News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Pine Valley and Topos
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Mike,

The picture you posted was taken AFTER the course had been cleared of trees.

As David Moriarty indicated, you're incapable of understanding linear thinking and logic.

And, the vantage point from which the picture is taken is NOT visible from the RR Tracks.

It's truly mind boggling that you eagerly and continuously defend myths without any bona fide, concrete evidence to support them.

It would appear as though you're not interested in the factual history of these clubs,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
Jim,

Are you saying that in the roughly 60 mile train trip from Philly to AC, which equates to 316,800 feet, that Crump saw, in a forrested stretch of 4,000 feet, the great site for PV ?

At 60 miles and hour that's less than 50 seconds of viewing time, IF there was a view through the trees and to locations elevated well above the tracks.

It's a nice story, but the physical facts don't support the myth.

Now, Mike Cirba is declaring that he didn't see the site, only the rolling terrain.

I don't know how a passenger would see anything through the dense forest adjacent to the tracks, especially in a limited 50 second window.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
Mike
So do you think my explanation makes more sense than Tilly's?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Mike

Tom,

It makes a helluva lot more sense than Patrick's High-Speed Rail through south Jersey in 1910 nonsense.   Of course, after his imagined Super-Highway on the end of Long Island in 1906 I've come to expect this from him.

What Patrick is failing to realize, simply because he evidently can't be bothered to actually read, much less research any of this on his own, is that this was the site of the Sumner Train STATION, where the train would STOP, and let passengers ON and OFF.   Pretty difficult to do this at 60mph without loss of life and limb, I'll admit, but there you have it.

Later, that train station simply became known as Pine Valley.

Because I don't care about the history of any of these clubs, later today I'll be speaking with the head of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines Rail Historical Society, who provided me with information on Friday related to the station in question.   I've asked him what he thought might be viewable from that train in terms of the land in question, which he's extremely familiar with, having grown up in Pine Hill and having been a fireman at several blazes at Pine Valley.   I'll let folks know what he says.

In the meantime, this same question to Tom Paul, who is extremely familiar with the land in question, garnered this response;

First of all, the land of Pine Valley in 1910-1912 was not exactly heavily forested, at least not in the same way it looks and is today. It may've looked that way in early aerials ( a solely vertical perspective) but on the ground the trees were small and spindly with a great deal of undergrowth. Some years ago I had a long conversation with Mel Dickenson at one of the Lesley Cups Matches, I think we were in Montreal, about the geological history of PV. Mel was a highly educated geo-scientist and he was PV's president right after Ernie Ransome. He believes the site of PV probably experienced a general forest fire or perhaps was just comprehensively logged (you do realize, don't you how completely some areas of the Eastern US were logged in the mid to late 19th century for ship building and just the general use of lumber?). Anyway Mel believes the trees of PV when Crump found it was a "second growth" that may've been less than 15-20 years old and the on-ground photos of it in the teens would support that theory. Plus Rick Sides discovered recently that the site was a sand mining operation. It was owned by the Lumberton Sand Co that belonged to the Ireland family.

From the train tracks you could see right up the 2nd (although the back of the 2nd tee was raised somewhat as was the entire 1st green). You could see right across the 1st hole to the triangulation where Mel Dickenson's house is and the 4th and up its hill. You could see the entire area the township building and the Ayshire replicate buildings are in and everything to the 1st hole side of it is on and including the clubhouse area. Of course you could see down along the entire 18th which has a pond to the right of it that is all below the RR tracks. As you proceed backwards along the 18th the land starts to rise near the tee and continues to rise for most of the second half of #17 which creates a bank down to the tracks. From there the land descends again around the first half of #17 and the water works behind it. It continues down from the middle of the 17th to the tee and stays flat behind the water works and drops down some more near the new 15th tee and 14th green (that area was once basically swamp) all the way along the 14th hole until it begins to rise again going up the tee. Therefore one could've seen across the land that is today some of the 17th the 16th, the 15th and right up the ridge to the right of the 13th.

The RR track bed is somewhat raised and considering a man sitting in a train car in that era would be at least seven feet above the RR tracks one could obviously see a lot of that part of the site from a train.

I have never been on a train on that line but Mayor Ott and I used to ride all over that course in his cart just checking stuff out (he had his own golf cart in his garage). And I really know that area because some years ago I got clobbered by Gary Cowan in the Crump Cup (losing on the 14th hole) and we just walked with our caddies all the way along the maintenance road that parallels the RR tracks from the 14th hole all the way back to the end of the 18th on the right.

So, Tom...related to your question, this is what I think;

1) Crump hunted in south Jersey as a young boy, and throughout his life and was likely familiar with the land in question prior to the train ride.

2) Crump perhaps had the discovery, connecting the site to a potential golf and/or hunting site while riding the train and mentioned it to Tillinghast at the time, who was likely riding along with him.

3) When other possible sites for the course these guys were looking to build didn't pan out (in Absecon, etc), Crump went back to the site with Perrin at first, and then others, stopping at Sumner Station and then getting out to explore on foot.

Once Crump was satisfied in his mind, and perhaps had some discussions with the owner negotiating terms and feasibility, he went back to his group, sending a letter, and starting the club.

So Tom, we don't disagree...at least I don't think we do.

Patrick on the other hand thinks he has it all figured out because he saw a picture of some undergrowth in a book.   Oh lord, save us from discovery process of those who want to argue with half a loaf!  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:19:21 AM by MCirba »

JESII

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Jim,

Are you saying that in the roughly 60 mile train trip from Philly to AC, which equates to 316,800 feet, that Crump saw, in a forrested stretch of 4,000 feet, the great site for PV ?

At 60 miles and hour that's less than 50 seconds of viewing time, IF there was a view through the trees and to locations elevated well above the tracks.

Pat,

In the entire 316,800 feet of that train ride there's only one hill with the elevation found at Pine Valley (including the other side of the hill where the current Trump National Philadelphia sits...) and it wouldn't have taken me, George Crump, or you more than 2 seconds to see it...in fact, the tracks actually divert around this very large (for sourthern New Jersey)) hill!

JESII

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Pat,

I don't have a ton of golf/GCA books, but I do have "the Goldn Age of Golf Design" by Geoff Shackelford. I believe you do as well. Please go to page 62 featuring a view of the 14th hole and the railroad tracks immediately adjacent. There are three key observations would like you to address before I go any further on this:

1) I think the tracks are about 10 feet above the golf course side grade, would you agree?
2) The lake borders pretty close to the tracks from the 17th tee area to a bit southeast of the 14th green...Google Earth measures this length at 275 yards. I would guess swamp that covered this area before the golf course was built would have been similar to slightly smaller (the pond isn't exactly deep...). I doubt there were any trees between the swamp and the track embankment in 1910.
3) The trees in the Pine Valley pages of Shackelford's book (pages 53 - 63) are small. Pine trees are fast growers and these pictures are from 12 - 15 years after Crump is reported to have seen the land initially, renedering them virtually saplings in the 1910 time frame. I think you should look closely at these particular pages before you argue this any further...you've made a mistake.

I have no idea if the train story is true and it really doesn't matter to me but the fact that he would have had an unobstructed view across a 275 X 300 yard swamp to the beginning slopes of the highest point of elevaton in all of south Jersey tells me it's possible.

Although it is also possible that Crump much preferred the North side of all trains he was on and I'll admit this site wouldn't have been so obvious from that vantage point...

Paul_Turner

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »
This is the earliest aerial of Pine Valley that I've seen, published May 1920

Interesting things I see:

1)  The ponds on the 5th and 18th holes aren't there.  It looks like these have been drained back to just a meandering stream.  I wonder why?  (We have earlier photos of the course with them dammed and flooded).

2)  The amount of exposed sand and sparseness of trees, even between holes!  It's much more exposed than the aerial set from about 10-15 years later.

3)  I think that's a truck on the road, the 5th green.

4)  Train station with a chimney?  On the edge of the photo as shown on Colt's plans?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:42:51 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Mike

Tom,

It makes a helluva lot more sense than Patrick's High-Speed Rail through south Jersey in 1910 nonsense.  

In 1900, the train from Philly/Camden to Atlantic City averaged 75.2 mph, so I admit, I was a little slow on my 60 mph speed.

Of course, after his imagined Super-Highway on the end of Long Island in 1906 I've come to expect this from him.

Mike has to exaggerate and call the North Highway, which ran right through the middle of his phantom golf course, a super highway in an effort to marginalize the significance of the highway.  It was one of two MAJOR thoroughfares running East-West on the East end of Long Island.
The schematic showing the North Highway was posted by MIKE, not me.  He just never bothered to examine what he was posting.
And again, ONLY MIKE labeled it a "super-highway".  It was his way of desperately trying to diminish the North Highway's significance by exaggerating its size/capacity.  Mike has a tendency to do that.

What Patrick is failing to realize, simply because he evidently can't be bothered to actually read, much less research any of this on his own, is that this was the site of the Sumner Train STATION, where the train would STOP, and let passengers ON and OFF.   Pretty difficult to do this at 60mph without loss of life and limb, I'll admit, but there you have it.

Passengers ?
In 1886 there were only 25 households in the entire large area defined as Clementon.
That must have been some bustling station.
In fact the railroad didn't even consider it a large or small station since the railroad categorized it as a simple platform and shelter.
Mike just likes to exaggerate things.

Later, that train station simply became known as Pine Valley.

Because I don't care about the history of any of these clubs, later today I'll be speaking with the head of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines Rail Historical Society, who provided me with information on Friday related to the station in question.  

I located the same fellows using the same google search that Mike did.
Their website confirms that it wasn't a station, but a platform and shelter

I've asked him what he thought might be viewable from that train in terms of the land in question, which he's extremely familiar with, having grown up in Pine Hill and having been a fireman at several blazes at Pine Valley.   I'll let folks know what he says.

I'm sure that you won't lead or editorialize his comments.
I viewed the tracks and the view from those tracks less than two weeks ago.
So, I don't need a third party to tell me what is and what isn't viewable.
And, I didn't know that they had any fires on the 17th tee.
I'm comfortable that my data base relative to PV and its landform are superior to theirs.

In the meantime, this same question to Tom Paul, who is extremely familiar with the land in question, garnered this response;
So now you've returned to being a stooge for TEPaul again ?
If TEPaul wants to add to the discussion, let him post his replies in his own hand.

First of all, the land of Pine Valley in 1910-1912 was not exactly heavily forested, at least not in the same way it looks and is today. It may've looked that way in early aerials ( a solely vertical perspective) but on the ground the trees were small and spindly with a great deal of undergrowth.

So, it's TEPaul's position that the ground level and aerial photos are a fraud ?
Now you and TEPaul are saying, "don't believe your eyes, believe TEPaul's account".
Mike, with all due respect you and TEPaul are full of crap on this issue.
The ground level and aerial photos don't lie.
That area was a dense forest

Some years ago I had a long conversation with Mel Dickenson at one of the Lesley Cups Matches, I think we were in Montreal, about the geological history of PV. Mel was a highly educated geo-scientist and he was PV's president right after Ernie Ransome. He believes the site of PV probably experienced a general forest fire or perhaps was just comprehensively logged (you do realize, don't you how completely some areas of the Eastern US were logged in the mid to late 19th century for ship building and just the general use of lumber?). Anyway Mel believes the trees of PV when Crump found it was a "second growth" that may've been less than 15-20 years old and the on-ground photos of it in the teens would support that theory.

The pre-construction photos don't support that theory.
Only the construction and post construction photos, after the trees were removed to accomodate the golf course, show a thinned forest.

Plus Rick Sides discovered recently that the site was a sand mining operation. It was owned by the Lumberton Sand Co that belonged to the Ireland family.

It may have been owned by the Lumberton Sand Co, or individuals who were stockholders in the Lumberton Sand Co, but, there's NO evidence that the site where the golf course sits was a sand mining pit.

From the train tracks you could see right up the 2nd (although the back of the 2nd tee was raised somewhat as was the entire 1st green).

You could see right across the 1st hole to the triangulation where Mel Dickenson's house is and the 4th and up its hill. You could see the entire area the township building and the Ayshire replicate buildings are in and everything to the 1st hole side of it is on and including the clubhouse area. Of course you could see down along the entire 18th which has a pond to the right of it that is all below the RR tracks. As you proceed backwards along the 18th the land starts to rise near the tee and continues to rise for most of the second half of #17 which creates a bank down to the tracks. From there the land descends again around the first half of #17 and the water works behind it. It continues down from the middle of the 17th to the tee and stays flat behind the water works and drops down some more near the new 15th tee and 14th green (that area was once basically swamp) all the way along the 14th hole until it begins to rise again going up the tee. Therefore one could've seen across the land that is today some of the 17th the 16th, the 15th and right up the ridge to the right of the 13th.

Thanks for confirming what I stated, namely that you could see portions of the lower fairway on # 18, the tee area on # 17 and the 16th green.
Nothing on the 13th hole was visible.

And, that's just visibility based on elevation and elevation differentials.
With the trees, you couldn't see a thing.
But then again, that's what the early photos reveal

The RR track bed is somewhat raised and considering a man sitting in a train car in that era would be at least seven feet above the RR tracks one could obviously see a lot of that part of the site from a train.

At 6'4" I guess that puts me at the level you mention.
The railroads were well engineered with the optimal track line being the one with the least grade to contend with.
As such, the tracks tended to be below the surrounding terrain, which restricted their visibility when hillocks and hills were nearby, as is the case with PV.

I have never been on a train on that line but Mayor Ott and I used to ride all over that course in his cart just checking stuff out (he had his own golf cart in his garage). And I really know that area because some years ago I got clobbered by Gary Cowan in the Crump Cup (losing on the 14th hole) and we just walked with our caddies all the way along the maintenance road that parallels the RR tracks from the 14th hole all the way back to the end of the 18th on the right.

And I"m sure, that as you walked in to the clubhouse, having lost to someone who won the U.S Amateur at Wilmington CC, that you weren't even looking at the architecture, you weren't even aware of the architecture, let alone the view of the course from the tracks, since you told me that you ONLY became interested in architecture in recent years.

So, Tom...related to your question, this is what I think;

1) Crump hunted in south Jersey as a young boy, and throughout his life and was likely familiar with the land in question prior to the train ride.

Agreed

2) Crump perhaps had the discovery, connecting the site to a potential golf and/or hunting site while riding the train and mentioned it to Tillinghast at the time, who was likely riding along with him.

It's ikely that based on his prior experience that he had narrowed potential site selections to that area and mentioned the area to AWT

3) When other possible sites for the course these guys were looking to build didn't pan out (in Absecon, etc), Crump went back to the site with Perrin at first, and then others, stopping at Sumner Station and then getting out to explore on foot.

That's a guess, they could have motored into the area.
Taken a train and gotten off at a nearby station which consisted of more than a platform.
Or, motored in, then ridden on horseback.
But, all of this is conjecture.

Once Crump was satisfied in his mind, and perhaps had some discussions with the owner negotiating terms and feasibility, he went back to his group, sending a letter, and starting the club.

This bears a striking resemblance to Tom MacWood's theory, and probably the most reasoned theory, versus spotting the site from a moving train as his first indication that the site was ideal for a golf course.

So Tom, we don't disagree...at least I don't think we do.

Patrick on the other hand thinks he has it all figured out because he saw a picture of some undergrowth in a book.   Oh lord, save us from discovery process of those who want to argue with half a loaf!  ;)  ;D

"A" picture ?
Hardly.
A series of photos, ground level and aerial, along with a resonably high degree of familiarity with the Railroad tracks as they relate to sight lines and the terrain south of the Railroad tracks, along with the fact that the area was a remote, dense forest.

At least you've changed your position such that you now agree with Tom MacWood's premise.
You're making progress.... slowly, but, progress nonetheless.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
Pat,

I don't have a ton of golf/GCA books, but I do have "the Goldn Age of Golf Design" by Geoff Shackelford. I believe you do as well. Please go to page 62 featuring a view of the 14th hole and the railroad tracks immediately adjacent. There are three key observations would like you to address before I go any further on this:

1) I think the tracks are about 10 feet above the golf course side grade, would you agree?
NO

2) The lake borders pretty close to the tracks from the 17th tee area to a bit southeast of the 14th green...Google Earth measures this length at 275 yards. I would guess swamp that covered this area before the golf course was built would have been similar to slightly smaller (the pond isn't exactly deep...). I doubt there were any trees between the swamp and the track embankment in 1910.

Jim, I'm not so sure.
The trees north of the tracks are incredibly dense.
It's unreasonable to assume that they thinned out just because the tracks were there.
And, if you look at those photos, on land not occupied by fairway/rough, the trees remain dense at the locations I previously mentioned.

3) The trees in the Pine Valley pages of Shackelford's book (pages 53 - 63) are small. Pine trees are fast growers and these pictures are from 12 - 15 years after Crump is reported to have seen the land initially, renedering them virtually saplings in the 1910 time frame. I think you should look closely at these particular pages before you argue this any further...you've made a mistake.

You're incorrect.
Those photos are of land previously cleared for the golf course, not the native land, which remained intact north of the railroad tracks.

I have no idea if the train story is true and it really doesn't matter to me but the fact that he would have had an unobstructed view across a 275 X 300 yard swamp to the beginning slopes of the highest point of elevaton in all of south Jersey tells me it's possible.

Jim, he wouldn't have had an unobstructed view.
You know as well as I do that as soon as you get off the bridge on # 15 that you're back in dense woods again.
Woods that obscure elevation changes.
In addition, you can't assume that the RR tracks rose up from the swamp, or that it was swamp as opposed to an area similar to the area between # 15 fairway and # 16 fairway..

Although it is also possible that Crump much preferred the North side of all trains he was on and I'll admit this site wouldn't have been so obvious from that vantage point...

I'm not so sure.
I took a look at a topo of Clementon, and it's not as flat as you and others have declared.
In fact, it has some great rolling terrain with substantial elevation changes..
You and that idiot-savant should know that based solely on the topography of the short course, which has incredible elevation changes.

It appears that the North side of the tracks had interesting elevtion changes as well.
Perhaps not quite so dramatic, but dramatic nonetheless.

However, North or South, the tracks ran through a virtual tunnel of trees in a dense pine forest.
With less than 4,000 feet of PV flanking the RR tracks, and with most of the 4,000 feet having the sight lines obscured by terrain above grade and trees, it's doubtful you could see anything resembling an ideal site.

Like TEPaul's IQ, it's a myth, a romantic legend, or in TEPaul's case, a legend in his own mind.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
The tracks are definitely above the 14th green at least.  10 feet?  Hard to say, but not far off.

JESII

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks for that image Paul, I think it makes most of my case...which is that from the train it seems very likely to gain a glimpse of the significantly elevating and undulating terrain the goes up to the 13th fairway, 15th green and 16th fairway from those tracks. More than enough to be intrigued...

Pat,

You'll need to prove that the trees were dense and blocking all view from the tracks because a hillside covered in 15 foot tall pine trees is still quite clearly a hillside...and when it's the one rising up to the 13th fairway from the 15th tee/fairway at Pine Valley in southern New Jersey it might as well be a view of the Rockie Mountains from the western edge of the Great Plains. It would have stood out.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
If Crump was so inthralled with this site in 1910, as Tilly suggests, why in 1912 did he look at Absecon first, and Browns Mills second, and this site third?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:17:30 PM by Tom MacWood »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
This is the earliest aerial of Pine Valley that I've seen, published May 1920

Interesting things I see:

1)  The ponds on the 5th and 18th holes aren't there.

Paul, it looks like the pond on # 5 is there, but not quite as big

It looks like these have been drained back to just a stream.  I wonder why?  (We have earlier photos of the course with them dammed and flooded).

They could have drained them for maintainance, mosquite control or a drought could have been responsible.

2)  The amount of exposed sand and sparseness of trees, even between holes!  
      It's much more exposed than the aerial set from about 10-15 years later.

In 1964, when I first played there, there was far more in exposed sand.
      To get an idea of how neat it was, just go to HistoricAerials.com and punch in East Atlantic Ave, Clementon, NJ
      And you'll see the aerials from 1931, 1940, 1951, 1957, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1995, 2002, 2006 and 2007.

I was lucky enough to play it in 1964 and one of the things that sticks out in my mind was the wider playing
      corridors and the exposed sand.  In particular, the elbow on # 1 was more sand than trees..
      # 12 and # 13 looked and played differently, although moreso # 12 with playability.

One of my pet peeves is the two fir trees to the right and short of the 15th green.
      I'd like to see them go, they detract from the hole

3)    I think that's a truck on the road, the 5th green.

Go to Historicaerials.com and look at the course over the years.

The thing that makes Pine Valley the # 1 course in my mind is the unique individuality of each hole.
Each is dramatically different from the other, yet, they are wound together in a routing, a journey that provides some of the best golf on the planet.  It's truely a unique golf course with little in the way or architecture repetition in the features and terrain.

4)  Train station with a chimney?

That's probably a residence, the train tracks are on the other side of the road, and the photo is 1920, not 1910.

On the edge of the photo as shown on Colt's plans?

I believe that's a residence, as the train station was described as a platform and a shelter, not a small or large station.

JESII

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
I don't know Tom. I haven't seen the text that suggested it was his very first considered site, can you post it?  In any event, how does it preclude him from first spotting it from the train?

Also, Pine Valley is basically in Philadelphia. The soil is sandy, but for climate it's Philadelphia, not Atlantic City.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
The track is pretty high up in relation to the fairways adjacent to it (10+ ft here?),  the 18th from Colt's book:

Patrick

I think the pond is gone on the 5th.  I have a better res pic.  I still think that's probably a station at the photo edge.  It's labelled on Colt's plan, it's next to the tracks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:30:31 PM by Paul_Turner »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »

Thanks for that image Paul, I think it makes most of my case...which is that from the train it seems very likely to gain a glimpse of the significantly elevating and undulating terrain the goes up to the 13th fairway, 15th green and 16th fairway from those tracks. More than enough to be intrigued...

Jim,

After the trees were cleared and fairways established the view opened up.
You keep on viewing the issue with a post construction perspective.

Pat,

You'll need to prove that the trees were dense and blocking all view from the tracks because a hillside covered in 15 foot tall pine trees is still quite clearly a hillside...and when it's the one rising up to the 13th fairway from the 15th tee/fairway at Pine Valley in southern New Jersey it might as well be a view of the Rockie Mountains from the western edge of the Great Plains. It would have stood out.

Jim,

Please look at the NORTH side of the tracks.
An inpenatrable forest.
Do you think the forest stopped at the tracks with the great plains miraculously appearing south of the tracks.

You keep making statements based on photos taken after the site was cleared of trees.

And, the 14th green, along with the 16th green, are the lowest points on the property.
The RR grade is only elevated above the area to the South in that narrow strip.

From 50 yards in front of the 17th tee, the land rises up, on both side of the fairway obscuring all views of the site.

I will be returning to the site later this year and will take a transit with me as I walk the tracks and shoot sight lines south of the tracks.
I'll take photos from the tracks to prove to you that with a few exceptions, the landform prevents a view of the course from the tracks.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
The track is pretty high up in relation to the fairways adjacent to it,  the 18th from Colt's book:

Not really.
The abrupt grade makes it look higher when compared to the gradual grade of the fairway.

But, on a more important note, look at how dense that forest is to the North of the RR tracks.
That's how it was South of the RR tracks.

How far into that forest can you see when looking North ?  10 feet ?  20 Feet ?
It's inpenetrable.
Ditto the South side until they cleared it.

Patrick

I think the pond is gone on the 5th.  I have a better res pic. 
I still think that's probably a station at the photo edge.  It's labelled on Colt's plan, it's next to the tracks.

I know I have bad eyes, but that house looks to be on the North side of the Road.
I can't remember a train station that wasn't directly on the tracks.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
Jim
No, I can not post Joseph Baker's account, but perhaps someone can forward it to you along with all with the other pertinent documents you may not have.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »
Jim
This is what Crump wrote to his friends in the Fall of 1912:

"I think I have landed on something very fine. It is 14 miles below Camden, at a stop called Sumner, on the Reading RR to Atlantic City--a sandy soil, with rolling ground among the pines."

Does it sound like he has been sitting on this site since 1910, as Tilly contends?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »
"Pine Valley Golf Club was conceived by such well-known players as Howard W. Perrin, champion of the Merion Cricket Club; George A. Crump, of the Philadelphia Country Club; Joseph B. Clark and William P. Smith.   The idea was to organize a golf club near this city where winter golf would be the feature.   The club property is located along the main line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway to Atlantic City, and has been pointed out as a beauty spot by hundreds of travelers to and from the shore."  - Philadelphia Evening Ledger, October 31, 1914

Mike Cirba

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
A few more thoughts on this ridiculous debate...

Someone sitting in a train car would be another 7 or 8 feet above the existing grade of the tracks, surely able to look down into lower areas of the swampland along 14/16 and see "up-valley", particularly traveling north.

Also, let me ask a question.

Let's say you're riding in your car along forested flat lands.   All of a sudden there is terrain that is abnormally hilly outside your window, and which pitches and rolls.   Do you notice or not?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
"The club property is located along the main line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway to Atlantic City, and has been pointed out as a beauty spot by hundreds of travelers to and from the shore."  - Philadelphia Evening Ledger, October 31, 1914

Sure it was....but only after they began clearing the site of trees in early 1913. The site was covered with a thick forest of trees prior to the clearing effort, and if you have any doubts simply look at one of the old aerials. They reveal a thick forest of trees in all directions, including the other side of the RR tracks. Crump and his friends only discovered how good the site was on foot or horseback or both. These legends die hard, especially in Philadelphia.

Simon Carr, January 1915:

"The tract was heavily wooded with pine and oak, and had an undergrowth as dense as a jungle. For a month it was gone over carefully on foot; every detail of conformation was noted...During the following winter and early spring, enough of the land was cleared to reveal the main features of the property, and to disclose the contour of the ground."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:44:37 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
Tom,

Tillinghast describes that land looking like that as well, but with obvious rolling terrain and sand flashes;

And Tom, your essay on Crump includes the following.   Why are you suddenly doubting what you likely interpreted correctly in the first place?

There are a number of legends surrounding how Crump found the site. The two most common: Crump discovered the site gazing out the window of a train on his way to or from Atlantic City or Crump knew of the site from hunting trips, perhaps even as a boy. Another tale claimed he inherited the land from his father. An erroneous variation of the train story had British golf architect Colt on board with him.

The two most popular stories come from very reliable sources: the train window story comes from AW Tillinghast and John Arthur Brown, the hunting story from Jerome Travers and Alan Wilson. I suspect they are both true. He discovered the wild site from a train with perhaps an eye for shooting rather than golf, but once he began wandering the site gun in hand, he found the most perfect land for golf, land not unlike the rugged heathland outside London.
- Tom MacWood

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
Tillie also mentions that white sand swatches were visible everywhere and that the train was moving fast, both of which Patrick now disputes 100 years later, based on looking at a few photos.

Granted, he probably didn't see the site himself from the train pre-development, but he did speak to Crump, and all he really claims is that Crump realized the land was different when he saw it from the window.  I agree with TMac that any detailed study was done on foot, but no one claimed Crump designed the course from the train, only that he discovered the land from the train.  And, as TMac points out, maybe the hunting story is true, too.

I guess the bigger question is, what is the point of this argument?  He discovered the site somehow.  He picked it over other sites.  He developed what is generally the no. 1 course in the world, with help.

What does disproving (or trying to) this little point really have to do with the history of PV?  It would seem that a few here never heard a club history they didn't think they could improve!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JESII

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
Tom and Pat,

Are you arguing that Crump couldn't have seen specific micro-features from the train - which I would agree with?   Or are you arguing that he couldn't have seen enough of the hills and valleys to even be intrigued?

If it's the latter, it's time you prove it instead of telling us what you think is logical. Are you positive the entire site of the current Pine Valley was totally invisible from a train seat 15 feet above grade?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back