News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Nugent

Irrigation under the collar
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
Does anybody have a good explaination for this?  Have you ever seen it?  Would you want on your course?
Coasting is a downhill process

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Irrigation under the collar
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
I dont understand what you mean Tim.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Adrian, I’m refering to the intalling of the greens loop irrigation within the green, under the collar as opposed to outside the collar.  I have a client who wants to do this and I’m at a loss as to why, except that it’s easier.  I can’t see any benefit but several negatives.  Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this.
Coasting is a downhill process

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
Typically they are on the frog hair a foot or so off the green, right?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
Tim - I usually have a ring drain all around the edge of my greens so any ingressing water gets straight into the drains. I do not include the irrigation pipes in these although it would be convienent and I am sure we get close to them sometimes. Spotting little leaks would be my main concern. For the amount of cost saving say $150 per green??? I dont think its worth the risk and I cant see any other benifit either, I think its best to keep them seperate systems.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
I guess nothing is more fun than an irrigation leak removing part of your green...

Tim
Is your client wearing a straight jacket and has he been found lurking around Tom Pauls barn for years?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Tim,

Its a good idea to have sprinklers that cover the collars. The collar turf needs more water than the putting turf because it is a longer cut (more grass) and it uses more water on a dry day. So to keep the green firm you need to hand water the collar rather than turn the large sprinklers on to water the collars. The collar sprinklers will save on handwatering horus, and in overall water usgae - you';ll find that you can go a lot longer without firing up the large sprinklers.

Often the collar sprinklers are fed by poly pipe and the tendancy is to trench poly pipe in to a shallow level of say 4 to 6 inches. But be advised not to do that because now you won't be able to deep tine the collar or cleanup pass of the green or you'll punch holes in the poly pipe.

Any piping that you do around the collars needs to be at least 12 inches deep.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back