?

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
How about the 3rd and 4th holes at Fenway?

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
Beverly's two nines are each rectangles, so there are corner opportunities aplenty.  Ross did an ingenious job of making interesting corner holes.  The fourth hole is a boomerang dogleg left hole that deals with the northeast corner of the property.  Ron Prichard added a big bunker at the inner turn to add more difficulty and visual appeal.  The next hole, the fifth, starts at the northwest corner and is a straight uphill par 4 to a plateau green, probably one of the most iconic par four holes in Chicago.  Then, the ninth hole is another dogleg left (though not as sharp as the 4th), to a figure 8 green turned at a devilish angle to the fairway, leaving a difficult second shot from almost anywhere in the fairway.

On the back, the 10th is a 190 yard par three that is squeezed diagonally into the northwest corner of the back nine's rectangle.  This is probably the best example of utilizing a small amount of space to design a great par 3 hole.  Then, the 13th is a great straightaway par 4 with a blind tee shot that plays from the southwest to the southeast corner of the property.

One of the charms of Beverly is that you play on two big rectangles, but the several corner holes are so good that it doesn't feel at all repetetive.

Terry:

Do you think the big hitters feel hemmed in at Beverly's 4th? Maybe that's the intent -- two of the guys I played with on the US Mid-Am media day two years ago hit the dang wall, or came darn close to it. But it does have a good deal of strategic interest, because it seems you want to be as close as possible for your approach, because that's a tough, raised green to hit surrounded by trouble. You really have to work the ball there.

I really liked that par 3 10th -- a very nice hole that's snugged in tight to the clubhouse and rail line.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
On the back, the 10th is a 190 yard par three that is squeezed diagonally into the northwest corner of the back nine's rectangle.  This is probably the best example of utilizing a small amount of space to design a great par 3 hole. 

Terry, Beverly's 10th is a great example where a hole is routed in space that many would have considered an afterthought.   Instead Ross routed the hole right toward the corner.  It nicely sets up what I think is among the best 8 hole finishing stretches anywhere.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
The 6th at Seminole is the best I've seen.  The boundaries come into play with OB right and long and the land mainly feeds towards the right.

The best position is to hug the left side off the tee but you have to contend with a series of bunkers and the ball below your feet for your second.  Coming in from the right gives a somewhat flatter lie but brings in more bunkers to carry from that angle.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »
Bogey

Funny you mention Huntercombe's 2nd as a corner hole.  I would have said the third is even better.  The green is hard on the OBB line left with a property (or two or three?) behind.  The entire shape of the hole pushes toward the OBB with the outrageous green is the kicker.

While not exactly a corner, but certainly a dead end, St Enodoc's 4th is a cracker in how the boundary line is used very well. 

An incomparably great use of a corner is Pennard's 16th.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

john_stiles

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
The  11th  at Saunton East is a good example of using a property corner.   The hole is a dog leg right with a property line running across the direct line to the green, and then property line makes a sharp 90 degree bend forming the corner of the dog leg.  This bend is about the distance you want to carry a drive.   The property line runs on the right side of the fairway,  parallel to the fairway, all the way past the green.   Once you reach the bend in the dogleg,  there is also a deep small drainage feature, 3 feet wide, that runs just inside the property line, and on past the green as well.  The drainage ditch runs down the property line, and is immediately between the green and the property line.   There is only about a 6 foot fringe between the green and ditch.  You can chip across the green and into the hazard fairly easily.  You essentially drive left of the property corner and if you push it right, you still have to go over the OB /fenced property, cutting across the property.  It is shorter but leaves a difficult shot that is semi-blind.

If you hit towards the green you are aiming just left of the 90 degree sharp corner of the property line. Long hitters have to take the proper longer route left, as they may drive through the fairway and out of bounds.  Long hitters trying to reach the center of the fairway over the property corner always have to worry about slicing the ball out of bounds.   Imagine some long hitters can cut the corner.

For my one play, the hole played into a good wind. It is a short par 4 and my drive faded right, and into the wind, I was short of property line.  My second was the most interesting shot of the trip, across the corner, to a green that was just next to the ditch and property line.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:57:34 PM by john_stiles »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I think one of the great things about Hanse's routing of the Craighead course at Crail is how he fits so many holes into corners of an oddly shaped property.  Arguably each of 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14 are boxed into a corner at the green end of the hole.  10, 13 and 14 are the best of these, a short (driveable) par 4 with the boundary with the Balcomie course hard on the left and a wall and trees behind the green, a shortish par 3 with OOB (over a wall) hard on the left and slightly further behind and a long par 4 with the North Sea hard all the way down the left of the hole and a cape style green surrounded by the sea on the left and a wall behind.  With serious crap on the left of both 11 and 12 that part of the course is a hooker's nightmare!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »

Terry:

Do you think the big hitters feel hemmed in at Beverly's 4th? Maybe that's the intent -- two of the guys I played with on the US Mid-Am media day two years ago hit the dang wall, or came darn close to it. But it does have a good deal of strategic interest, because it seems you want to be as close as possible for your approach, because that's a tough, raised green to hit surrounded by trouble. You really have to work the ball there.

I really liked that par 3 10th -- a very nice hole that's snugged in tight to the clubhouse and rail line.

Phil,

I think the dogleg is awfully sharp on #4.  The effect of the dogleg is then exacerbated by the out-of-bounds fence on the outside of the dogleg.  The difficulty/fairness of the hole is also impacted by a fifty foot locust tree that is right in front of the bunker on the inside of the turn.  To me, this tree should be removed, inasmuch as the bunker exists to challenge/punish golfers who try to bite off too much of the dogleg.  Were that tree not there, the correct risky play would be unencumbered and players would try to carry the bunker at a sharp angle and keep the ball in the fairway.  If they hit it too far, it goes in the rough or out of bounds.  If they hit it too short, it goes in the bunker, leaving a very challenging 165 yard + bunker shot.  The tree exists to save a shot destined for the bunker or to dissuade the aggressive play off the tee.  Both are bad uses in my judgment.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
Holes 6-8 at Merion West are a really neat way to use the corner of the property.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
Michael:

You should make a point of going to see the nine-hole course at Royal Worlington & Newmarket someday.  About half the holes seem to be "corner holes" of one type or another, and there are some terrific ones in there -- par-3 2nd with the third tee hitting over its green, par-5 4th, par-3 5th (sort of), and par-4 9th.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back