News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Re: Pine Valley and Topos
« Reply #750 on: September 09, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
David,

You can see what's in front of the green in this picture, unless you're arguing that the front of the bunker was higher than the back of it.

Are you trying to tell us that the flagstick would not be viewable from the fairway at 200 yards or more from the tee?

As far as "down in the valley," is the picture taken from below the elevated 10th tee or not?

The people on the top right are just coming up to the crest of the hill on 10.   Can you see significant elevation change from there to the green?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:35:52 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #751 on: September 09, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Cirba just doesn't get it.  Those who were there and knew described the hole as blind.  Misrepresenting old photos taken from obtuse angles and from elevation won't change this. 

Perhaps we should put Cirba in an eight foot hole, and if we can see him from 150 yards away we'll come and get him out. 

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

JESII

« Reply #752 on: September 09, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Those who were there and knew described the hole as blind.  Misrepresenting old photos taken from obtuse angles and from elevation won't change this.  

Which begs the question of why not more of an effort to imitate the original and/or NGLA version of the Alps?

Surely we all agree that the discomfort of not being able to see the putting surface while playing an approach shot is not insignificant, it pales in comparison to the discomfort caused by not being able to see anything.

David, I understand all of your quotes speaking of the hole being blind...do you think the flag would have been blind?

When Lelsey says the hole required the exact shot as the 17t at Prestwick, it sounds like he was fed the line...

MacWood,

"Buffalo Boy" is priceess...alomst chocked from laughing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:01:36 PM by Jim Sullivan »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #753 on: September 09, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Which articles said the hole was blind?

Does it look like an 8 foot fall from the back of the bunker to the green?

How bout to the back of the green?

How tall would you say the flagstick was?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #754 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
We've gone from an approach just like Prestwick's completely blind shot over a towering sandhill, or like NGLA's uber, higher version, to a green in an 8 foot hole.

Yes, I see CBM's fingerprints all over that one.

DMoriarty

« Reply #755 on: September 09, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
We've gone from an approach just like Prestwick's completely blind shot over a towering sandhill, or like NGLA's uber, higher version, to a green in an 8 foot hole.

Yes, I see CBM's fingerprints all over that one.

This is precisely the sort of pointless posturing that makes Cirba so unbearable.  His smarmy sarcasm aside, there is no question Merion tried to build an Alps hole based on CBM's and HJW's layout plan. And no question that Merion thought they had pretty good alps hole, at least on approach.   All of the Mike's greasy tactics won't change this.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #756 on: September 09, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Mike,

ALL of the contemporaneous reports, from knowledgeable golfers/architecturally aware people describe the hole as blind.

Yet you, who have never seen the hole in it's previous form are arrogantly declaring that they didn't know what they were talking about, individually and collectively.

If you'll examine the photos you posted, especially the one take from the right front of the green, you can see that the people standing at the front of the green are at a higher elevation than the people flanking the green on the left side.

That would indicate that the land fronting the green was higher than the green, serving to block the view from the DZ far back in the fairway.

JESII

« Reply #757 on: September 09, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »

...there is no question Merion tried to build an Alps hole based on CBM's and HJW's layout plan. And no question that Merion thought they had pretty good alps hole, at least on approach.

Oh yes there is...plenty of question.

Remember David, an attorny ADVISNG on a deal does not mean it was his, or her deal.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #758 on: September 09, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »
David,

Now THAT is funny!  No question, huh?   Good judgment there..

Post after post I'm the only one here actually providing contemporaneous evidence and letting people judge for themselves.

All you and the 3 BM's (blind mice) are providing is empty rhetoric and personal insults.

Let's see all of those articles that say the hole is blind.   In fact, let's see any evidence you have of anything relevant.

The articles I found and posted here don't say that.   The closest is Findlay saying the approach is exactly like Prestwick which is ludicrous on the face of it.   Frankly, we have no idea what he meant by that statement and anyone familiar with the property like Sean and Jim will tell you he on heavy drugs or drinking the koolaid.

In the meantime, those actually interested in what CBM and Whigham thought an Alps hole should be can read it in their own words, which seems to greatly differ from David and Patrick's version...there's a big surprise.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #759 on: September 09, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
By the way, this article is from 1914.

I wonder why they neglected to mention the Alps hole they designed at Merion?   ::) :-* ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #760 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
By the way, this article is from 1914.

I wonder why they neglected to mention the Alps hole they designed at Merion?   ::) :-* ;D

Typical Cirba sleaziness. 

First, no one ever claimed CBM built the hole.

Second, by 1914 CBM had designed and/or built a few other Alps holes besides NGLA's. He didn't mention any except NGLA's so there is no reason to expect him to have mentioned Merion's.   

Third, in CBM's and HJW's article on the Redan, CBM not only mentioned NGLA's Redan, he also mentioned a few others, including Piping Rock's, Sleepy Hollow's, and Merion's .  How much will anyone bet that Cirba will not take the corollary position from that as he did from the Alps article?  I'm giving odds.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #761 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »
Getting back to Pine Valley, is the reason that the course was stalled the fact that Crump couldn't figure out. initially, how to get from 11 green to 16 tee because of the swamp that occupied much if not most of the land below # 11. (# 12 and # 13 as well)
And, even though he and/or his advisors had figured # 12 and # 13 out, they couldn't get from # 13 green to # 16 tee due to the swamp ?

Is the conversion of the swamp to a manageable lake/pond the linchpin of the final design ?

Who's the author of the conversion ?

JESII

« Reply #762 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »

Third, in CBM's and HJW's article on the Redan, CBM not only mentioned NGLA's Redan, he also mentioned a few others, including Piping Rock's, Sleepy Hollow's, and Merion's .  How much will anyone bet that Cirba will not take the corollary position from that as he did from the Alps article?  I'm giving odds.

but he ddn't tak credit for it...

Mike Cirba

« Reply #763 on: September 09, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
CBM had serious conflicts with the club leadership at both Sleepy Hollow and Piping Rock.

At Merion, by all accounts, the relationship was hunky-Dory.

Yet, despite a 3 page article right after Merion opened, Whigham and CBM were silent as 3 blind mice.

Why didn't Whigham claim credit then?

Why did he wait 30 years until everyone was dead and buried?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:36:09 AM by MCirba »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #764 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

CBM had serioous conflicts with the club leadership at both Sleepy Hollow and Piping Rock.

Mike
Can you document any of those issues?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #765 on: September 09, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
Tom,

It's all in Scotland' Gift.

At SH, they didn't want CbM to touch any trees...at PR, none of the grounds of the racetrack could be used.

Frankly, I don't think CBM liked being out of control and told what to do as pertained to golf, which was his bailiwick.

Right or wrong, he was extemely close to walking off both jobs.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #766 on: September 09, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
Tom,

It's all in Scotland' Gift.

At SH, they didn't want CbM to touch any trees...at PR, none of the grounds of the racetrack could be used.

Frankly, I don't think CBM liked being out of control and told what to do as pertained to golf, which was his bailiwick.

Right or wrong, he was extemely close to walking off both jobs.

The serious conflicts with Sleepy Hollow and Piping Rock are in SG? What pages?

DMoriarty

« Reply #767 on: September 10, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »
There goes Cirba, making stuff up again.

Which begs the question of why not more of an effort to imitate the original and/or NGLA version of the Alps?
Jim,

They didn't have the landscape for a closer replica.  Do you really expect them to have moved mountains?  Literally?  To me it looks like the focused on the green, and did a decent job with that.  Take a look at the construction photos of CBM's Alps at Lido.  

Surely we all agree that the discomfort of not being able to see the putting surface while playing an approach shot is not insignificant, it pales in comparison to the discomfort caused by not being able to see anything.

David, I understand all of your quotes speaking of the hole being blind...do you think the flag would have been blind?

From the quotes I think it was substantially blind, and the golfer felt like he was hitting over something something substantial. But how would I know for sure whether it was fully blind or not?

I'm not convinced we even know everything that was there yet about what was specifically on the ground, or really even fully understand how large the mounds were short of the green, or how much the green was sunken.  Was there any mounding short of the road?   That would have made a big difference.  

Here is an section of an oblique aerial photo of the green from 1925, after the hole was no longer in use.  

For size perspective, note the automobile on the road, left.  Look at the size of the front mounding. Those look like pretty large mounds, don't they?  They look a lot bigger than the car.  Looking at those mounds one can better understand why the one blurb noted an eight foot slope down to the green from the bunker.  

Also, it looks as if there may have been some additional smaller mounding between the bunker and the road.  And recall from the other photo that ground level on that side of the road was somewhere around six or seven steps above the level of the road. Cirba has blindly speculated that the road was sunken, based on the past blind speculation of his mentors.  From what I can see of the photos, this may be more wishful thinking on their part. I am not certain, but from the photos I have seen it looks as if the road might be terraced with the the ground above the road on the green side and below the road the other.  

So all and all there was some pretty formidable ground, and some larger than expected mounds, to carry to get to the green, which was reportedly sunken eight feet below the front of the the bunker.   That sounds and looks like it could have been completely blind to me.    What do you think?

By the way, take another look at the photo where the steps up the embankment along the road are visible, at what I assumed was sand in the front bunker.  If one zooms in on the image one can see that the white is actually some sort of problem with the photo or else with the copy.  There is straight edge of white above the hats and nothing is visible within the strip. Some of the bystanders legs actually disappear at the knees.  So we cannot see where the mound stops and the sand begins, and we cannot see how far those people lying against the mound had to climb up to get there.

Remember David, an attorny ADVISNG on a deal does not mean it was his, or her deal.

If the advising attorney structured the deal, based the deal on unique terms from other of his past deals, drafted the deal, and had final say over the deal, you would not call it his deal?  Really?  Who then would have been the architect of the deal? The summer intern from the client's office who the attorney was teaching and who took a shot at some editing?

He didn't take credit for Sleepy Hollow or Piping Rock in that article either, so I guess he didn't design those?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:20:32 AM by DMoriarty »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #768 on: September 10, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
The serious conflicts with Sleepy Hollow and Piping Rock are in SG? What pages?

Tom,

Pages 205-206.

Strangely, although he had worked with Raynor by his side for "3 or 4 years" at NGLA, and after NGLA was built and his friends started asking him to build courses for them he immediately hired Raynor for the job.  Yet, he never saw fit to do that at Merion.

He also lists sequentially those jobs yet Merion is strangely missing.

At first I thought perhaps it was a distance thing, yet he mentions St. Louis and White Sulphur Springs as coming right after Piping Rock and Sleepy Hollow.

Perhaps CBM had a thing against Philadelphians?   It seems not uncommon in some circles.

David,

Good picture.   I believe the back mound, which can be seen in the far right of the picture was around 15 feet high.   Just eyeballing it it seems the fronting mound was perhaps close to half that, which could certainly hide a good view of the green and possibly the flagstick in the front hole locations.

However, judging from the picture below, it seems as though the flagsticks were also about 7-8 feet high, which would have been generally visible from mid-to-back hole locations.

We can also get a good sense of what Wilson meant when he said that his Alps "would take a lot of making", because it was certainly a construction job.

However, CBM and Whigham seemed to indicate in their article that the huge fronting  landform that made the hole completely blind was an integral part of an Alps hole.   I'm not sure CBM would have been very proud of this one, frankly.

I guess Merion just took some of the principles of the Alps...a full carry over a cross bunker that Lesley mentioned, and did their best based on what challenge they wanted to provide without being a stickler for details.   Thus, the "redan" with no kicker and a green tilted back to front, and a "Road Hole" with no road, as well.

Perhaps they were also inspired by Travis's work at Garden City?

Even their one-off work at Cobbs Creeks looks to be reflective of the genre.

As far as speculation about mounding short of the road, this 1916 article would seem to indicate not.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:47:40 AM by MCirba »

JESII

« Reply #769 on: September 10, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »

Jim,

They didn't have the landscape for a closer replica.  Do you really expect them to have moved mountains?  Literally?

How about the one behind the green?

I'm curious if you're going to latch on to Cirba's guess that the front mound was 8 feet tall...Mike, if the freaking front mound were 8 feet tall what in gods name have you been arguing about? Nothing I've seen so far justifies close to an 8 foot mound there...maybe up from the 5 foot sunken road...

He didn't take credit for Sleepy Hollow or Piping Rock in that article either, so I guess he didn't design those?

Does he get credit for all the courses mentioned in that article? Let's post the article so we can all see all the courses CBM designed by proxy...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:01:29 AM by Jim Sullivan »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #770 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
What are the Alps holes at either Piping Rock or Sleepy Hollow?

George's book doesn't list any, and I can't think of any at SH that qualify....haven't played PR, sadly.

Sounds like Merion would have been the supposed only one after NGLA, opening in 1912, well in time for the article

Jim,

Alright, five feet.

I was going out of my way to be generous.   That whole "turn the other cheek" thing I learned in Sunday School, you know..

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:40:57 AM by MCirba »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #771 on: September 10, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
As regards CBM's original goals for NGLA, HJ Whigham wrote in 1939;

"...With this in view he traveled England and Scotland to pick out eighteen holes on Britain's great seaside courses.   He had those holes blueprinted so as to reproduce them in America..."

"He did not, it is true, reproduce eighteen classic holes.   The holes he copied in detail were the Redan at North Berwick, the Alps at Prestwick, and the Eden and Road holes at St. Andrews.  Several other holes at the National have features borrowed from Littlestone and Muirfield and elsewhere.  But it very soon became apparent to Macdonald, once he had picked his ground on Peconic Bay, that nature, here too, had her own suggestions and it was far better, and certainly much more amusing to utilize existing features of the land than to copy slavishly from the great masterpieces.  Indeed, what Macdonald actually accomplished was finer than what he had originally planned.  He did produce a course with eighteen great holes, and in doing so created masterpieces of his own which have been reproduced in many parts of America."

Empahsis added is obviously mine.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #772 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »

CBM had serious conflicts with the club leadership at both Sleepy Hollow and Piping Rock.

At Sleepy Hollow he was originally forbidden to cut trees, he met with the leadership, they gave him permission. That is a serious conflict? The same with Piping Rock: "Some of the leading promoters thought golf ephemeral and hunting eternal. Consequently, I had my troubles. The first nine holes were sacrificed to a race-track and polo fields. However, all's well that ends well, for today golf is King and Queen in Locust Valley. I employed Raynor on this job. It would have have been difficult to accomplish it without him. There was too much work and too much interference."

You have a tendency to exaggerate.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #773 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Tom,

Why didn't you quote what CBM wrote about SH?

He called it "an almost impossible task to carry through".

CBM also said he was "almost inclined to throw up the task".

I guess he exaggerated.   We know his son-in-law was so inclined, claiming in 1939 that the National "was the inspiration of every great course in this country..".

There are also no holes at either PR or SH that were Alps holes anyway, so there goes that theory.

Also, I can see why you didn't post what Whigham wrote about CBM's intent to reproduce 18 holes like I asked yesterday.

They simultaneously prove that he did change his mind from his original intent, and they also strongly suggest that CBM routed the course AFTER selecting the property, largely using natural features instead of slavish copies.

Off to play golf...you guys have fun parsing CBM and Whigham....and trying to find Alps holes at SH and PR.  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:05:05 AM by MCirba »

JESII

« Reply #774 on: September 10, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
Mike,

The Piping Rock and Sleepy Hollow references were about the Redan. David was using the inclusion of Merion's Redan in that chapter as evidence that CBM had designed it because he also designed PR and SH...on that logic he also designed Pine Valley...I wonder what Harry Colt would think...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back