News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

New Orleans Golf
« on: January 09, 2002, 05:56:55 PM »
I'm headed to New Orleans in about 5 weeks, and will be
teeing it up at a course by Lee Schmitt called Oak Harbor.
I haven't played any of his courses, but understand it was
nominated for "Best New" back in 92'. Sounds like the course
is very Dye-inspired, with the use of railroad ties and bulkheads.

Is there any golf worth seeking out in the Big Easy? I'm getting the impression that golf in the deep south is severely lacking.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Bill_McBride

Re: New Orleans Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 06:33:17 PM »
Craig, come on down to NW Florida / South Alabama, we'll show you some solid golf with no snow!  It's true there aren't many Golden Age classics, but there are many courses in our area, and competition has kept the public access fees down.

I was in New Orleans over Thanksgiving.  My son and I played at Bayou Oaks at City Park, a city course not in great condition but with a lot of very good golf holes - lengthy par 4's, one particularly tough double dogleg par 5.  I got their website on the Internet, got a number to call three or four days in advance at 6 am, and got a tee time that Friday at 9 am with no problem.

Otherwise I've never played in NO - you're right, not many opportunities there.

Lou Duran

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2002, 06:57:48 PM »
Craig,

I played English Turn this past fall and enjoyed it thouroughly.  It was not an overly difficult course, though the wind was pretty calm on that day and I managed to keep my ball dry for the most part.  I like the Nicklaus courses that I've played, and this one did not seem to necessarily favor the high, soft fade that many of his critics point to.  I liked the balance of the holes, and didn't have any problem with the routing.  It is an easy course to walk, and conditioning was very acceptable.  On the downside, it is a rather flat course, and the surroundings are not particularly inspiring.   The green fee can also exceed $100 and unaccompanied guests have restricted hours.   It is definitely not a top 100 course, but I would play it again.  Have fun in NO, a place unlike any other.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2002, 06:59:58 PM »
Craig
While passing through last year I had a good time at the Bluffs on thompson creek.  I played with 3 retired regulars,
2 of which drove up on their own custom carts (they played the first tee time of the day). They were super nice.
I've heard good things 2nd hand about Oakbourne (private)
as recently as last month from a long time member.
They were both recently listed in someones top decile, so I suggest looking for that thread.
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

bill steele

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2002, 08:46:32 AM »
In May I played Oak Harbor, English Turn and Money Hill. To me, Money Hill is the best of the group. It is about a 45 minute drive across Lake Ponchartrain but it is very scenic, playable and fun. Ron Garl designed it. They allow some outside play. Check with your concierge. It's worth it.

Allen Rebstock

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2002, 10:05:26 AM »
Craig, you are correct in that there is not much in the New Orleans area unless you're willing to drive an hour or more. Oak Harbor is one of the better public courses ranking about a "5" on the Doak Scale.  Other options are English Turn, a Nicklaus course were current New Orleans Open is played and Lakewood C.C. where New Orleans Open was played for 25 years.  If you venture away from City, Money Hill about 1 hr from downtown and probable most senic.  Eastover C.C. with 36 holes in East New Orleans is another option along with The Bridges in Bay St. Louis, Miss., an Arnold Palmer design about another 30 miniute ride past Oak Harbor.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2002, 11:00:45 AM »
Be careful of Lakewoode.  The last time I visited New Orleans we played it based on its prior tour stop status.  The greens had the consistency of a shag carpet.  While I will overlook poor conditioning if the architecture is wortwhile, there is nothing special to make up for the greenskeeping.  Perhaps they have improved but I would check in advance.  Prior posts have English Turn about right;  middle period "Nicklaus Lite" on a flat site.  Not as difficult as many of his courses, well maintained and a solid if not inspiring experience.  If you like bar bands, stop at Tippitina's(spelling?)

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2002, 03:59:23 PM »
Let us not tie New Orleans golf to the deep south or even Louisiana. New Orleans is golf poor. Money Hill is a good Ron Garl course and worth playing. Oak Harbor has been is poor condition the last few times I played it. Allen is treating it better than I would on the Doak scale. i would put it at 2. I have not played Eastover,therefore I defer to Allen. I was at English Turn last week and it is in great shape. It is a Nicklas course and I am not a fan of it. Lou is correct about it being good, but not great. Metairie CC and New Orleans Cc have all the amenities a great club has but average courses. The Bluffs is good but check conditioning before the drive to Baton Rouge, same with Univiersity Club. Peleican Pointe can be fun but it is also a 2 but much better maintained than Oak harbor.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2002, 08:43:38 PM »
Craig,

I'm going to go out on a limb here, meaning no affront to the fine fellas from Louisiana who participate here.

Since it seems that there really aren't any excellent modern courses in New Orleans (I played Landmark's Belle Terre about 35 minutes west of NO, and although it is designed by Dye associate David Pfaff, it's maybe a 4), then I suggest you imbue yourself with some of the local history and color.

I suggest instead that you head directly to the Bayou Oaks Golf Course, which was formerly known as City Park GC.

Ask to play the "Wisner Course", and if you have time, also play the more difficult "Championship Course", but only as the second choice.

What will you find on the Wisner?  History, my friend.

Consider...

The Wisner Course contains the considerable remants of the original City Park course #2 that hosted the New Orleans Open, which was one of Byron Nelson's 11-in-a-row streak in the 40s.

The Wisner Course has by far the most interesting green complexes of the 4 courses at Bayou Oaks.

The Wisner Course was originally designed by a black man...Joe Bartholemew...who was a Raynor disciple forbidden from ever playing a course that he designed.  See the book "Forbidden Fairways".  A fellow named Richard Koch had some hand, as well, but Bartholemew was the main guy.  Incidentally, the Championship course is a Ralph Plummer affair from 1968, and it's tougher but not as interesting.

The Wisner course costs probably the princely sum of 20 bucks or so to play.

You're likely to join up with some locals there, and that's worth the price of admission in any case.

Craig Rokke

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2002, 12:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys. as it turns out, the outing is taking place at a different club called Stonebridge C.C.
I hope it's a winner.

Herb Flood

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2002, 10:37:02 AM »
Craig,

Barf, gag, aghh!!! Do not travel with your clubs to play that course. Rent golf clubs there and bring plenty of beer...then again, don't rent clubs at all and just drink plenty of beer.

Stonebridge is "almost golf."

There is a beautiful hidden gem located about 45 minutes from downtown New Orleans called Tchefuncta C.C. in Covington, La. If you need a group to get on, call me...I'll help you out.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2002, 11:53:47 AM »
Mike, that is interesting. I  liked the #2 course more than the others or Audubon when I played New Orleans muni's in Law School. I have not been back since so the memory is sketchy. I am going to ride around it next week while in the city on business.

texsport

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2002, 06:18:28 PM »
While it's not exactly New Orleans golf, The Bluffs On Thompsons Creek near St. Francisville(nearly 100 miles from N.O.) is probably the best course in Louisiana. It has hosted a number of Southeastern Conference golf championships and LSU tournaments. With a slope of 150 from the tips, it's all you need. but well designed for ladies also-has received" ladies friendly" awards. Nice blend of holes, several memorable(#4,#9,#10, #12,#17,#18) with huge, fast , undulating greens.

Built by Palmer's firm and usually not crowded.Nice small hotel with restaurant near clubhouse. It's not near anything except the tourist town of St. Francisville where they roll up the streets at dusk.

I always play it when I'm in the area.

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2002, 05:31:08 AM »
Yes, it is one of the best in the state and the best Palmer course I have ever played. Check on conditioning before you play though.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2002, 06:42:27 AM »
I went to GCSAA in NO in 1992 and played City Park alone one day.  About the course, I only remember that there were some very good green complexes.  About the experence, I played alone and was forced into a long rain delay inside a rain shelter with John Larouquette and his golf buddies who were in carts. They were a riot listening to them needle each other and they gave me a crash course on NO and where to go for good eats, and what to order...  I damn near choked in that stuffy humid little wooden box shelter with all their cigar smoke however... :P
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2002, 08:10:23 AM »
Tex,
Your mention of the inn & restaurant reminded me of the suprisingly outstanding meal I had at the Bluffs.  I recall it was a tenderloin with crawfish?  and it was damn good with a medium cabernet.
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

texsport

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2002, 01:20:38 PM »
Mike
     You're right about the food at the Bluffs. Was the piano player with the red suspenders and Panama hat playing during dinner?
     Of course, the best time to play The Bluffs is in the spring when all the azaleas are in bloom. Problem then is to find a hotel.

Texsport  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back