News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Gentlemen,

SEE BOTTOM OF THREAD FOR UPDATE

So far this year, we have convened three times - at Royal St. Metropolitan, Monarch Bay National, and the Crystal Springs Club.  No fewer than (by unofficial count) 11 GCA members have taken part in what I hope will be a fine tradition of golf, light architecture discussion, and minimal cursing.

Our next outing may test the goal of minimal cursing.  While I'm not sure that we are ready for ancient Greek-style democracy, I'm going to leave the location open for discussion since we have several weeks before the date.  Keep in mind course quality, greens fees, and location.

UPDATE:  Sharp Park will be the venue based on our offer below.

So far we have the following participants:

Likelies:
Joel Lahrman
David Tepper
Ted Cahill
Bill Ward
Patrick Kiser
Dave Herrick

Maybe:
Alex S
Keith Doleshel
Kyle Henderson
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:04:31 AM by JLahrman »

Ted Cahill

Re: Bay Area Mini-Event, course TBD - Sunday, August 28
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Count me in. I have not played any of these courses- so I'm game for whatever the consensus is.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
Excellent.  This will be Mr. Cahill's second appearance, which will earn him Silver status.

Who else?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
I'm not in the bay are anymore, but i'll make a recommendation.

Delta View is a fun course out in Pittsburg where supposedly the original 9 holes were envisioned/specified by none other than Dr. MacK himself.. (unconfirmed in the interest of full disclosure)

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Kalen.

However, there is some breaking news.

We have had an offer from the SF Public Alliance to meet with us to review the past, present & future of Sharp Park should we decide to play there. That sounds like an offer given the the interest that this course receives on GCA, and I'd like to suggest that we make Sharp Park the venue.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:50:12 PM by JLahrman »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Kalen.

However, there is some breaking news.

We have had an offer from the SF Public Alliance to meet with us to review the past, present & future of Sharp Park should be decide to play there. That sounds like an offer given the the interest that this course receives on GCA, and I'd like to suggest that we make Sharp Park the venue.

+1 JLah,

Sounds like a great opportunity indeed.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »
Joel -

I'm in for Sharp on Aug. 28.

DT

astavrides

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
please consider me as a probably.

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 02:30:25 AM »
I have yet to make my debut in a Bay Area GCA mini-event, but if Sharp Park is the venue I will try my hardest to make it.  Especially if the SFPGA is willing to meet with the group.  I have only played Sharp once, but it would be a great place to not only play, but also to meet with people who care deeply about keeping the golf course open.  Good suggestion.

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Bay Area Mini-Event - Sharp Park? - Sunday, August 28
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
Sorry to say these events haven't worked with my (kids) sports-filled weekends, and August 28th unfortunately will not be an exception.  Have fun and thanks for organizing.  Hope conditions at Sharp are decent.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Keenan

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Unlikely I will be able to play on the 28th BUT if at all possible I would like to attend the SFPGA section.  Any idea on time it will take place at. I assume it will be at Sharp Park.

Thanks
John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
John, not sure of the exact time yet but we will keep you posted.

Kevin, good to hear from you and hopefully we can get you into one of these!

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
Gentlemen,

Let's bump this back up.  No reason to not get a good crowd.  It's Sharp Park, an oft-discussed course here.  Surely some of you are eager to see it for the first time.  As an added bonus, I will be performing a vivesection of a California Red-Legged Frog on the 18th green after the round.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:31:10 PM by JLahrman »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
Gentlemen,

Let's bump this back up.  No reason to not get a good crowd.  It's Sharp Park, an oft-discussed course here.  Surely some of you are eager to see it for the first time.  As an added bonus, I will be performing a vivesection of a California Red-Legged Frog on the 18th green after the round.

So far we have the following participants:

Likelies:
Joel Lahrman
David Tepper
Ted Cahill

Maybe:
Alex Stavrides
Keith Doleshel

In addition to the biology experiment, it'd be nice if one of the participants could do a full hole by hole course review along the way.  It'd be good to see where its at and discuss what it could possibly become again.

Thanks again JLahr...wish I was still living by the bay to come out for this one.

Bill Ward

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
count me in for the 28th and thanks for setting it up. 

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
In addition to the biology experiment, it'd be nice if one of the participants could do a full hole by hole course review along the way.  It'd be good to see where its at and discuss what it could possibly become again.

There is one man who I have in mind for this job.  Unfortunately he has not replied to the thread yet.  But he cannot hide forever.

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »
count me in for the 28th and thanks for setting it up. 

Excellent.  Mr. Ward will be achieving Silver status.

Patrick Kiser

Re: Bay Area Mini-Event - Sharp Park - Sunday, August 28
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Out...

On the east coast as it were.

For those going, do check out the rather nice aerial in the restaurant.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
Out...

Dammit Patrick, I was going to pawn off the job of photography and commentary to you.

Now I have to look for another victim.  I mean cataloguer.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Out...

Dammit Patrick, I was going to pawn off the job of photography and commentary to you.

Now I have to look for another victim.  I mean cataloguer.

Huh?? Patrick?? You should be after Kyle!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
Kyle is one of the premier photograhers/commentators on the site, and would do a great job of course.  But Patrick has a particular affinity and I would love to hear his input.

I'm sure Patrick will comment if someone else takes the pictures though.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
My thing is I don't always have the time or ... patience to check in on a thread ongoing to see the progress.  So I do slideshows for myself where you can get a feel for a course and round.  It's just another perspective and not necessarily better or worse.  Works for me.  The pics are usually just ok.  Not of the best quality because I'm not spending any time at all in snapping them.  It's almost photo journalist like in nature.  Plus I use a small pocket camera that can do a lot, but only so much.  I can sometimes take 300-400 pics in a single round.  Yes ... my lack of game tends to suffer as a result, but not always.  Then I'll edit for the slideshow.  The editing can get sketchy...  I think I still keep too many in the end.

Anyway, Kyle's got photographic memory.  I swear he does.  He'll remember a round and course he played ten years ago and can recall this hole and that hole and ... he's played it only once!  Wish I could do that...

Here's what I'll say about Sharp...

A LOT of MacKenzie is still there.  A LOT...  Just not very much in play because it's largely lying dormant and would need to be recovered.  And I'm not talking about the two ocean holes others and I have mentioned previously.  If you take a close look during the round and observe the old aerials, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have no hopes of ever seeing what's still there recovered ... let alone maintained long term, because it would take a huge commitment.  However, the crew is doing a better job from what I can tell.  The course seems in better shape as of late.

Here's a little momento to wet the appetite... and things to keep an eye out for.

Have fun out there.

Bunker left of current par 3 15th (old 11th).  Notice old bunker outline is right there... and compare to the close up aerial.  There are cases like this all over the course...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:24:28 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
I will be more than happy to take the photographs.

Although my pictures are usually taken from angles that are a good 30 yards off the intended line of play.

JLahrman

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thought I would bring this back up, as we are needing to finalize the number of tee times.

Looks like Mr. Kiser may be able to join.

Hoping some others will come out to play as well.

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »

What time?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back