News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: Pine Valley and Topos
« Reply #1325 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »
Tom,

What revisionist alchemy in Columbus turns "HSC" turn into "GAC"?

So what? We know Colt and Crump stayed together and GAC obviously was directing the note to someone.

Again, we have no idea when the drawing was made or by whom. It could be Crump & associates or Colt & Crump. I suspect it was an early rough verion of the routing made by Colt.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1326 on: October 03, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
I am also curious about the tree lines and vegetation masses shown on the plan.  If the map was a survey of the existing property, it would seem that there were at least some open areas without dense trees from the way the surveyor drew the map.  The only other explanation would be that it was surveyed after Crump had cleared some of the holes.  

But, look at the tree masses around the 6th and 7th holes.  Are those tree clearing lines pre- or post routing and clearing?

On one hand, they fit the routing perfectly, suggesting he had decided on and cleared those two holes well before even figuring out the final routing of the remaining holes.  I doubt any gca, Colt included, would do such a thing.  Maybe, it is an indication that Crump got in part way, and then needed Colt to help him figure out the rest.  Clearly, the holes drawn don't connect, and were changed later.

Not sure how Crump could get such a good start on holes 1-4 and then sort of lose ability, confidence, whatever on the rest of the land?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1327 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:33 AM »
BTW,

There are other marks - an X and a survey line running through 18 tee, and then up and right, suggesting that a surveyor was used to locate the points shown on this routing for further review by the design team, whoever it was.

It was very common to start at a property line (known and staked) to get the holes near it, and then run other survey lines.  The "X" over 18 tee shows that once that point was found on the surveyors line running from their back to 6 tee (and somehow tied to a property line) that the other proposed greens and tees were found by turning an angle and distance from that known point, probably using what is known as a "plane table" at the base of the survey level.

I recall doing that often early in my career.  Now, they wander around with a dorky looking GPS system on their back, which bounces signals off 7 to 11 satelittes, and it shows you where the average of those satellite show the coordiates, and they plunk a stake down.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:25:16 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1328 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Jeff,

Apparently, there is a surveyor's notation on the map which states;

"The contours north of the top of the ridge are taken with Plane Table and Levels. Those on the south by Stadie & Transit."

No idea what that means, but figure perhaps you do.

Tom,

The map in question was created before Colt's arrival, created in March 1913.  

Colt wasn't there until end of May/beginning of June, 1913

In March of 1913 a number of the holes that exist on the stick routing map were described by Tillinghast and other writers.

What actual factual evidence are you using to base your suspicion that Colt drew this map?

Do any of the personal accounts by anyone who was there mention Colt's involvement prior to those mentioning that he had to be "convinced" to come by to see the site during his US visit in late spring 1913?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1329 on: October 03, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
Mike,

Thanks.  Any chance you can read the notes in the area of trees just above the 18th fw?  I am trying to figure out if those were areas of dense trees, and then the other areas either meadow or scrub trees.  That is my suspicion, anyway.

The surveying methods shown on the map that I pointed out, suggests to me that Crump staked the holes in the field, and used the surveyor who made the map to find where they were on the map.  Not sure what made Crump decide to have the topo made in the first place - heavier woods to the west that were harder to route in the field?  A letter to Colt or some other person suggesting it was necessary?

Another thing that hasn't been explored is when was the decision to add the housing component made?  It's possible they got the map to provide the more detailed kind of planning housing would require.  Anyone know when that was contemplated?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1330 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
Jeff,

I don't know the other answers to your questions, but it seems at least two months prior in this January 1913 report from Tillinghast that it was already determined that the property was going to be topographically mapped;

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1331 on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
Mike,

Two months or so to survey that land seems about right, and it would be easier in the winter.  Despite what some say, the scrub oaks lose their leaves and opens up the sight lines.

BTW, I think Pat will be interested in the comment by Tillie that "after topographic charting, the job of rough planning will not be as difficult as it seems" (paraphrased by me)  If Tillie is writing that  in January 1913 it would seem that Tillie probable that Tillie convinced him of the need for topos to do the actual study/routing almost immediately after purchase, doesn't it?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1332 on: October 03, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »
Jeff,

If he was one of the earliest to walk the property with Crump, as he said he was, then really he could have convinced him of the need for topos at any time prior to purchase, but the actual act of charting topographically to the level of detail required for golf course design seems to have happened post-purchase, which makes sense.

Also, don't forget that the articles describing the first 4 holes, some others, as well as the 18th were published in newspapers on March 23rd, 1913, the same month as the date of the map.

Which came first, the holes or the map?  ;)  ;D

By the way, I hadn't noticed this before, but Tillinghast also wrote about the nearby "meadow land" that Crump rejected in favor of the hilly, wooded site.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:50:19 AM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1333 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:47 AM »
Mike,

It appears Crump started in the corner with 1-4 even before the maps were drawn, no?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1334 on: October 03, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
Jeff,

There are other holes described in the article as well, but it does appear that area along the tracks was focused on first.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1335 on: October 03, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
The 18th looks as if it has been finalized in concept.  The sixth isn't currently a par 5, and the next hole described isn't definite is it?  Where is the hog back fw? Colt changed 5 later.

It still feels as if Crump started on 1-4 because they were relattively open - mined at some point in the past and not as heavily wooded as other areas.  Just MHO. I am sure TePaul knows more about the land and history from his research than I .

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1336 on: October 03, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
Jeff,

The proposed holes described in that article all appear on the stick routing.

If any area looks to have been mined previously, I'd speculate that it was the deep ravine running from hole 6 down to in front of the 18th green.   I've seen sand mining operations and they usually leave a big hole.

I also wonder who owned the land on the other side of the tracks and the nature and origin of the lake over there.   Also, why the existing sandy roads seen coming into the area...why the need for them?   

Also, why a pre-existing train station in the middle of the woods if nothing was happening at that site prior?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:14:02 PM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1337 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
But Mike, we've been told we don't know our own ass from a big hole in the ground!  How could you possibly know that?

More seriously, at one point, I noticed on that 1890's general map that the slope from the RR upwards near the second tee appeared to be steep, and now, its more gradual.  I wonder if that area had been mined, but rather than a pit, left more level.  I could be wrong and its just a guess.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:14:21 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1338 on: October 03, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
Jeff,

Please see above as I've added a picture with some relevant questions and think you might have missed in your eagerness to perpetuate a lie.  ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1339 on: October 03, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Mike,

Not sure about the train station, but it was typical for those commuter only lines to build their own parks and lakes, as a means to induce passengers to ride their trains to the attractions. Possible, and worth looking into.

Also, I see several small holes in the aerial.  I have seen similar items where those might be test pits and they obviously didn't find sand to their liking to keep mining.  Sometimes, if they find a pocket, they will continue digging in a straight line to get an idea of the extent of the seam of sand.

DMoriarty

« Reply #1340 on: October 03, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
Bryan,

Here are links to larger versions of the two I posted.  I did not create the composite, so don't know exactly what was used to create it.  It may just be different exposures of the other one I posted.   I'll see about posting others, but I don't think they are much more helpful because they are taken at an angle. 

http://i53.tinypic.com/65c207.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/5mxs82.jpg
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1341 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks David, will look at them when I get home tonight.

Anybody have any idea if topo maps were generally dated when the survey took place, or when the map was actually published.  The USGS ones seem to carry the publishing dates.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1342 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Jim/Bryan,

I'm pretty sure I didn't do a very good job explaining why I believe that the 4th fairway in the 1913 picture is to the left of that sandy dirt road going up the hill.    :-\

Let me give it another shot.

The first thing to understand about that 1913 photo which appears in the Shelly book (and posted here) is that it differs from the one referred to in the Brown book, which mentions that you can see the 3rd tee, in that about 10-15 yards on the left side are truncated on the Shelly photo, which cuts off the area of the 3rd tee.   Even with that, the photo edge still doesn't extend far enough left to see the tree line, just adjacent to the 3rd tee.

Let's look at the photo again, now blown up to 150% size...I'm purposefully keeping these images large for view-ability so you'll need to use the scroll bar on the bottom of the post.   Sorry about the inconvenience.

Please note a few things.   First, see the one large, bushy tree marked with a red arrow over on the left side of the photo.   More about that later.   Also, please note that the sandy road, starting at the bottom, seems to be coming from the right before rising up the hill.   At the top of the hill the road splits into a Y, with the right side continuing down the hill towards the clubhouse.

Next, let's look at a 200% blowup of the 1920 aerial.

Here I've shrunk it to see the entire pic for perspective of where various features are in relation to each other...the 2nd green and third tee along the trees can be seen on the upper right..

Again, some important things to note.   First, what looks to be the same tree I noted in the previous photo looks to be still there, just to the left of the 4th fairway.  

Also, please look at the road, which not only extends from the 4th hole to the clubhouse, but also swings around across the valley on #6, and passes in front of the #5 green, the clubhouse, and down in front of the 18th green.   In essence, it wraps completely around the deep ravine.   I believe that road was pre-existing, much like some of the other roads seen in those old aerials I posted.

Not to jump topic yet, but some folks have been looking at the fact that Crump bought the property from the Lumberton Mine Company, who had deed to the land from 1904.   More about that later if the conversation continues but there is definite evidence that the areas of ridges and depressions like the big bowled out ravine were previously mined for sand.

Finally, just to get a better view of that road and it's route through the property, here is the 1931 Hagley Museum view from an angle not too far from where I believe the photographer in that 1913 photo was, down on the lower right not far from the 6th green.

In the distance, one can see the horizontal line of the entrance road which parallels the railroad tracks in that area, as well as the elevation of the rail bed directly behind which raises the tracks several feet above the road.   That road is, I believe, that white line evident on the right side of the 1913 photo, which I mistakenly called the railroad tracks in previous posts.  

The tracks are much more elevated above the road as you can clearly see.

Hope this explains things better...thanks.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:35:16 AM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1343 on: October 04, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
Mike,

I think you have it about right.

Just out of curiosity, what are the dates on the various aerials?  Not only years, but month?  I am always amazed at how well the turf looks given the relative unsophisticated irrigation and sandy soils, and knowing of the early struggles there.  Frankly, delving into the history of the irrigation system at a classic course like PV would be as interesting to me as the design elements.  And, it might tell us more!

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1344 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
Jeff,

I'm glad I made sense to someone here.   Or, are you lying again??!!  ;)

As far as dates, I'm not sure the months they were taken...I just read that the undeveloped one is from 1913, the one taken from above the tracks looking down #4 green to tee is from 1920 (posted originally here by Paul Turner), and the one from the Hagley Museum is 1931.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1345 on: October 04, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
Oh, you know me....

Hey, any truth to the story that the Philly Police motto is "Protect the Myth and Serve (up BS.....)?

LOL

JESII

« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Mike,

I think that tree looks to be the same one (could be wrong, but it sure looks similar), it's undoubtedly in a very similar place. I agree that the 3rd tee would be close to the edge of that picture, but always have.

I disagree with your camera angle...especially if the road on the 4th is the same one in 1913 as 1931 because of its course in relation to the camera. In 1931 it travels down and to the right while in 1913 it traveled down and to the left. I think the corner of the dogleg is the camera position in 1913.

In your analysis of the road making a loop around the ravine, do you think the bridge just behind/below the clubhouse is there? I would guess so, but it's not clear. Also, where do you think the 5th tee is in the 1920 aerial?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1347 on: October 04, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
Hey Jeff,

We can't even protect and preserve Michael Vick! ;)

Mike Cirba

« Reply #1348 on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for your feedback.

As far as the camera angle, I can't tell for certain but it looks like me in that 1913 photo that the road going up the hill on #4 splits into a Y at the top of the hill, with a righthand portion heading down to the clubhouse and a leftside version going into the distance (later replaced with fairway, I'm assuming).

In either case, glad to know that we're at least in the same ball park here, and the photographer position may be closer to the corner than the green, as you say.   You certainly know the course better than I do.

As far as the 1920 photo, I think the 5th tee is between the two buildings, just to the left of the 4th green, and it does look as though the bridge was already built as well.   I've included the big blowup picture again below for reference.  

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:08:19 PM by MCirba »

JESII

« Reply #1349 on: October 04, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
Mike,

I've thouht from the beginning if that the angle of the ravine could be determined the rest would easily fall into place. The road could help as well but I've never been convinced it had to be in the same bed as today's macadam road. You mke a good case that it is the same bed. I would suggest you determine the camera's position as it relates to the road's orientation. I think (but am not positive) you'll find the camera is looking across the ravine at an angle further right than for the entrance road to be clearly visible...but let's see.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back