News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Goldstein

10 different courses in a day...
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:16:37 AM »
Can it be done?

My schedule in China was tight so why not attempt all 10 at Mission Hills Haikou tomorrow? Thanks to Ryan's help on the logistics we'll be on the first tee before 6am tomorrow armed with mountains of water bottles / towels to give it a crack.  Using carts but the temperatures over here are rather warm...
@Pure_Golf

Mark Pritchett

Re: 10 different courses in a day...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:22:35 AM »
Best of luck Michael.  Looking forward to a full report. 

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
Thanks Mark! Report to follow,

Brian - would love to do a Jim Colton but an 11th hour idea that has grown legs! And at the end of the day it's good reason to talk about China. After all, it is the place which could do with more great golf architecture (and faster golf) at the moment. 
@Pure_Golf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
I hope a Chinese golfer goes to Bethpage and plays all five courses in one day while group after group is forced to allow him to play through.  The cultural exchange would be at the very least "interesting".

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
I hope a Chinese golfer goes to Bethpage and plays all five courses in one day while group after group is forced to allow him to play through.  The cultural exchange would be at the very least "interesting".

Not sure it would be an "exchange," more likely a smackdown!

michael damico

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:01:14 AM »

Not sure it would be an "exchange," more likely a smackdown!

an interesting smackdown...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »
Just to update everyone.

I followed Michael, photographing him throughout his 10 rounds at Mission Hills Haikou. We had some great weather and tremendous support from the Mission Hills Staff as well as Darius Oliver (writer of the Planet Golf Books) who was "on the bag" Cart-caddying for the Michael...  I must say, it was really impressive. Michael holed out every shot, and probably ended up playing 50+  provisonal tee shots. 10 legitimate rounds of golf on 10 different golf courses in 1 day, not sure it could be done anywhere else in the world, and certainly, not as fast. Congrats!

Just a few stats here, probably more to come:

-12 hours 44 mins
-810 Total Shots
-79 Best Round
-95 Worst Round

Here is a link to a slideshow of his journey from start to finish:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60163396@N04/sets/72157627134327925/show/

And Few Photos for GCA:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:38:57 PM by Ryan Farrow »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:51:02 PM »
Nice job. Nine rounds at 79 plus one round at 95 equals 806. That only allows four shots to spread over eight rounds. The consistency is more impressive than the endurance.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:01:38 AM »
John, that included 2 par 3 courses.....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »
John, that included 2 par 3 courses.....

Oh, eight courses in one day is still pretty cool.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
2 real par 3 courses.... not little dinky pitch and putt courses. He was able to finish each one in about 30-35 minutes. a few over par....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
2 real par 3 courses.... not little dinky pitch and putt courses. He was able to finish each one in about 30-35 minutes. a few over par....

What was up with those black shorts?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »
He's a Kiwi.....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »
I'm waiting for a post headed "Goldy does 40 hour working week"! Fair play to Michael he is a great guy, good company and a fine player. Any GCA'er who has the opportunity to meet and play with him will have a ball, as I'm sure a few from PG2010 can testify.
Cave Nil Vino

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
Extremely impressive, Michael!

What an incredible experience.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
Game recognizes game

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
And a broken down old writer recognizes idealized Manhood! 

I think I need a drink.

Peter

Great work, Michael. Congrats...

Mark Johnson

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Ryan,

How many groups did you play through?  what was their reaction?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
Ryan, you're a legend. (Ryan was dedicated enough to take photos all day whilst meanwhile watching some pitiful golf)

Thanks Chappas and ors for your kind words. Jim, massive kudos for your effort, I was thinking about that herculean effort during the day..

Mark, We only had to play through about 5 groups throughout the day.  On average each hole took about 3 minutes to play so I doubt we held any of these five groups for more than 30 seconds.  Pace of play in China leaves a bit to be desired so if anything it was a good message to try and speed things up.

It is early days at Mission Hills Haikou and they are not busy at all (particularly in the summer months) which made the 10 courses logistically possible.  I've just finished a round at Mission Hills on the mainland and it is much busier (almost 2500 rounds at weekends!!) and a similar challenge would not be possible at all without massive inconvenience. 

@Pure_Golf

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »
Ah, Haikou. Had you attempted that on the Mainland the country's stock of albuterol might have been seriously depleted.

Fascinating and amazing nevertheless: congrats.

Ron Farris

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »
Michael, Job well done at Mission Hills.  I enjoyed meeting you at the dinner in Haikou.  When we finish our projects, perhaps you can play a little more relaxed golf...........the way it was meant to be!  I applaud you efforts and the cause!  Keep spreading the word of Golf and keep it in the fairway.   Now, pay your caddie.........!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back