News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Bald Peak Colony
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
I will be playing in a member-guest at this Donald Ross course on Lake Winnipesaukie in a couple of weeks. I've been able to find only a little bit of info about it -- including that there may have been some recent work done there. Any insights, especially about the recent work (if any)?

Michael Moore

Re: Bald Peak Colony
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »
Bald Peak is a real treat. The course is on the side of a hill leading down to Lake Winnipesaukee, causing it to play a bit longer that 6200 yards. The greens are generally flat and sloped, but the surroundings are wonderful, very attractive with runoffs in a great variety of directions and steepness. Course conditions are immaculate.

The restoration architect is Ron Forse. The work included the expansion of several greens and the inclusion of several very large and hairy mounds throughout the property. There was some additional less dramatic work done as well.

I can't say that Bald Peak is the hidden jackpot that many have, but I do love the course and the club. I just think that the property is just a bit too severe for a truly special golf course.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
Bald Peak is one of my white whales in New England.  Sounds like a slam dunk for me someday...but have never had an avenue.  I have heard it's an interesting old membership like a Myopia or Northeast Harbor.

Short, quirky, hilly, and Ross...

In the words of Goose: "I'd be happy if one would just talk dirty to me..."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mitch jean

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
You will enjoy your visit to the Peak.  Mr. Moore's description is spot on.  The course is sporty and fun to play.  Part of the Forse work involved removal of significant numbers of trees in spots.  The view from the outside patio in the back of the clubhouse (overlooking the Lake Winnipesaukee for quite a distance) is spectacular.  On the 12th tee, look for Castle in the Clouds, the summer home of the founder of the club, Thomas Plante, who owned from the top of the Ossipee Mountains to the shore of the lake.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back