News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Tiger Woods at Applebrook Golf Club
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
Guys:

Here is my latest blog about Tiger Woods, sure to make some controversy about who is a decent human being or not in this world.  
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/golf-today/2011/jul/11/tiger-woods-i-told-you-so/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:14:29 AM by Richard_Mandell »

Mac Plumart

Re: Tiger Woods at Applebrook Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
Very cool!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
Thanks for this Richard.

I'll wait before asking any questions about one of my favorite courses in the area, assuming others will do so for me.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brock Peyer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
I am glad to hear something positive about the guy.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Not TMZ worthy, so therefore, not news. A shame really.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
Tiger is not as a bad a guy as he is made out to be, like all of us he is flawed.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
Richard,
That was a heart-warming article.  Thanks for bringing it to my notice.
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Richard
Some of us, have not based our opinion of Mr Woods on hearsay, newspaper articles, and gut instinct.

I have seen him twice in my country and he acted like an arsehole both times.

Am I really supposed to change my opinion, because of what you have seen, and your gut instinct ?

I think you should stick to what you write about best rather than finger wagging at your readers.

IMHO

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
Nice piece, Richard. As others have illustrated, people will take different things from it. I enjoyed your take, found it refreshing.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
A very nice gesture by Tiger...
H.P.S.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
Because his personal transgressions became fodder for the media does not make him any more flawed than many of us.  There are things in many people's pasts (mine included) which we're happy to keep there and buried.

If the media were invited to to event, they would have taken pix, wrutten an artiucle, then speculated on what the spin motive was for this appearance.  No media coverage and maybe this was fulfilling a promise he made to his Dad before he passed as the miliatry was large part of his life.

I remember meeting Earl @ Winged Foot.  Didn't know me from Adam and we had a terrific conversation.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:55:11 PM »
Tiger is not as a bad a guy as he is made out to be, like all of us he is flawed.

He's a little more than merely flawed like the rest of us.  Where do you draw the line between being merely flawed and being a covert lying egomaniacal skumbag degenerate poor excuse of a man? 

I never said how flawed he or anyone else was. Heck I bet there are people on this site who have done things just as bad, if not worse than Tiger. Almost all of us have done things that we regret.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
Great observation about Tiger !

Was there any mention of his visit by the local press ?  If so, what was said ?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and browsing your Book of the Year 2007, "Pinehurst Home of American Golf, The Evolution of a Legend".
It is a must read by everyone here on GCA !

SL_Solow

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Without commenting on the value of Tiger as a person, I note that the Golf Channel covered Tiger's interaction with the wounded vets and included film.  Nonetheless, whether he is a "good guy" , a "bad guy" or a "mixed bag", he should be commended for this activity.  I note he has always shown a willingness to help vets and attributed his interest to his Dad's service as a Green Beret.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
Brian Ewen:  I'm not asking YOU to do anything, really.  If the guy wasn't nice to you then you have moreknowledgethan the rest of us. I was really just finger-wagging at the media, if you want to call it that.   But thanks for the compliment about asking me to write more about what I write best about.  I appreciate that.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
It would seem Tiger is splitting ways with Steve.  It doesn't look like it was a mutual decision..

http://www.3news.co.nz/Tiger-Woods-and-Steve-Williams-announce-split/tabid/415/articleID/219503/Default.aspx

"Williams, who remained loyally tight-lipped during Woods' 2009 marriage scandal, says he is 'very disappointed' the partnership which led the pair to 12 victories at majors is ending."

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
TW seems to not like when those in his circle go outside of it. Fluff got too big....Out. Butch got all the credit....Out. Hank tried to fix Charles Barkely...Out.

I can't help but think that TW let Steve caddie for Adam Scott as a test of his loyalty, if he does,....Out.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
I think it's simply time for a change.  Let's face it, he's essentially starting a new era of his career.  Best to make a clean break from the past and build a completely new team...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
I think it's simply time for a change.  Let's face it, he's essentially starting a new era of his career.  Best to make a clean break from the past and build a completely new team...

Too bad Tiger didn't fully embrace the fresh start and leave Steinberg, too. Perhaps he needs to hold on to one member of Team Tiger that he still trusts.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
Anyone catch the clip on Feherty last night showing the Applebrook event? I didn't even recognize the course from my brief time there 10 years ago. Loved seeing the guy with the left leg issue wallop the ball. Would that qualify as building a stance? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back