News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Tobacco Road?
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
My girlfriend is teeing it up at TB this morning......what should she expect? She is a solid 13hcp and her friend said she may find it tough!!!!! What should I tell her? Thanks.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Bill_McBride

Re: Tobacco Road?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
My girlfriend is teeing it up at TB this morning......what should she expect? She is a solid 13hcp and her friend said she may find it tough!!!!! What should I tell her? Thanks.

Get a yardage book and pay attention!

Carr Harris

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
I love Tobacco Road!!

The advice I'd give is that there is always room out there off the tee (except maybe #16), even if Strantz tooks great pains to hide that fact looking from the tee. If she is a 13 handicap, she should have a great time.

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
1- It's not as tough as it looks
2- Hope that you play with someone that's played there before
3- Have fun (hard not to)

I played last weekend and it was in pretty decent shape considering it's July. The bunkers are garbage at the moment but otherwise I enjoyed myself very much.

Apparently now if it is your first time playing, you sign up for their mailing list and they GIVE you a yardage book, so make sure she does that.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
She parred the first!!!!!!! The group she is playing with have played there before. Thanks.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
Watch out for misplaced trees from the forward tees! I played TR with my then girlfriend, now wife back in '99. It was her first time on an 18 hole golf course - and still the only round she's played. Not bad for a one time golfer. Anyway, I played the first 4 holes with her from the front, and two times was stymied by trees - one time from overhead on the 3rd tee, the next time on the 4th tee, there was a tree right in the line of the drive (I've been told it has since been removed).

I don't know what tees your girlfriend is playing, but she probably doesn't need to go all the way up if she can carry the ball at all.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
Make sure to have lunch and/or a drink on the veranda overlooking 18 after the round...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dean Stokes

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
she shot 82 from front tees! one ball lost.....said it was awesome - with the caveat that you hit the ball straight!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »
she shot 82 from front tees! one ball lost.....said it was awesome - with the caveat that you hit the ball straight!

Exactly so.  TR is not a hard golf course at all if you pick the correct tees and hit it straight.  If your head is on straight as well, you'll have an incredible amount of fun, the golf equivalent of a good roller coaster ride.

However, if you get crooked...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back