News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael George

Old/Out of the Way Courses
« on: July 28, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »

Watching the golf at Old White and Inverness this week and Old MacDonald at the Pub Links, I got thinking about what older or out of the way golf courses would you most like to see the Tour players on.  I am not considering those courses that just don't want the tours on them - ie. Pine Valley and Cypress Point.   Just those courses that we don't get to see ever on TV.  I did not consider what would be a strong test against Tour players - just those courses that would be fun to watch them on.

Here is my list:

Old Courses:

1  National Golf Links - the obvious choice.  Would give time for the media to give NGLA the recognition it deserves for what it did for American golf.
2  Shoreacres - from pictures that I have seen, it looks completely different than other championship Chicago courses.
3  Country Club (Pepper Pike) - the most underrated golf course that I have ever played.  A great Flynn design.  Miles ahead of Firestone in Northeast Ohio where the Tour currently plays.

HM - Kittansett, SFGC, Myopia.  I realize that many of the pros would kill these courses, but it would just be fun to watch them play some of the holes that are discussed at length on this string.

Out of the Way Courses:

1  Crystal Downs - would they try to drive the short par 4s or lay up
2  Sand Hills - just to see the course
3  All 4 Bandon courses - I enjoyed the Pub Links so much, I cannot imagine how good a large, full crew production would be.

HM - Ballyneal, Kingsley, Dismal River, Wade Hampton

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Dan Herrmann

Re: Old/Out of the Way Courses
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
Michael - I was fortunate enough to play Sand Hills earlier this month.  Trust me, it's as good as you think it is. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:12 AM »
Fishers Island or San Francisco

Barnbougle or Lost Farm
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:07:34 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Steve Salmen

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
If persimmon and balata were the fashion, Lawsonia (IMO) could host the US Open.  Of course, that could be said of many old courses.

It is both old and very out of the way.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
Prairie Dunes
Royal Dornoch
Greywalls
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
Im not sure you can consider NGLA out of the way, as Shinnecock is right next door and has seen tournament action

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »
After reading the thread again I realized that it was for old OR out of the way, only one criterium needed to qualify...
under those premises I would say Royal Dornoch qualifies both ways, but a nice addition to the old list would be
Pine Valley
Garden City
Seminole
Camargo

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

I would like to hear what they would have to say about the blind shots at NGLA.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »

Askernish, South Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland - now that is out of the way, hell it was lost for over 70 years, is that not out of the way enough for you?

Royal Dornoch is not out of the way, its just past Tain and before Bora, another out of the way course is Machrihanish and of course Machrie on Islay.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »

Cruden Bay

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »

A G

Cruden Bay is nearly on the main Highway, out of the way, come on Anthony Scotland is out of the way.

Melvyn

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »

Askernish, South Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland - now that is out of the way, hell it was lost for over 70 years, is that not out of the way enough for you?

Royal Dornoch is not out of the way, its just past Tain and before Bora, another out of the way course is Machrihanish and of course Machrie on Islay.

Melvyn

Royal Dornoch is easily more out of the way than NGLA or almost any of the above mentioned US courses.  From Inverness it's an hour, but from the rest of Scotland it's about 2-3 hours minimum

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
Prairie Dunes
Royal Dornoch
Greywalls

Prairie Dunes just had the Senior Open within the last 5 years or so.

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
Alex,

If you don't mind me asking, why Camargo?

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
Alex,

If you don't mind me asking, why Camargo?

Kevin,

The OP had mentioned Shoreacres.  Both Shoreacres and Camargo were layer out by Raynor, and both can be fun and interesting courses.
Camargo has a dramatic property with a great set of par 3s and some stellar par 4s.
Its one of Cincinnati's best.

Will Lozier

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »
Alex:

Camargo IS Cinci's best!  By a long shot.  It may be Ohio's best.

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
I am very familiar with Camargo.  I've been working there this summer, so I am 100% bias towards it.  I just don't think it would be a very interesting test for top players.  I am a decently long player (~280 off the tee) and I am often hitting wedge to 8 irons into greens.  Even the Am's during the qualifier every year light it up.  I think it is an incredible track for the average club player (scratch and up), but I don't think it has the defenses against world class players.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back